• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

EoTech VS Elcan

paramil

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
I have noticed that allot of people prefer the EoTech over the Elcan, aside form being almost half the price, why? Is the Elcan really that good of a sight to be worth twice the price? Mounting on a M4 style rifle any issues with high of the optics and cheek weld? Any issue with night vision usage between the two?

I know this is more of a spotter question but its something that peeked my interest.

Re: EoTech VS Elcan

Let me clarify on the night vision, what I really want to know (secondary question) is if you can use the PVS-14 with the Elcan? If so, in front or in back?

The elcan (I'm assuming you mean Specter DR). Is a totally different animal- 1-4 power with the flick of a switch, illuminated with a Acog style reticle.

It costs more because it's lower run, and more involved.

The people who prefer EO tech, probably don't have coin for the Elcan, or don't like the stupid and problem prone ELCAN externally adjustable base.

Elcan should really jump into the 21st century and put the adjustments on the inside of the optic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The elcan (I'm assuming you mean Specter DR). </div></div>

That is correct.

But is it compatible with the PVS-14 or would you have to step up to the PVS-22 to be efficient like you would with the ACOG.

I own an Elcan 1-4 and 1.5-6, I have also owned two Eotechs. My instructing experience also keeps me in close contact with both products.

Personally I prefer the 1-4 Elcan over the Eotech for numerous reasons. Primarily though, I have witnessed and experienced numerous failures with the Eotechs but the only failure I have encountered with the Elcan has been the iron sights breaking or falling off.

The Eotech EXPS and EPS series have addressed the primary Eotech problem which was the battery compartment running inline with the weapon system. This caused many batteries to leak and caused battery contacts to compress and cause the sight to turn off and on during recoil.

The two sights are really and apples to oranges comparison. I think it would be a better comparison with Elcan vs the many 1-4 optics with illuminated rets and compare the EOtech to the Aimpoint models available... In that case I would side with the Aimpoints but that is another thread entirely.

As far as night vision I think you would have to have a device like a PVS26.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have witnessed and experienced numerous failures with the Eotechs but the only failure I have encountered with the Elcan has been the iron sights breaking or falling off.
</div></div>

I've never been an EO tech hater, but I agree- get the XPS. I had to do a battery change on the range with a AA model, and when I pulled the batteries the rubber gaskets and spring battery contacts came out with the batteries- And my most recent issue was adjusting one (brand new unit) 4 times to get it to adjust once.

I heard from a buddy that he slaps the EO tech on the side after making an adjustment to give himself a little better insurance of the system adjusting.

I think that's lame as hell, but I'm going to start doing it in the future after my last experience. To be fair though I was in Iraq and the day was 110F+ so maybe something inside was stuck from heat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I heard from a buddy that he slaps the EO tech on the side after making an adjustment to give himself a little better insurance of the system adjusting.

I think that's lame as hell, but I'm going to start doing it in the future after my last experience. To be fair though I was in Iraq and the day was 110F+ so maybe something inside was stuck from heat.
</div></div>

I do this as well. Its not every time, but once in a while I'll make an adjustment and it wont take until after I fire the first round. Sometimes two rounds. Same goes for my ACOG. I have made it a ritual to tap the side of my EOTech, ACOG, or Aimpoint with a spent cartridge case. Might save a few rounds at the range...

As for the ELCAN, I've used the M145 on the M240B and M249. They are solid sights. Not sure if they are worth the extra $$.

Chase B.