• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

F T/R Competition F-open 1k score

QuietShootr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2003
I shot a 1000x3 yesterday with my TRG-42 .300 off a Harris, and scored 185-1x, 185-2x, and 185-2x. Considering this rifle is NOT set up for F-class, what say the experts here? Decent?

Yeah...That's not what I meant. I meant, how does that stack up with other shooters using field guns and not dedicated match rifles?

I've been beaten in Ftr shooting my 24" 1:12 .308 firing magazine length rounds by a guy shooting a 30" 1:10 firing 208s off of one of those two-foot-wide "bipods". Doesn't mean much to me, since it's about as comparable as racing a Jeep next to a GMC Cyclone. I want to know how it compares to other guys in Jeeps.

In what I'd call "normal" conditions I typically shoot about four to eight points better than that shooting F-TR, but I'm the guy "guy shooting a <s>30"</s> 32" 1:10 firing <s>208s</s> 185s or 200s off of one of those two-foot-wide "bipods".

I don't know anyone who shoots in Open with a setup like yours to give you a point of reference. Reality is that guns like yours typically don't have the barrel life to go out and burn through that many rounds in string fire on a regular basis, and if someone is going to do it that often then they build a purpose built rig for it. I guess the real question is are you satisfied with it.

There was a guy shooting a 300WM in a McM with a bipod at Camp Perry but I didn't notice his scores.

I can say that the 308 rigs like yours typically shoot 10 points or more below the score you posted.

Last edited:
Yeah...That's not what I meant. I meant, how does that stack up with other shooters using field guns and not dedicated match rifles?

I've been beaten in Ftr shooting my 24" 1:12 .308 firing magazine length rounds by a guy shooting a 30" 1:10 firing 208s off of one of those two-foot-wide "bipods". Doesn't mean much to me, since it's about as comparable as racing a Jeep next to a GMC Cyclone. I want to know how it compares to other guys in Jeeps.

I'm not clear what you're trying to find out here. The shooters who use field guns, as you call them, are shooting .308s with 20 or 24 inch barrels at 1000 yards and when the wind is gentle they can get decent scores, but when the wind picks up, stuff happens. So you didn't like getting your butt whooped by a 308 F-TR rifle set up for the game and you decided to use a 300 Win Mag with a 27 inch barrel. That placed you in F-Open where I see very few, if any, "field guns." So I have no data to give you for comparison to "field guns".

Let me say that comparing your scores at one location on one day against other scores at other locations on other days is pointless. The only way to see how you did is to look at the scores for all the shooters at your competition and see where you are with respect to the others.

From what I see though, you are shooting about 2 to 3 MOA at 1000. if you had any 7s it gets worse. The low X-count throughout the day indicates a lack of precision in your equipment unless the conditions were bad, such as heavy mirage and switching, unpredictable wind. I mean, you were shooting a 300 win Mag that should reduce or eliminate a lot of the crap we have to deal with using a .308.

How was it shooting 66+ rounds of 300 Win Mag. I'm a recoilophobe, it's just not something I would ever try.

Perfect, that is exactly what I wanted to know, and confirms what I thought but didn't know for sure. I have shot as high as 195-9x with this rifle, but that was only once.

I'm going to finish this season with this gun, then go back to FTR so I'm not buying barrels every six months.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go back to the scores for the day. Look at the sling guys who were shooting any/any and figure out how many points they did or didn't drop.

Now look at your scores, convert your 10s to Xs, your 9s to 10s. You dropped points on your 8s(-1) and 7s(-2) as those would be 9s and 8s on their target. Now you can compare your score with a supported rifle to guys shooting with slings, and you can see how your wind calls stacked up with theirs. That should give you a feel for how you shot compared to guys shooting something other than the dedicated F class guns.

F-open 1k score

Denys, I won last month, so I'm not feeling very bad about anything.

With regard to recoil- I noticed yesterday that when I drop an 8, it's somewhere in rounds 12-18. I assume that has something to do with it.

Go back to the scores for the day. Look at the sling guys who were shooting any/any and figure out how many points they did or didn't drop.

Now look at your scores, convert your 10s to Xs, your 9s to 10s. You dropped points on your 8s(-1) and 7s(-2) as those would be 9s and 8s on their target. Now you can compare your score with a supported rifle to guys shooting with slings, and you can see how your wind calls stacked up with theirs. That should give you a feel for how you shot compared to guys shooting something other than the dedicated F class guns.

Outstanding idea. As soon as they're posted, I'll do just that and report back.

I'm not following. You are comparing a 300 Win Mag with 308 match rifle. That makes no sense.

He should compare with other F-Open shooters. The caliber difference is critical here.

Denys, I won last month, so I'm not feeling very bad about anything.

With regard to recoil- I noticed yesterday that when I drop an 8, it's somewhere in rounds 12-18. I assume that has something to do with it.

Ok. But the tenor of your post gave me the wrong impression. My fault.

Ok. But the tenor of your post gave me the wrong impression. My fault.

No offense taken, on rereading what I wrote I could see where you could think that.

Interestingly, on looking at last month's results, mine was the high numerical score for the entire match, inclusive of the sling shooters. If you convert as XTR proposes above, it's by quite a margin.

QuietShootr, when I posted my mind did not catch up with my eyes. I now realize you were shooting a .300, my bad. I then read your 2nd post and forgot about the .300 and my mindset was on your .308. I was refering to the .308 shooters that I've shot with at Blakley, Ga. They shoot there Tac rifles and have posted scores in the 570's.

Last edited:
I'm not following. You are comparing a 300 Win Mag with 308 match rifle. That makes no sense.

He should compare with other F-Open shooters. The caliber difference is critical here.

I was talking about comparing your score to the guys shooting any/any or Any/Irons, not palma if he's looking for a comparison to something other than the F-Open shooters. Typically the guys here who shoot Any shoot 196 to clean with a bunch (then again I shoot with a bunch of HM sling shooters and both the current Wimbledon and Leach cup winners).

I shot my second F-Class match, a 600 yard match yesterday. I was in F T/R class shooting a box stock Remington 700P off a Harris bipod with a rear bag. Vortex PST 6-24x50. I was shooting my handloads of FGMM brass, 44gr Varget 175gr Nosler CC BTHP. I would imagine that the targets are scaled the same but I'm sure that adding 400 yards makes thing considerably more dificult.

I shot a 190 5X, 192 7X, 192 6X for a 574-18X.

How could this comparison be useful? How would this show how wind calls stacked up when one guy is shooting a .300wm from a bipod and rear bag, while the rest are shooting rifles chambered in unknown calibers, supported with a sling, and possibly using iron sights? There is a lot more to sling shooting than wind calls. Kind of seems like comparing apples and bananas to me...

Yea, it's apples and bananas, and I guess I should have put the [sarcasm] tag on there for some of you...

...Now you can compare your score with a supported rifle to guys shooting with slings...

The guy is looking to compare his scores to something other than the class he was shooting in. I picked one, and where I shoot doing my comparison he'd have probably have come in well behind most of the shooters there.