• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ever had a primer pop while using a hand tool?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
Have not had it happen to me, but always wondered has anyone here had a primer explode while using a hand priming tool (ie Lee Auto Prime)? I can't imagine what my wife would do if a primer went off indoors while we were watching TV. I have smashed one with a hammer in my garage and I went deaf in one ear for at least 10 minutes. It was freaking LOUD.

Re: Ever had a primer pop while using a hand tool?

Some of those hand primers have disclaimers not to use Federal primers for some odd reason.

I'm smashed so many primers with my Dillon 550b that it's not even funny and I've never had one go bang.

Knock on wood.

Chris

they're even loud when they go off inside the vacuum cleaner
whistle.gif

No. I've had them turn sideways and crush, turn upside down and seat, ripped the edge and peel it down the side so that it left part of the edge outside the pocket.

Never had one go off though.

Yeah,
28 years or reloading here, many of that with a progressive. hundreds of mangled bent ripped & torn primers, but no pop.

I popped a Federal primer in my Dillon 650.Scared the hell out of me and now I wear safety glasses no matter what primers I use. At the time alls I had was Federal primers so I gave it a shot. Never again. My fault I do not follow directions. A hard lesson learned.

i popped a primer on a loaded round while I was using a bullet puller. The bullet had seperated already and I never found the pieces of the back end of the RCBS puller.

I was wearing glasses and had I iPod headphones on. It was still loud and scared me pretty good.

"Ever had a primer pop while using a hand tool?"

No. But even though I've reloaded since '65 I've only done maybe 10-12 thousand rounds so that may not have yet been a good test. ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maxpower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're even loud when they go off inside the vacuum cleaner
whistle.gif
</div></div>

So true!

I've popped one in over 30 years of reloading. A piece of 7 1/2 shot got in the primer seater on my 550 (shotgun reloader was 3 ft away) and it went while seating. I moved the shotgun reloader across the room!

I had six primers blow inside one of the primer loading tubes for a Dillon. Scared the poop out of me. Shot the end of the tube into my arm and bulged the tube pretty good.

Yep, lit about 50 of them off in a Lee auto prime. Who knew there were .45ACP cases w/ small pistol primer pockets?

Deaf for a day or three, hand numb from the fore arm down for ~ 12 hours. Never found the case but the priming tool remained relatively intact, lifted the lip over the shell holder, fragged the plastic cover all else was good.

No collateral damage as I was a bachelor and the gun shop down the street had 2 on the shelf.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, but had one pop!! in a Dillon.

Always wear safety glasses. </div></div>

Same here....

Keith

Crushed many in the Dillon never had an issue. Squished several thousand in the Lee priming tool never any problems.

+2 Knock on wood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No collateral damage as I was a bachelor and the gun shop down the street had 2 on the shelf.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

grin.gif

Now that rings of the truth! I have had incidents that took some spackle, paint and airfreshener before the wife got home, but now I keep the ammo in another room when practicing my IPSC draw...

My Lee Loadmaster has popped off maybe three primers, and crushed many, many more.
I've yet to have a hand primer do it (go bang), but I have an older RBCS hand prime that I won't use for SR primers anymore-just doesn't feed them right all the time and I don't want to light one off.

+1 on the Lee Loader - back in the mid 60's as a young teenager I loaded hundreds & hundreds of .38 & .357 and there's no telling how many primers I popped hammerin' those babies home. Burned the fingers a little and scared the hell out of me but kinda got used to it. Have never had a problem with my RCBS hand primer and have never even tried to use my press to prime. Getting ready to start loading for my .50 bmg soon and I have an M2 Precision primer tool that looks like it will be really nice for priming in the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81Z4ME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. I've had them turn sideways and crush, turn upside down and seat, ripped the edge and peel it down the side so that it left part of the edge outside the pocket.

Never had one go off though. </div></div>
+1

Yep, had one go off a couple years ago. Was using a RCBS hand priming tool, and one lit off - scared the crap out of me and my dog... Always wear glasses, and keep the mouth of the case pointed away from your face!!!

One and had to change my pants. Lee hand primer. Wear glasses and at that time I 'm glad I did. Couldn't hear for two days. Broke the cast push rod in priming tool.

NEVER, but I've done maybe 1500 if that many in a hand primer.

Maybe 2000 seating using an RCBS Rock Chucker.

I'm embarrassed to estimate how many I've loaded on the Dillon 550...and the Star (both .45 and .38/.387)...and the RCBS Green Machine...

Not as many as some people I've heard about, but more than many others.

What I *can* tell you is that it is NOT a good idea to take the blank powder out of a .50 BMG blank cartridge (well, that part's okay, there was some demand for blanks then and all my friends' needs WERE met...) and then put the primed case on an electric stove element to pop it off without being close to the resulting explosion.

Think that one through. I thought I had, but my thinking was WRONG.

Took a sledgehammer and pliers and a few whacks on the just-recently red-hot element to straighten out that 3/4-inch diameter "U-Turn" it put in the element.

If you think regular primers are loud...well, I know a woman who saw someone get killt outside of Denver by dropping a tray of .50 BMG primers. I hadn't heard that story yet when I had my little adventure.

Never had one go off while loading.
Blew one while taking live primers out of empty brass. Spilt my beer and put a cigarett burn on the chair. Finished the job by putting a little drop of oil in each one.