• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Farm ATVs

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west

We bought a small (<50 acres) farm in MS, and are headed there soon. The former owners took their equipment with them.

Looking for advice on an ATV, not a quad but a Kawasaki MULE or Polaris Ranger type.

Brand recommendations? Necessary equipment? Roof, heater, dump bed, winch, etc.?

What to buy and what to avoid?

Last edited:
I own a Polaris ranger crew xp1000 and am happy with it. The price is insane for what you get but there are few capable alternatives. (A mini truck is closest)

Roof is a must. The Polaris factory cab with heat and ac (called North Star) is a 10k option. I’m cheap so I went with the roof, front and rear windshields and aftermarket doors. Heat will be added later if needed.

Also recommend the DR Power dump trailer.

CanAm Defender or Commander are popular here. Both have beds, which you absolutely need. Commander is a little more trail worthy, but neither are off road racers, rather very solid utility vehicles.

Reactions: diverdon
My buddy who owns the ranch I hunt of also owns the local power sports dealership. Every time I go to the ranch there's a new side-by-side to try out. Polaris are okay, but we're really loving the Mules. They just get it done with no fuss.

Roofs or canopies are always good. Doors and sides depend on local conditions. Winches will always find a use. Give a thought to what you're gonna carry and how you'll need to secure it.

I’ve had a Yamaha Rhino for 16 years and my bil had a Kawasaki mule and now a Polaris. Personally I like the better seats and suspension on the Yamaha, but he has been happy with his.
Equipment obviously depends on use. Our place is a pine tree farm in Hinds county MS. We ride through the woods, fire lanes, pipelines, and pastures and we cover a lot of ground. Mostly deer hunting and checking on the farm.
Roof in MS - YES
Winch - may not need with 50 acres, esp if you can get to it with a tractor or truck. In 16 years of use I’ve only stuck mine twice - both in logging equipment ruts. However I do love a winch for pulling deer out of creeks, moving fallen trees, etc. - so useful!
Heater - not in central ms. A windshield to block the wind on cold days is nice. If you get a front windshield, and ride dusty trails, you will need a rear windshield. (to stop from pulling in dust when driving fast.)
Dump bed - I like one - mostly to make cleaning the bed out easier.
Tires - when I had to buy new, I got a higher ply tire since we go over lots of small bush hogged pine tree stumps.
I really want to get a 4 seater since grandkids go so often. I might get one, but these things have all gotten so expensive.

Reactions: mtrmn
I have ran Polaris Rangers for a few years now. I'm assuming that you are going to be using it for actual farm work. Otherwise, you can really easily get away with a 4-wheeler on 50 acres (multiple trips). I say that because there is a significant difference in the cost of a 4-wheeler and SxS.

I do opt for a roof and a windshield. Other than that, I don't care about all of the bells and whistles. It'll be covered in mud, blood, and shit most of the time anyway.

Consider one of these:

Reactions: Lightning8
Consider one of these:

I posed that then deleted it because I hear the prices shot up….but haven’t looked into it

“The Kubota if you're never in a hurry. Rugged and lots a torque. But slow. Very S-l-o-w!”

This.

They wouldn’t let me test it other than in the dealer’s flat lot. If you have any grade or hills it’s even slower. Crazy slow. But utilitarian for sure. We’ve put 10 guys in/on it (plus driver) and it went the same speed (slow) as it did with just the driver. Can carry a ton of weight and has dump bed. HST transmission (not a fan) and sticky/finicky shifter. In my mind it’s great for a flat area where you have all the time in the world and use it for slow heavy work (even towing) only. If you want it to do other things besides that then I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Kubuta RTV-X1140. Wonderful diesel utility vehicle. Can carry 2 and have a long bed or 4 and a short bed. Decent turning radius and good torque. Its diesel, so you can get a tank for farm/dyed diesel (tax free). Their warranty program has been worth it too.
+1. Some of the best money we’ve spent on equipment. Add a roof. Comes standard with hydraulic dump bed. Pulls well above what you would expect. It’s darned near indispensable on our place.

We added a tool rack over the hood for chainsaws and such. Very handy option.

22 acres at our "Green Acres" estate. We have a 2003 Mule side by side and use it daily. Mailbox runs and trash runs to street. Carrying tools, stuff to shed, and so on. Corn to the deer feeders (my wife's pets). We also have a lifted golf cart for just light stuff - mainly riding family around "the farm". The Mule has been very reliable - only issue so far was replacing starter.

As said, dont get the UTV, get the tractor. Youll thank me. I bought the UTV first then the Tractor. Tractor gets used way more. Can Am Commander. They are all plastic light weight garbage.

I have a Polaris sportsman 350 that is about 20’years old and does everything.

Little tank…

Sirhr

That said, I use it mainly for running tools around, fence line, little stuff.

As bullfrog says,
Get a tractor first. A real one. Not some modified lawn tractor.

Three point hitch. Bucket.
Old enough that no computers. Fordson.

Older deee or MF or Intl.

ATV is gravy. Quad (like gator or side
By side)’is useless on small spread. Great on big one.

Get. Tractor and an ATV… later when tractor is paid does.

Sirhr

Reactions: mtrmn and notacos4u
I’ve got an Arctic Cat Prowler Pro Crew Cab. I have 90 acres and I’m not looking to trail ride. Does about 50, and is very quiet. Mine has winch, pop up windshield, back window, roof, gun rack, dump bed, and seats 6. Get something with good ground clearance, you’ll appreciate it when driving over downed trees and not high pointing.

Biggest thing about buying any toy, is having a good dealer support network. For the price I paid for it at the time and what I need it for, it does its job fine. I’m able to transport 6 people around my land without an issue and having the dump bed helps out by the house with hauling things, mulching and the like. When it comes times to clear trails or cut trees, it’s nice being able to load everything into the bed. For heavier stuff, I have a tractor.

I do love the UTV for hunting, can bring out 1 vehicle with 4+ people to hunt and not have 4 separate ATV’s disturbing the woods. Plus, I like to bring my 7 yo grandson out hunting with me and it helps keep the wind off him as we head out or in.
Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda is the way I would go if looking to utilize it for other things.

Attachments

• IMG_5809.jpeg
    IMG_5809.jpeg
    698.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5812.jpeg
    IMG_5812.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2879.jpeg
    IMG_2879.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As said, dont get the UTV, get the tractor. Youll thank me. I bought the UTV first then the Tractor. Tractor gets used way more. Can Am Commander. They are all plastic light weight garbage.
He’s not wrong about having a tractor first. Our place has quite a bit of woods so we opted for an older no cab New Holland diesel. Added bobcat style front hydraulics so we have forklift, bucket, and grapple. All are used extensively. We bought UTV after tractor and all the implements for 3pt and front hydraulics.

Before we got the UTV WE PULLED A LITTLE 5x10 trailer behind the tractor when we needed to haul wood or fence supplies.

Tractors are indispensable. UTV is a handy supplement.

Reactions: mtrmn and Redmanss