• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Favorite Caliber & Why?

Re: Favorite Caliber & Why?

This isn't even a fair question.. hummm... .22cal, .223, .260, .308... humm...

If I had a .223 bolt.. I'd probably say that.. but for now I'll say .308 since I built a new one and am digging it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johndoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will go for the .308 win. Accuracy, ease to load for, price of coponents,
fun to shoot and <span style="font-weight: bold">barrel life </span>.
</div></div>

Its interesting I was having a discussion with some shooters after a local match today about about the barrel life of some of the faster cartridges like the .260, .243, 6x47 Lapua, etc and the consensus was <span style="font-style: italic">MAYBE </span>2000 rounds of useful barrel life. For me, that would be a barrel once a year. Jeebus, that alone cemented my decision to stick with the .308. I'm banking on 5000-8000 rounds out of a barrel, especially since I don't shoot the 155's which need faster velocities to work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 Win Mag, 260 Rem, and 270 Win, and not in any order. I love the 300 WM because it hammers shit HARD! And can go a long ways with good energy. The 260 is great for the light recoil, high BC bullets, long range capable and fairly cheap to shoot. The 270 is awesome, since that's what I learned to shoot on, and shot a ton with it. It, too, is a hammer of a round. But if I could only shoot one caliber, it would be a 300WM. It's not new, but is still somewhat sexy of a caliber, and is easy to load for with abundant bullet options. Everyone should own some form of a .308 caliber. </div></div>300 Win Mag. It kicks the shit out of things on both ends!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this thread is making me so proud 4 votes for the 6mmbr and only one for the 308. i would have never guessed.

I love the 6br but would slightly prefer the 6 dasher. you people must really love accuracy because thats what you get with the 6 br based cartridges. </div></div>

Spot on.

If the Dasher was easier to make brass for, then I'd be in.

I just wish there was a commercial mag that it would feed in 100% of the time. Evidently there has been some success in with the new 223 AI mags, but I don't know. I gave up before those came out.

I have two dream rifles. One I can't afford and the other I can't find a way to make work yet.

A 20 inch AI Folder in 338LM (the one I can't afford)
A 24 inch M2008 in an AICS 2.0 in 6BR (the one I can't find a way to make work).

6BR rocks. Just have to find a way to make it repeat better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223AI- 75 AMAXs @3100 FPS is hard not to like, and burning 26grns of powder doing so simply feels like cheating... </div></div>

I knew you'd say this,but i have to agree.......

.700 Nitro Express for plinking rats in garage.

laugh.gif

I really like may .223's and love my .308's, but there's a special placing in my heart of the .22 Winchester Magnum. Very accurate, reasonably cheap to shoot and lethal well beyond 100 yards. Oh, and there's lots of new .22 Mag ammo to suit whatever you need.

I'd have to go with my 45-120 Sharps.I can go from 250 to 600 grain bullets, load it light or real heavy. I've used it for target shooting and hunting and it has never failed to do what ever I asked of it.

308, 223, and 22LR are my favorite

If I had to pick one I would go 223 ... I can reload, refine, plink, shoot out to a decent range, and not break the bank. Maybe that is why I have 4 of them ... wait 5 if you include the one I built for my wife ...

6.5x55mm because mainly it is so versatile, accurate, has low recoil, is chambered in some of my favorite rifles, great long range capability (1K yards), excellent choice of bullets and brass, long barrel life, and effective on anything from groundhogs to moose.

The .222 Remington would be next because it is freakishly accurate, plus all the reasons above, too, except for long range 1K part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McLarenRoss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30-06. If you cant get it done with a 30-06 you dont need to do it. 110gr V-maxs at 3500fps will zap a prairie dog out a long damn ways. 208 A-Maxs are good to well over a mile. Hogs, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, and everything in between has fallen for over 100 years to the '06. Ammo is plentiful, loading data is even more plentiful. Guns chambered in it are more common than mosquitoes. Dont see a down side to 30-06. </div></div>

im with you here. 30/06.

my all time favourite round is 45 long colt ..... big heavy lead kills shit
smile.gif

94 Trapper Winchester's answer to the LTR
cool.gif

my favourite long rang round at the moment is 30-06 don't have one but that's my next build .... oh yeah 30-06 rock's
. Dave

Been trying to decide what is my favorite:
22rf
17hmr
223rem/5.56
243win
7mm-08rem
7wsm
30-30win
308win
30-06

223/5.56 in an AR. Lots of trigger time at a relatively low cost.
7mm-08 in my Sako 75 for rifle deer season in 6 days!

It was the day you were a MAN !!
Swapping the Daisy for a .22
I still remember the day my DAD took away my BB Gun I thought he was pissed at me cause he didn't say why he took it ...
He came back with a Winchester 69A w/Peep Sights ...I thought I was in Heaven !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morgan711</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I still remember the day my DAD took away my BB Gun. I thought he was pissed at me cause he didn't say why he took it ...</div></div>

No one is going to take away my "bb-gun" away from me, that's fot sure...lol.

Rapid5.jpg

.177 cal pellet

My place is overrun with squirrels, possum, and dillos and my little Turkish made pellet gun is a laser inside 25 yards. It allows me to practice on moving targets in my own yard without attracting any attention or having to worry about collateral damage. Damn critters drive my dogs nuts and they must be terminated.