• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Equipment Question - Tactical Cartridge Holder

Re: Equipment Question - Tactical Cartridge Holder

Well a friend of mine saw it at the Shot Show, and he liked it. They did have pics of a Four round holder on their site but took it off. It was sitting on a table and not mounted ...maybe they will add it on again mounted. Some people prefer DBM sticks, but I've seen people with both scrambling during emergency drills or multiple target engagement drills fumbling around with rear stock cartridge holders. Just thought the concept was a nice idea for access to ammunition or special purpose rounds. Thanks

At a recent course I took we practiced opposite shoulder injury shooting drills. People with things on their rear stock quickly found out how much they got in the way so you may want to practice with it in this capacity.

I'm not military, but my observation is that having a spare removable magazine works as the best cartridge holder. I too saw lots of people fumbling around in timed drills with rounds from the rifle mounted gear. Those with magazines just slapped a new one in and kept on trucking. *

* I realize not all rifles have removable magazines. But I'd consider putting money towards one of those systems first than trying to mount cartridges on my rifle stock. IMO.

I agree, if you have the choice a DBM Rifle would be best. But in a time based situation (and there are too many possible scenarios) even an extra mag changeout would take more time than rounds accessible by the ejection port to get a round off. But like anything else there are good points and bad points about everything....we just need to be prepared as best we can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaibil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But in a time based situation (and there are too many possible scenarios) even an extra mag changeout would take more time than rounds accessible by the ejection port to get a round off. </div></div>

Hmmmm... 4 rounds in the internal magazine + up to 4 in the tactical cartridge holder that need to be fed individually + one in the chamber = 9 rounds. 10 round Drop magazine + 1 in the chamber = 11 rounds. I fail to see the advantage of your argument. Let alone after you have fired your 9 rounds and need to reload single rounds every time... where the guy with the magazine just clicks another one in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaibil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just thought the concept was a nice idea for access to ammunition or <span style="text-decoration: underline">special purpose rounds</span>. </div></div>
+1 for that purpose though

There's no argument from me about your opinion that a magazine fed weapon is a better choice in all respects. I'm just a firm believer in being prepared, and I don't know of anyone who lays a spare magazine down in a prepared position believing they would have to reload. We never assume situations like that would occur...until they happen. If a situation occurred where a DBM Rifle needed to reload, I would say it was a magazine malfunction, a turkey shoot, or you need to beat feet. But for those who don't have a DBM, Murphy's Law teaches us to be prepared. In being confident with myself and my weapon, I'd be more concerned with getting a round chambered to end the threat...then I'd drop box and reload. We all have our own opinions, and I respect them all. Thanks