• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

FANTASY RUN and GUN JACK OF ALL TRADES APOCALYPSE RIFLE OPTICS!!!

Edsel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2013
As the title says 🤣

I got bored and stripped one of my rifles down…

It’s 3.1kg (6.8lbs) empty with no clipazine inserted, and uses a pretty accurate 20” pencil barrel.

It’s more in line with the original M16.

I imagine that participating in an 800m 3 - Gun match would give me more insight…

…but truth be told, I’m just too old, fat, slow, and blind.

What optic combo stereotype’s popular nowadays for this kind of setup?

1. RDS with newer 6x magnifier (said to be a bear to use, no idea on parallax)
2. Trijicon TA-11 ACOG with RDS (fixed parallax)
3. Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28mm (nice, bright, with relaxed eyebox - can probably do without a RDS, but heavy and parallax is fixed)
4. SWFA 3-15x42mm or Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42mm (said to be the Gold Standard in its class) with RDS

I know this has all been asked before 🤣

Last edited:
What part of the country are you in? If there are any 2 gun or 3 gun comps anywhere near you, I would guess that it would be worth your time to drive over as a "spectator" and spend the day. Most of the shooters will be happy to show and tell. Most of the ranges have a designated bay or similar for gun handling. Instead of getting a bunch of internet preaching, you could get a handle on what is good and still suits your tastes way faster and more accurately with a live hands-on.

Most of the events are friendly and welcoming even for slow, fat, old and blind peeps.

What part of the country are you in? If there are any 2 gun or 3 gun comps anywhere near you, I would guess that it would be worth your time to drive over as a "spectator" and spend the day. Most of the shooters will be happy to show and tell. Most of the ranges have a designated bay or similar for gun handling. Instead of getting a bunch of internet preaching, you could get a handle on what is good and still suits your tastes way faster and more accurately with a live hands-on.

Most of the events are friendly and welcoming even for slow, fat, old and blind peeps.

Presently in Western Ohio.

But that’s changing in a few weeks…

Have done 5k run and guns with my SWFA 1-4 and Vortex Viper gen 2 1-6. Most of the matches were 300 yards and but one place had targets out to 550 or 600. No problems hitting the 600 with the viper. The thing I learned most was loctite the everything. Torque is not enough when stuff is bouncing around for a few hours.

Now and then I get the urge to buy an Acog and stick it on an upper for no good reason, other than unlikely ones. But honestly I don't even know where they are, shows you how much I use them now days.
(my run and gun days are behind me it seems)

Reactions: Edsel
@Edsel

Since all this has been asked before….

I would rule out the RDS with magnifier. That set up absolutely does not work for me.

I would also rule out the ACOG because the eyebox is too damned constrained. It’s a good optic for 20 years ago, and I used one belonging to Uncle Sam. Just hard to get behind when huffing and puffing.

I’ve been using prismatics for the past few years. I like them for the woods and for local matches out to 600. I started out with the 3X from burris. That’s a good optic for the woods around here. Much to recommend it. Recently I bought the Element 5X prismatic. It’s a bit heavy compared to the 3x but I’m really liking it for shooting across pastures (500 yards, give or take). Nice wide FOV and easy to get behind. Not bombproof like the ACOG, but very useful with the mil reticle.

Have a look at the Element if you’re keen on ACOG. You could piggyback an ACRO P2 if you like. Not good for my use case, but I can see why it might appeal for close work.

@Edsel

Since all this has been asked before….

I would rule out the RDS with magnifier. That set up absolutely does not work for me.

I would also rule out the ACOG because the eyebox is too damned constrained. It’s a good optic for 20 years ago, and I used one belonging to Uncle Sam. Just hard to get behind when huffing and puffing.

I’ve been using prismatics for the past few years. I like them for the woods and for local matches out to 600. I started out with the 3X from burris. That’s a good optic for the woods around here. Much to recommend it. Recently I bought the Element 5X prismatic. It’s a bit heavy compared to the 3x but I’m really liking it for shooting across pastures (500 yards, give or take). Nice wide FOV and easy to get behind. Not bombproof like the ACOG, but very useful with the mil reticle.

Have a look at the Element if you’re keen on ACOG. You could piggyback an ACRO P2 if you like. Not good for my use case, but I can see why it might appeal for close work.

I’ll probably be doing a mishmash of all that.

The only items I would lack are the ATACR and the optics you just mentioned.

On the side - the Trijicon TA-11 ACOG seems to have a generous eyebox - are you referring to the 4x models?

Everything you have described - you should just get a red dot / no magnifier. Think KISS. If you haven't, try to get behind RDS mounts of various heights. To a point - taller is faster, taller is more comfy, and in very specific situations (like a mask) taller is just about a must have.

You mention ACOG - can you force your brain to receive visual inputs for left / right eye only - when both eyes are open? Can you receive visual inputs on the sweep (search and find the next target) from your non optic eye, swing to the target, and as you are coming onto the target - switch to receiving inputs from your optically aided eye, make the hit, and then immediately transition back to receiving inputs from your non optic eye in the search of the next target? (Binden Aiming Concept). Do you normally think in terms of fractionalizing 19" at a distance? - that is what the horizontal stadia equals (shoulder to shoulder at the collar bone). If not, and you don't see yourself putting a fair amount of work in to be as fast as you would be w/ an RDS - I'd skip it.

The rifle you're describing / things most anyone would actually need a rifle for in a defensive situation.... none of that matches up with a high mag optic, and there are a host of problems (not immediately obvious) to offset optics.

You really ought to consider finding a basic carbine class and attending.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
You mention ACOG - can you force your brain to receive visual inputs for left / right eye only - when both eyes are open? Can you receive visual inputs on the sweep (search and find the next target) from your non optic eye, swing to the target, and as you are coming onto the target - switch to receiving inputs from your optically aided eye, make the hit, and then immediately transition back to receiving inputs from your non optic eye in the search of the next target? (Binden Aiming Concept). Do you normally think in terms of fractionalizing 19" at a distance? - that is what the horizontal stadia equals (shoulder to shoulder at the collar bone). If not, and you don't see yourself putting a fair amount of work in to be as fast as you would be w/ an RDS - I'd skip it.

I’ve played with it in the past - worked pretty well in the TA-11 (3.5x) but not in the TA-648 (6x).

My occipital lobes accommodate the Bindon idea as long as I keep using it consistently, but this goes away after a week of disuse (need to “re - train” my eyes).

Everyone who can make hits by index can fake the Binden concept out to @ 50......

I like Short Dots myself (1-4 / daylight vis dot / MIL ret / locking calibrated turrets).

Good luck

Hmm…

Just the level of entertainment I need for the day.

Reactions: JS8588

Hmm…

Just the level of entertainment I need for the day.
I was going to link you to that thread. It's definitely one of the GOATs

You said fantasy, soooooooo...an ACOG with a tree reticle and dual illuminated RMR up top that is actually visible. Power depends on application, but I'd like the above in both TA33 and TA55 flavors.

Ended up using my old Trijicon AccuPower® 1-8x28mm in an equally old Bobro quick - detach mount.

Don’t really like how the rifle now can’t be thrown from hand to hand like it wasn’t even there, but I suppose there’s always a price for everything.

Gained some versatility, lost some handiness.

The good thing is, they all use quick - detach mounts, so I can swap them out based on the mood of the day.

Pew pew pew!

Pew pew pew!