ELR "field" competitions (~1000-2000 yards)?

Mendocino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Colorado
Anyone know of any extreme long range field matches? I see lots of 1k FCSA governed stuff but nothing that is really "in the field." I'm looking for something that would require a 50/375/475 etc and is not just on the extended (1k) square range. Any suggestions? If Competition Dynamics put a match like this on would there be any interest?

Jeff

Home

Brad Peck is the MD. His Hide profile is here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/members/mod-adahy.html

I've never shot the match at Ask Fork, but Brad but on a match at Gunsite (with Cory designing the stages) that I shot and it was a blast, but only out to 1K. Not sure if the Ash Fork match is 1K+ or not.....

....and, if CD puts on a big boom stick match, I'd likely be in, just as long as I don't have to carry my .408CT too far - it's heavy!

Last edited:
I think a dedicated ELR match would be pretty cool. MOA or better starting at like 1000 and going out to 2000-2500 yards. Hell it would be worth breaking out the 338 for a match like that. I haven't played with mine a whole lot because at 1k and under there are cheaper options with less recoil. You start getting farther out there though and it would make for an interesting competition.

Rich

Oo
Home

Brad Peck is the MD. His Hide profile is here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/members/mod-adahy.html

I've never shot the match at Ask Fork, but Brad but on a match at Gunsite (with Cory designing the stages) that I shot and it was a blast, but only out to 1K. Not sure if the Ash Fork match is 1K+ or not.....

....and, if CD puts on a big boom stick match, I'd likely be in, just as long as I don't have to carry my .408CT too far - it's heavy!
I've participated in the Ashfork regular match and that's usually out to 1100 or so I think.

They have put on elr matches in the past, that I haven't attended, but can confirm hat they are till like 2k yards I believe.

Ashfork is like 2hrs North of Phoenix, or about 45min West of flagstaff. The shooting position is set in a hill, sort of speak. And your shooting at the flatland below. So it's all your shooting is done at a angle between 1 to 8%, depending on the distance. The 'range' itself goes as far as the eye can see.

I remember one of the times I was there, a couple of them were switching off shooting a 338 edge, to see how many hits in a row on the mile target they can get. I think Brad led the bunch with 6 or 8.

Last edited:
There was one ELR match at the Ashfork location. IIRC the insurance cost was prohibitive because we had a forward observer/spotter protected inside of a large loader bucket. It was still hard for him to spot shots even being another 1000Y in front of the firing point. Really that was the part of the match that became controversial, just trying to see impacts or where the misses went. Well as you can imagine running a ELR match can be much more difficult than a regular match.

The farther steels were 4'x8" sheets placed sideways and vertically. They were from 1800Y to 2356Y I believe, still hard for us to hit in the wind. Also there were some smaller 1-2 moa steels to shoot at a mile and less.

Maybe with video systems or electronic flashers a ELR match would be easier to do. Of course going that route things are going to get costly.

Here's a link to that match. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...treme-long-range-match-cof-updated-w-pic.html

Anyone know of any extreme long range field matches? I see lots of 1k FCSA governed stuff but nothing that is really "in the field." I'm looking for something that would require a 50/375/475 etc and is not just on the extended (1k) square range. Any suggestions? If Competition Dynamics put a match like this on would there be any interest?
Jeff
It looks to me like there would be some interest. Would it be limited somewhat by the number of shooters with the hardware and means to attend? Sure, probably, but worth floating IMO.

Make it accessible, but not a breeze. Make it affordable and worth a person's time and $ to attend, and they will come. My opinion only and worth very little, but that's my take.

There was one ELR match at the Ashfork location. IIRC the insurance cost was prohibitive because we had a forward observer/spotter protected inside of a large loader bucket. It was still hard for him to spot shots even being another 1000Y in front of the firing point. Really that was the part of the match that became controversial, just trying to see impacts or where the misses went. Well as you can imagine running a ELR match can be much more difficult than a regular match.

The farther steels were 4'x8" sheets placed sideways and vertically. They were from 1800Y to 2356Y I believe, still hard for us to hit in the wind. Also there were some smaller 1-2 moa steels to shoot at a mile and less.

Maybe with video systems or electronic flashers a ELR match would be easier to do. Of course going that route things are going to get costly.

Here's a link to that match. http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...treme-long-range-match-cof-updated-w-pic.html

Thats interesting that they had so much trouble. I read that they used 1" steel. Have they tried using much thinner(1/4inch) and lighter steel and hanging it? At that distance, they really don't need to be thick. My buddy told me about that trick, saying the thin steel rings much better. He uses some really thin steel/aluminum alloy(I might be wrong of the exact alloy, but I just know its soft metal). Its all dented up from over the years, but noone is worried about ricochets at a mile... I know at 2250 we till heard the ring of a hit.

Even if you couldn't hear it, you would definitely see it swing...

Last edited:
Thats interesting that they had so much trouble. I read that they used 1" steel. Have they tried using much thinner(1/4inch) and lighter steel and hanging it? At that distance, they really don't need to be thick. My buddy told me about that trick, saying the thin steel rings much better. He uses some really thin steel/aluminum alloy(I might be wrong of the exact alloy, but I just know its soft metal). Its all dented up from over the years, but noone is worried about ricochets at a mile... I know at 2250 we till heard the ring of a hit.

Even if you couldn't hear it, you would definitely see it swing...

That would work much better by being able to see a reaction of some kind.

The steel was generously donated for this event so it's what was used. The match as a whole was a experiment in that we learned a lot about what didn't work so well and how aspects could be changed and improved.

I think at this point there would need to be a large money investment to really see a ELR event come to fruition at the Ashfork location. I'm pretty sure that $$$$ would be coming out of the competitors pockets through entry fee's.

I've seen JTG's 3' steel rounds. That'd work pretty good. IMHO, it's possible John won that event??? He thought he saw his splashes on the steel, the spotters opinion differed. I was fortunate to hit the closer steels, the strikes being obvious.

Ctressler has been working on flashers for a couple years now. Got em working pretty good. I bet he'd make some up for us for a little financial gain, wink.

Last edited: