• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report factory 5R chrono data and range report

h4everything

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
OK
Factory 5R with leupold MK IV 6.5-20 scope.

168 FGMM 10 shot group and velocity data

Average Velocity-2635 FPS
Extreme spread- 37 FPS
Standard Deviation-11.5

1.326" 10 shot group, could be smaller with a better shooter
IMG_2267.jpg

175 FGMM 5 Shot velocity and group

Average Velocity-2577 FPS
Extreme spread- 39 FPS
Standard Deviation-21

IMG_2265.jpg

HTM 168 Match 10 shot velocity and group

Average Velocity-2713 FPS
Extreme spread- 72 FPS
Standard Deviation-22

IMG_2268.jpg

168 SMK, Hornady 1 fired brass, 46.0 grains varget 2.774" OAL

Average Velocity-2757 FPS
Extreme spread- 39 FPS
Standard Deviation-16 FPS

IMG_2269.jpg

Re: factory 5R chrono data and range report

I purchased a 5R a couple months ago. It shoots much better than I ever hoped. First group at 200 yards with the 175gr Federal Gold Match was 0.75" with only 4 rounds. Ran out of ammo that day. At 300 yards the groups were around 1.5 - 2" with several different 168 reloads & the Hornaday 178 gr super performance ammo. Back out to 500 yards I shot 3 rounds into 3" with the same 175 FGM. My 5R seems to like the 175gr ammo. I just picked up the 168 FGM and Hornady TAP to try out since no one in my area has 175's. Good shooting!

Paul

I like mine too. Running 42 grains of Varget and 43 grains of IMR 4895 with 168 SMKs..... Some work done to it but its a great shooter and much better than the goof pulling the trigger, but will improve with practice. Going to work on it at the range hopefully tomorrow.

I've noted on my 5R that it shoots TONS better with the 175gr SMK vs. the 168gr SMK. I shot through a couple of of boxes of 168gr SMK's before I got an alright load for the 168gr. Once I switched to 175gr SMK's pretty much every load I tried was sub MOA.

I've noted that most everyone else has had the same experience. Switch to the 175gr SMK and you'll like the results.

it will all so shoot the 208gn A-max well with R17.just had to be one to try it and it worked.

hell all of the 5R milspecs shoot I have all three,223,308,and 300wm.

A friend is loading up some new Lapua brass, Fed 210 primer, Winchester 748 powder (not sure on grains yet) and some Hornady 168gr BTHP National Match for me. I will post results ASAP

45 gr of 748.
Results...My first time shooting over 100 yards at Thunder Valley Precision I hit the 1050 yard 12"x12"steel and was all over the 1165 yard plate. Im gonna try some 168gr Amax next.

I have tried 155 scenars/amaxs, 168 hornady hpbt, 175smk is the key. 44 gr varget, magazine length, I just put that load together and is .5moa, I pretty much pulled it outta my ass,

I am new to this forum and I am currently waiting on my 5R to come in in about 2 weeks. I have read alot about the proper way to break in a new barrel. I am looking for some advice on doing this if anyone cares to share thier thoughts.

There are several post out there on barrel break in and a lot of different thoughts. Good to hear about your 5R purchase, you wont be disappointed. For the money I don't think you can beat these guns!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robar498</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to this forum and I am currently waiting on my 5R to come in in about 2 weeks. I have read alot about the proper way to break in a new barrel. I am looking for some advice on doing this if anyone cares to share thier thoughts. </div></div>

It really should be called throat break in since you are smoothing out the tooling marks where the chambering was cut. But these barrels and chambers are hammerforged. I had mine borescoped and while the overall finish was not like a custom barrel there were no tooling marks...as one would expect.

Short story: No need to bother breaking it in. They shoot fine as is. Just find a load that it likes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robar498</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 5R should be here in a week or two. I ordered the .300 win mag. Anyone had any range info on what bullets their .300 win mag likes? </div></div>

x2 waiting on rings to mount my glass, should be this week.
estimated number of rounds for these to break in and bullets the 5R prefers in 300?
thanks