ELR Scope

BCX

Powder Consumer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2018
    What i the preferred scope for ELR shooting. We shot 1 mile on friday and my Hensoldt 4-16 on a 20 moa base left me 13 mils of elevation from a 100 zero. My SB 5-25 on the same rifle left me w 11 mils. I needed about 19.5 total mils w the load i was shooting. I guess i could add a Spuhr 10 moa mount or buy a NF. My buddy ran a NF and was able to dial up w the turret.

you're gonna want more elevation in the rail and mount. I think im somewhere around 27mil with my razor gen 2. 20moa base and 20moa spuhr

something with 30+ mils of elevation adjustment plus 30-40moa of rail/mount puts you in a good spot until you start needing an era-tac adjustable

Dam the SB 5-25 is behind in times. MTC turrets only 22 total mils. I was thinking a additional 10 moa I’m not sure if I could zero at 100 w a total of 40 moa

Even w the MTC non locking turrets? I wasn’t sure..... didn’t want to get stuck w a 20moa mount

6.5 Prc 147/150 going 3110 maybe 3200 fingers crossed next batch for testing. I tried 1 mile for the hell of it w factory 147 held a good group just could never dial it on target even w hold over on reticle due to wet conditions and fog. This handloads I believe needs 16.5-17 mils for 1 mile w 100 yard zero.

For the couple times a year I’m going to attempt 1 mile I don’t want to lose my 100 yard zero or lose clarity I’m the scope

I'll sell you one at a great price if and when the ZCOMP is released. And don't let the SFP scare you away lol.

Reactions: BCX
    I use about 18-20 power going out to a mile with my 50 and 338

The problem you will run into and some guys here may disagree but.... When going further distances, you are using a bigger caliber which means more recoil. After I take my shot, I like the place the reticle back on where my point of aim was before the round impacts. If it's a miss, then I know about how much I missed (left right up or down) If I am zoomed way in, it is really hard to get back on target because of the tight FOV and the low clarity at higher powers. I use a K624i with SKMR3 reticle

This is why I'm a firm believer in Christmas tree type reticles in ELR scopes. No matter how much mechanical elevation you have, if you shoot far enough, you are going to max it out and then some.

That's why I chose the Khales K624i with AMR reticle on my .300NM. Scope doesn't have the most elevation, but the reticle is about perfect for ELR shooting, and you can always pair it with a Charlie TARAC if you really want to shoot far with it.

I'm in the middle of building a 375 cheytec imp. with a goal of 1 to 2 miles with it out here in AZ. What scopes would you guys recommend considering for this build?

Been dealing with this myself. In your case, an option would be the Steiner M5xi 3-15x50 with TReMoR2 reticle: 52 mils of total internal travel with 26 mils on the turret, then an additional 38 mils on the tree reticle for a grand total of 64 mils. Depending on your target, the 15x should be enough given the tendency for heavy mirage down there. I've been keen to take a whack at that setup, but the Steiner can't take the cold up here. I can go to a mile with a straight 10x easy on standard IPSC target, and any caliber for that range don't need more than like 19 mils or so, so in warm air at altitude you should be easy to 2 miles as long as the mag range works.

Yeah, I'm looking for an ELR scope too. March sent me an update on the Genesis scope. The price is up where a NF, a Charlie Tarac and a Spuhr mount would cost. The March is about 9-10OZ lighter. Since the whole scope moves instead of the reticle it should optically clearer but.... would you end up staring down at the end of a 38" barrel when shooting out to 2 + miles...??

Choosing the March for a dedicated ELR combo, if you can afford it, would seem to be a simple solution but going for the SB or NF and Charlie Tarac combo will still give you the advantage of using your scope for other disciplines of shooting like PRS, Another advantage is you have more choices for reticles...

Been dealing with this myself. In your case, an option would be the Steiner M5xi 3-15x50 with TReMoR2 reticle: 52 mils of total internal travel with 26 mils on the turret, then an additional 38 mils on the tree reticle for a grand total of 64 mils. Depending on your target, the 15x should be enough given the tendency for heavy mirage down there. I've been keen to take a whack at that setup, but the Steiner can't take the cold up here. I can go to a mile with a straight 10x easy on standard IPSC target, and any caliber for that range don't need more than like 19 mils or so, so in warm air at altitude you should be easy to 2 miles as long as the mag range works.

