Fastest Load/Least Drop for 375 Cheytac

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
Looking for the flatest 375 Cheytac trajectory at 1,000 yards and preferably beyond. So what is the fastest load you have developed (fps out of the muzzle) for 1,000 yards or beyond shooting, and what was the least amount of drop (drop in inches at 1,000 yards for purposes of a standard metric for reporting) you have experienced for the 375 Cheytac? Please specify muzzle velocity in fps, drop in inches at 1,000 yards, along with projectile weight in grains/type and powder details as well. These are actually two separate questions since a faster load may have more or less drop than another load depending on other factors such as bullet weight, type, etc.. Gleaned some info from prior posts already to some degree but don't think I have seen it all directed to this question. regards, Dale.

Re: Fastest Load/Least Drop for 375 Cheytac

what difference does it make, it has the least drop and wind drift than any other cartridge in use today... it is king so to speak... get one, shoot it, and youll know...

Agree it is a superior long range cartridge, but there is optimum performance within any cartridge, so the statement 'what difference does it make' makes no sense to me in terms of load development. Also currently it is difficult for me due to geographical location to get out to the distances required to do significant testing, so the experience of other knowledgeable experts here is of real value.

If you are going to be mostly shooting 1000y then just get something really overbore in the small cases like a 6mm Rem AI or a 6.5-06. The 375 is not the flattest round to 1000y, it's the next 2000 yards of flight that define it's capability.

If you don't have the distance to shoot it, why do you want to deal with the expense of owning one?

I have no place to shoot anywhere near a mile, so there's no reason to own one, one day if I have somewhere to shoot 1500+ then I'll build one, til then, a 6.5 or 7mm bullet in a 30-06 case will run extremely hard/flat to 1000.

FWIW, a 6.5mm 140gr JLK will do 3300 fps from a 28" barreled 6.5-06, it takes 5.3 mils to 1000y. That's 191" drop from a 100 yd zero.

Thanks for the info. Understand the 375 Cheytac does'nt start to shine until past 1500 yards. I had a 408 Cheytac but sold it since I did'nt have the distance at the time as well. regards, Dale.

if you only want to shoot 1000yds, a 338cheytac using the new berger 300gr VLD at 3500+fps and BC ~.87 would be an absolute laser with the least drop to 1000yds.

problem with the 375 cheytac is very limited bullet selection at present time, why muck around with crappy light weight bullets designed for short range big game hunting in your big dollar ULR rig for only 1000yds? it makes no sense... you cant get any decent low drag bullet in 375 cal under 350grains which is the 350gr SMK. Next best lighest bullet i can think of would be the 300gr accubond, its BC is only .575, see where this is going? Im sure you can plug 350gr SMK with a BC of .78 @ 3200fps into JBM calc and find all your ballistics answers? ---> http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

i should have pointed out 1 more thing, once your shooting a 350gr bullet which is the minimum weight VLD bullets are made in this caliber, then you have other options.... best i can think of is the 350gr predator brass solid, BC .95, or the GSCUSTOM 355gr SP bullet, BC .921. Now these are about as flat a shooting bullet you will get for 1000yd shooting in the 375 cheytac, try that in JBM...

Funny thing is, these bullets are also great for shooting 2000+ yds aswell... go figure...
smile.gif

I'm getting 3285fps with 330 lehighs-.92BC in my 375CT.

Truthfully it's a new load that is "out" of the accuracy node.I ran out of the discontinued powder I was using.It shot OK at 300Y but not that good at a mile.It's first test at distance.

I could drive it faster 3300+ but I'd rather save the throat as much as possible so I'm going to back it down to the speed my old load was at a little over 3200 fps.

At my alt JBM shows 4.6 mils or 165" for a 100Y zero.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i should have pointed out 1 more thing, once your shooting a 350gr bullet which is the minimum weight VLD bullets are made in this caliber, then you have other options.... best i can think of is the 350gr predator brass solid, BC .95, or the GSCUSTOM 355gr SP bullet, BC .921. Now these are about as flat a shooting bullet you will get for 1000yd shooting in the 375 cheytac, try that in JBM...

Funny thing is, these bullets are also great for shooting 2000+ yds aswell... go figure...
smile.gif
And that not from JBM, thats from my own range numbers.
</div></div>

Even funnier thing is that the Predator projectiles take damn near 3mils more elevation to get to 2000m than the 350gr Jamison(LRBT design), so no I would not say they are flat shooting
smile.gif
And that not from JBM..from my range data.

Bushmaster: Unlike the 408CT the 375/408 does not really have a dedicated 1000m and closer projectile. If you are looking for 1000m and under and desire to damn near not have to touch the elevation controls on your scope then your best choice is the 260gr Accubonds. The 375 slings them super fast and super flat (I will have to dig up the data..the move to Utah has displaced my organization skills lol).
Here is my recommended usage breakdown:

1000m and closer = 260gr Accubond
1000m-1500m = The 350gr jacketed aka SMK(but not really because all Sierra done was make that bullet, it is not based on the SMK design. It is based of Cheytacs own design).
1500m-2500m = 350gr Jamison, 355gr GS Custom
2500-?? = It is being tested
smile.gif
And looking good so be on the lookout.

Thanks

Thanks Later. Great info. Will a twist rate geared to the heavier bullets (i.e. the 350 grain RMB or Jamisons) work for the lighter 260 grain bullets as well?

Just as Later has already stated the 260 Accubond's worked really well out to around 1300 for me.
I loaded them with 141gn of Retumbo getting 3500FPS. They put the smack down on the deer for sure, and they are cheap to shoot!

lol snagly if I could id take that rifle off your hands, as soon as I get some cash ill be building a direct copy. Looks F'ing sexy!

Good luck with your build. They are alot of fun to shoot! I'm glad mine didn't sell. It makes a great hunting rifle for the days I don't feel like hiking my ass off!
Bushmaster... I had great luck shooting everything in my rifle. The 350 SMK's were a bit tricky at first, and the Jamison solids shoot realy well just to damn expensive for load development!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cryan15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like the only bad part of owning a rifle of that nature, I love my 338 lapua >> </div></div>

Cutting Edge Bullets are the answer
grin.gif

Bullets have been problem in the 375 Cheytac with the heavy high BC ones being the most interesting for the longer ranges. GSC have a 414gr with a good BC which is available to the puplic but unfortunately is neally impossible to get. At this time cutting edge have some pritty good BC hunting and solid bullets from the light weight 320gr to the 402gr with the biggest positive that they are easy to get so are at the moment my bullet of choice for my 375-408 improved.