ELR Training Day - 2 kilometers

sinister

Rifle Pointer
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2002
Midland, Georgia
Our German friend Georg Holthaus (of Waffen Holthaus), my colleague Ben, and I (calling winds) spent the day running twin DTA SRS .338 Lapua Magnums from 500 to 2,000 Meters today.

Our goal was to hit the 2-kilometer mark using 300-grain .338 loads (Lapua Scenars in COR-BON factory ammo; Berger Gen II OTM Hybrids; and Sierra Match Kings). Georg's prior experience was 1200 Meters and Ben's was 1,711 yards.

We ran JBM tables and found the Match Kings were going to go trans-sonic around 1600 Meters, the Bergers 1800, and the Scenars at 2000 (elevation 4,500 feet and around 70F ambient). Ever-optimistic we forged ahead, hoping the projos would ride trans-sonic transition well enough to hit full-height E-type silhouettes.

That was a bit too hopeful.

Georg had an easy second-round Match King hit at 1500, and Ben had a first-round right-edge hit with a Berger at 1800.

Unfortunately when we tried for the 2,000-Meter targets with the COR-BONS the wheels fell off. Both rifles immediately started busting primers, requiring field bolt strips to clear debris from firing pin tip cup ruptures. What we felt was our best ammo for the try fell flat after the sixth busted primer.

We had around 35 Bergers and 40 300 SMKs left to try to kill 2-kilometer steel. With flags out at 500, 1000, and 1500 Meters we still weren't able to put enough mo-jo on the scopes, guns, and bullets to consistently and predictably ride through trans-sonic that far.

Still, it was a good training day.

Georg (in Multicam) and Ben:

javxi9.jpg

Re: ELR Training Day - 2 kilometers

I don't know about the batch -- it was from the same one I fired supporting the Mythbusters episode. I've heard of others having problems with the COR-BON, though.

I don't think the Bergers tolerate the trans-sonic transition. Everything prior to 1800 was spot-on for call, and at 2,000 I couldn't buy a hit to save my life.

These Bergers and Match Kings are flying around 2750-2800 fps from 1-10 twist barrels. Ben's rifle had a suppressor.