• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Feeding issues Ruger Precision Rifle

Bulldog Firearms

Bulldog Lover
Commercial Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Rio Rancho, NM
www.bulldognm.com
I have a customers RPR that he is wanting a complete package on as well as load development. He opted for a LRI barrel that has shot very well. However I've noticed that when using the factory 10rd PMAGS the rifle tends to feed poorly with standard factory hornady ammunition. I can't run the bolt quickly at all and it seems like often times the round gets pointed up at and is striking the top of the chamber and binding. Can jiggle the bolt a bit and sometimes get past it but it isn't feeding correctly.

I've only messed around with the two magazines it comes with. Both exhibit the issue. Does anyone have some recommendations for adjusting existing magazines or replacement magazines that you can slow or fast without feeding issues?

I did see some recommendations of disassembling magazines, lubricating, and reasmebelling. But haven't turned up much in way of suggestions or other people having similar issues.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I don’t know if it would have a lot to do with what you are describing but I do know that ruger released a safety bulletin that the bolt shroud on some models was catching but I have not had any issues with my mags or feeding

I have never had this problem. I’ve used all sorts of different mags and never had this issue. But I did have failure to feed problems due to the magazine binding but I fixed that with some dry film Teflon spray.

Define standard factory hornady ammo? Is it seated all the way back on the follower or is it a little forward and that’s allowing the nose to point up?

I’m curious as I’ve got the same issues with 2x new Ruger mags for a 223 RPR MKII. They both jam when when it’s feeding the last 3rd round. I have to plush the round out and into the breach with my fingers to get the magazine to release. It’s a pain, but I thought it was a dodgy magazine, but both supplied mags do exactly the same. What was the resolution that you found? Did you buy aftermarket mags that worked? Thanks

6 223 rounds in a Ruger mag all lined up. On feeding them out, the 3rd from last nosedives into the mag

Attachments

• 168854A0-D3E2-4B02-8ABE-81493F4444F6.jpeg
    168854A0-D3E2-4B02-8ABE-81493F4444F6.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 64
I only use the AICS patterned magpul mags in mine. I have never had any issues with mine. They are very smooth feeding magazines for sure. I dont like the 308 pattern pmags. Never have. Always seemed like there is a lot of friction with those magazines. A lot more than the 556 pmags, which i never had an issue with.