• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Federal gold match 168 gr smk reloads

SIGTWO

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
Blue Ridge Parkway NC/Raleigh nc
I know this has probaly been gone over before. But I need the factory load data for federal Gold Match 168 gr smk's. Will be shooting out to about 400 yards. What type of primers and powder. Will be using Federal Gold match brass. The reason for factory spec info is work related and possible use at samefor training. Thanks.

Re: Federal gold match 168 gr smk reloads

I was having a chat with Gary Anderson at the CMP GSM Master Instructors Course. In asking him about the load he used to set the 200 yards SF Standing record (which still holds to day) he made the statement. <span style="font-weight: bold"> "IF IT WONT SHOOT 41 GRNS OF 4895 I WONT HAVE IT"</span> (he used hornady 168s to set the record).

I don't think there has ever been a better 300 meter shooter then Gary Anderson. If he says 41 grns of 4895 I sure as heck wont argue with him.

This is a wild guess on my part, but I'd bet that federal used Fed Match Primers.

When I shot for the guard, we used fed match, 852, and handloads using 41.5 grns of 4895 in LC Match brass. It pretty much all shot the same in my Heavy Match.

My copy is 40.0 gr of IMR 4064 in LC brass w/ the 168 SMK. Works in my 700, ar-10 carbine, and friend's DPMS. I would think the other poster was referring to IMR as well. If you don't have one, I can check the Hodgdon and Sierra manual for you as well.

Oh yeah, I just use Win. LR primers, nothing fancy.

I'm running 42grains of 4064 on a 168 SMK getting about 1650 fps.
With Federal 210 primers in new Lapua brass.
Ogive to base length is set to the exact same as a FMM bullet.

My duplicate load is 42gns of RE15 using Win brass and standard Win primers.

1267239410.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running 42grains of 4064 on a 168 SMK getting about 1650 fps.
Ogive to base length is set to the exact same as a FMM bullet. </div></div>
You are short about 1000 fps.....2650 sounds more like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcrich</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running 42grains of 4064 on a 168 SMK getting about 1650 fps.
Ogive to base length is set to the exact same as a FMM bullet. </div></div>
You are short about 1000 fps.....2650 sounds more like it.</div></div>

Nope, he's using the 1680 SMK

Sorry couldn't help myself
smile.gif

While 41.5 gains of IMR 4895 and 168 SMK's shot very well in my TRG 22, I found 38 grains of IMR 4895 sshoot even better. At least for me.

12 years ago I was shooting exclusively 308, 168 gr MK, and IMR4895.

I sprayed bullets all over the target.

I sprayed the target with Federal Gold Match 308 factory ammo.

It took a long time for me to sort out the varibales for me to start getting good groups in Jan 2004.

My copy is 40.0 gr of IMR 4064 in LC brass w/ the 168 SMK. Works in my 700, ar-10 carbine, and friend's DPMS. I would think the other poster was referring to IMR as well. If you don't have one, I can check the Hodgdon and Sierra manual for you as well.

Oh yeah, I just use Win. LR primers, nothing fancy.
I just disassembled one factory round of 168 FGMM, federal brass and found the powder to weight 40 grains. I looked at the powder in the round compared to IMR-4064 side by side and found the diameter was the same but the length was shorter. Does anyone know if it still 4064 or is it some other powder. All I want to do is duplicate factory MV and of course accuracy. I have found that factory ammo shots the best in my 700R5 with a Branish 46 suppressor

I just disassembled one factory round of 168 FGMM, federal brass and found the powder to weight 40 grains. I looked at the powder in the round compared to IMR-4064 side by side and found the diameter was the same but the length was shorter. Does anyone know if it still 4064 or is it some other powder. All I want to do is duplicate factory MV and of course accuracy. I have found that factory ammo shots the best in my 700R5 with a Branish 46 suppressor
I've also taken some FFGMM's apart (175 SMK's) and found that the powder in them did look like and perform much like AR-Comp. Also, on another blog, someone who works at Federal said they changed from IMR-4064 some time ago and are using AR-Comp for the FGMM cartridges. Given what I saw when I took those cartridges apart, I believed him.

Reactions: RegionRat