• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes eye glasses, POI change ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I just got some new eye glasses. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I still shoot with my right eye though. With these new spectacles should I expect a POI change ?

Re: eye glasses, POI change ?

? don't think it would matter a lot , but i had issues with my toric contact lenses (when i tilted my head a little behind the scope the contact lens would rotate)(think it was throwing me a little) and strictly shoot with glasses.

i noticed with my glasses even with the diopter in my scope, i had a hell of a time seeing the clear target or clear crosshairs and had to flip back and forth between glasses and no glasses to get a decent compromise. so i went and got a new script and i am waiting on my new glasses and scope and i hope it will be easier. i always hit where i aimed either way. i have always had some issues with scoped rifles and glasses. i cant use an Eotech or bushnell holosight. the reticle looks all fuzzy.

You can only answer this question for yourself. It is dependent on the correction in your lenses. For the most part, your brain will need some time to make make the adjustment and the only way to achieve this is to wear the glasses. I see better with my glasses as it is easier for me to shoot with both eyes open but it took some time. I really notice a big improvement using my Aimpoint as the dot is very crisp. You may have to adjust your head position so you are looking though the center of your glasses not the top edge.

OK, I suppose this should be minimal because it's not like I was blind before right ?

I was just curious what to expect tomorrow at the range.

I shoot mostly with my prescription glasses on. every now and then I shoot with contacts.but I have no POI shift going from glasses to contacts ( diff script)to no glasses in any of my scopes so I would think you have nothing to worry about.

You will get a POI shift with different glasses. You want to use the same glasses you zero with due to imperfections of the lenses. We have seen up to a 4 MOA shift by just changeing glasses.

unless you have birth controls (as they have the same thickness and correction all the way through) all you need to do is make sure you look through the optical center of your specs since thats where your scrip is consistant and it tapers off the further out you go

As a former optician, and person with awful vision, I can add to this conversation!

I have RX shooting glasses made out of a material called Trivex. Trivex is like polycarbonate but much nicer. It is highly recommended for shooting glasses. You can get it tinted if you desire. My shooting glasses have a pinkish tone to help me see orange clay pigeons (I am also red-green color deficient).

If you are getting shooting glasses made, and most often shoot rifles, or shotguns where your aim pose is a certain position. I.e. cheek weld.

You will normally be looking through a certain part of the lens. Go to your rifle/shotgun, put on your glasses, and take a wet-erase marker, put a dot right where you look through. So the dot is right in the middle of the spot you look through when looking down the barrel. If they cut the optical center at this vertical level, it will increase the optical clarity for your shooting position.

IT IS PROBABLY NOT IN THE CENTER OF THE LENS!

Take these lenses to your optician, marked this way, and have them put the optical center at that point. Usually, the optical center is lined up at the center of the frame, unless you have progressives.

It is very easy for them to measure this spot, vertically it is called a seg-height. Horizontally, they would probably still use your normal pupillary distance.

Note: people with spherical prescriptions will not see much difference using this process. People with astigmatism WILL see an improvement, based on how much astigmatism you have.

Needing glasses to shoot was a real shock to me. I've learned to adjust the lens of the scope in time. but it is a real shock as you age to suddenly need optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i have always had some issues with scoped rifles and glasses. i cant use an Eotech or bushnell holosight. the reticle looks all fuzzy. </div></div>

With holosights you need to look at the target, not the reticle.

Downtown, excellent post, many years ago a favourite snooker payer of mine wore very funny glasses when he played, the reason is now readily apparent. I try to wear my contacts when shooting for that very reason.