Take a look at the M7xi, Steiner bills it’s temp range -40 to 64 c. Not sure if they’re in the wild yet, but would fit your needs.

Where are you in the bush? You’re pic looks like somewhere on the Yukon. If you ever make it into Anchorage there’s a growing contingent of us here. Also some good guys up in Fairbanks we shoot with occasionally.

I'm thinking I'll probably figure out the scope and get the rifle going with whichever one I choose. 30 mills should get me close to 1.5 miles then save up for the Charlie Tarac. Rifle is being built with a Bat L 2" round, 38" Bartlien 5r 1 in 7 twist. Barrel and XLR BMG Chassis.

Reactions: jasent
    I'm thinking I'll probably figure out the scope and get the rifle going with whichever one I choose. 30 mills should get me close to 1.5 miles then save up for the Charlie Tarac. Rifle is being built with a Bat L 2" round, 38" Bartlien 5r 1 in 7 twist. Barrel and XLR BMG Chassis.

So will this to be a 416 Barrett necked down to .375"?

BTW-Just remember if you go with a newly released scope and use a Charlie TARAC that they make an adapter to fit it.

So will this to be a 416 Barrett necked down to .375"?

BTW-Just remember if you go with a newly released scope and use a Charlie TARAC that they make an adapter to fit it.

Chambering will be an improved cheytec case for around 100fps gain over the standard cheytec.
    My other elr rifle has a Kahles 624i on it. But I would prefer a little more magnification on this rifle. I can always dial it down but be able to turn it up when conditions allow.

What you guys need to buy is my Nightforce B.E.A.S.T. with MOAR reticle, Nightforce unmount, lens shade and Tenebreax caps for $ 3000. In mint condition :)

We ran two 375 Snipetacs - Improved 375 Cheytac with 4.5-27x56 Gen II Razor MRADs with 80 moa rails this covered everything from 100 yards out to 3000 +

We also had a Hot Rod 375 pushing a 400 gr Flat Line at easy 3361 fps with the Gen II Razor MRAD running a 50 moa setting on a lockable base that could cover the same.

With your set up if you get something in a 40 moa rail it will cover what your 6.5s capable of.

Good Luck

Oneshot.

We ran two 375 Snipetacs - Improved 375 Cheytac with 4.5-27x56 Gen II Razor MRADs with 80 moa rails this covered everything from 100 yards out to 3000 +

We also had a Hot Rod 375 pushing a 400 gr Flat Line at easy 3361 fps with the Gen II Razor MRAD running a 50 moa setting on a lockable base that could cover the same.

With your set up if you get something in a 40 moa rail it will cover what your 6.5s capable of.

Good Luck

Oneshot.
    Have a 50moa rail on order from Bat Machine that should get to the smith in a few weeks.
    Anyone know anything about the Trijicon accupower 5-50 scopes? Supposed to have a 100 moa vertical adjustment and I think they have a mil version.

Reactions: X50PLT
    Recently took delivery of my first dedicated ELR rig, a 338 Lapua Improved. It has a 40 MOA base, and it's going to be a bit before I purchase a new scope. I am strongly leaning towards taking my 4.5x27 Razor off of a .223 Trainer and putting it on the Lapua.

My other options in swapping scopes around would be a 5.5 x 22 NXS sfp, or a 4.5 x 30 Athlon EtR.

Since I just had to return a broken Athlon BTR that was on a 300 WM for about 500 rounds to the manufacturer, I'll probably put the Athlon on the trainer with much less recoil.

Thoughts?

Reactions: camotoe
    Recently took delivery of my first dedicated ELR rig, a 338 Lapua Improved. It has a 40 MOA base, and it's going to be a bit before I purchase a new scope. I am strongly leaning towards taking my 4.5x27 Razor off of a .223 Trainer and putting it on the Lapua.

My other options in swapping scopes around would be a 5.5 x 22 NXS sfp, or a 4.5 x 30 Athlon EtR.

Since I just had to return a broken Athlon BTR that was on a 300 WM for about 500 rounds to the manufacturer, I'll probably put the Athlon on the trainer with much less recoil.

Thoughts?

That's what I would do