• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

feeler for new gong style(again)

SilencercoJames

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 30, 2008
kearns, ut, 84118
I have been using these style of gongs for quite some time for my own personal use and thought I would get a feeler for how well other people like them.

These are the style of plate that I use. This design eliminates the use of chain and all of the typical problems associated with it, shooting the chain, hitting the target with enough force to swing it back up on top of its self, the "wiggle" from side to side of chain......
6.jpg

This is an image of the plate attached to the swinger bracket. The target is welded of center so the the plate is angled down slightly to direct the splatter downward. Also note the there is no weld on the target face so there is no heat damage on the plate its self. All targets are 3/8" AR500.
bracketand6.jpg

This is an image of the frame used to mount the whole system. The spacers on the sides are 12" long to keep the target away from the legs. The frame is designed to all come apart and the legs tuck inside of each other and it all fits into a 4x4x40 ish box. The frames are extremely portable, sturdy and work well no matter how rough the terrain is, up hill, down hill, rocky, sandy.....
standand6.jpg

The price for the frame set up with legs, spacers, top bar and one swinger bracket is $160 retail(call me for specials)

The frames can be upgraded easily to accommodate up to 7 targets across by simply buying a longer top bar and more swinger brackets. These frames are perfect for running "Know Your Limits" racks.

The best thing about the frames is that if you end up shooting through one of the parts they are cheap and easy to replace. All of the parts can be bought separately so there is no need to replace the whole frame(like you do on other style of frames)

The target plates them selves are 2"-12" and are $8-$70 respectively.

They cost a little more than chained targets but are a vastly superior product.
For those who are stubborn and like to do it old school we do sell the typical squares and rounds with mounting holes as well.

Re: feeler for new gong style(again)

I really like that design.
I'm thinking that using it with a chain as well would be better than the typical round/squares because it would be much less likely that a round would hit the chain with this design.

Nice design!
I like the setup.
It also looks like the spall would be consistently directed downward due to the solid pivot point.

FWIW,
Chain is a very poor choice when hanging targets.
Old Fire Hose, conveyor belt material, or just straight up nylon webbing are far superior.
They are light, make the target more reactive, and withstand thousands of hits without failure.
Oh yea and it is cheaper too...
Fire hose can be had at your local neighborhood fire department for free with the ends cut off and it is pretty common for farmers / Mills to have conveyor belt sections.

Do you have a web site or just PM you for product and purchase info?

I think the price seems fair and the setup looks great, theres nothing worse than watching your target fail because of a chain breaking. I think people would like to see some made of 1/2 inch AR-500 also.

I think 1/2 would be nice as well. I really like that long neck on them. Honestly you would even buy a couple of the actual targets and hang them anyway you wanted. The long neck will help people miss the hanging method. wether it be chain or bolted on a bar or firehose or whatever. The long neck is very nice. Good luck with these targets. Should be a hot item.

I really like your design, being elevated you can see the target above
obsticales. I am going to send you a pm I would like to talk to you over the phone.

I like the idea of having interchangeable size targets for whatever
discipline you want to shoot.

I think a 2-6" plate for the pistol stuff
Then for the long distance rifle shooting swap out for a bigger plate.

Seems to me this target could feel every role?

I think I am talkin myself into one.

Could you explaine setting it up on a angled surface
and how it performs?

Everything downrange gets hit, that includes the stand.

We replace more stands and Jacob has taken to having them made in AR500, the ones with chains are not as much as issue of the chains being hit, they move enough enough to deflect any issues. Bolts we replace constantly but the stands...

It's set up to ask for trouble in my opinion.

And one thing I will, you should be more mindful of the rules for selling items on here. We have target vendors, and advertising is not allowed.

I realize that everything down range gets hit that is the beaty of this design actually. Most frames on the market are modular so if there is a hit on the frame that causes failure the frame is out of commission till it can get replaced or repaired. with this design if the leg gets eventually shot in half, which takes quite a few hits, you pull the leg off swap for another, back in business. Repair the broken leg in down time not shooting time.

Another key benefit is that there are no bolts on the target face. Like Frank said bots get hit and replaced constantly, move the bolts up 8" from the actual target face and you have a lot less failures.

As for the stands being made out of AR500, we do have an armor plate option in the works, you would attach the AR on to the legs and top bar, but, AR500 is not cheap or light so the basic frame will be introduced first.

I did not get an opportunity to get out and get video of the targets inaction this weekend. Weather was not cooperating at all. Whit out conditions up at our range.

Thanks for viewing.

I can see where a school would have everything shot to pieces quickly. Reactive targets used for positional shooting quickly teach the sound difference between target and frame hits.
wink.gif

I like chained targets. Their wiggle helps beginner spotters make the trace to impact connect a bit better as the side impacted dances away. Sure comes in handy when the target is 600 to 1000 yards away and they are really dirtied up.

For F/TR 600 yard practise I use a 30" circle with a 6" swinger for the 10 ring. It is bolted in using an old piece of semi truck flap. The 30" circle itself is hung on chains and reacts well to signal where the wide of 1MOA hit impacted.

Nice targets, I just like chains.

thanks for the input. I do see that there are times when chain is the best way to go. For instance, all of our IPSC style targets are hung from chain simply because it is more cost effective and also more reactive when you get up to the large targets. our "t top" targets range in size from 2-12 anything above that makes more sense to hang with chain. But, when you hang those chained targets for these stands using our brackets you get the benefit of chains and swinging targets. then chain gives and the targets swing giving you the best of both worlds.

As soon as I get the color of my name changed I will post more about the targets so that all can see their full potential.

Looking forward to seeing pictures disassembled, was thinking about having
my neighbor make a heavy duty bag I could throw the whole unit in.
Or maybe a couple of tie downs to latch it all together.