Favorite Go-NoGo Gauge

surprise

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
Finally decided to purchase a set of go, no-go, field gauges. Been shopping around a little and haven't really landed on a brand that really speaks to me yet. So out to the Hide for advice. I know there are tons of options, some are perhaps slightly more precise than others and thus looking for your feedback.

What is your favorite or what do think is the best manufacturer for gauges? Looking for either a set or to be able to piece a set together.

Forster, Pacific tool, Dave Manson Precision......?

Thanks

I went PTG for my 224 Valk and 6.5CM. Dont bother getting the No-Go Gauge if your getting the Field Gauge. Also, instead of the Go Gauge, you could just load a SAMMI Spec Round in the correct cartridge. If you are set on getting both then get the Go and the Field Gauge.

I tend to default to Forster, for no other reason than the first set I purchased was from them, and it has served me well. That said, I have used others as well, when Forsters weren't available... but as @HogsLife mentioned, the key is to stay with a single manufacturer for a given set rather than to piece a set together from different manufacturers.

Personally, I just buy the GO gauge any more and use the tape/shim method to turn it into a "NO GO" gauge.

Reactions: gnochi and HogsLife
I went with a go and no-go from Manson. They seemed to be favored in the gunsmithing forum when I researched this last year.

Pick a manufacturer and get both of their gauges. It’s a bad idea to mix. I’m also not sold on the scotch tape on a go gauge to turn it into a no-go.

I think the no-go is a good piece of mind check. After all there is an explosion occurring 6” from your face. I’d like to keep that confined to the chamber and going out the muzzle as safely as possible.

100% on keeping the same manufacturer for each caliber. I like PT&G...served me well. I agree that a go gauge and some tape will get you to the no go without an issue, but a no go gauge isn't always a bad idea if you prefer. Whatever helps you sleep at night! lol :)

I feel like I will by the no-go also. After an acquaintance of mine had a large caliber rifle damn near kill him when it blew in his face-I will feel better knowing.....