• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

FFS and Nomad.. some test

one shot ST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2007
Italy
yesterday was a beautiful day I jumped in Macugnaga on the slopes of Monte Rosa, located in the North part of Italy, my intention was to do some tests on FFS, NOMAD handheld, wireless and BT Kestrel rangefinder PLRF 10 C.

during climb I've seen some clouds build up, so better to stop at an intermediate step, the place was good to do the test.

The aim was to try to run two different programs with two GPS, one internal and one external, select / deselect satellites that could worsen the reception / accuracy, stop the BT connection and see how it works again, battery replacement, use of the module AA battery back-up, coordinated detection of a target measured with the PLRF 10 C starting from the current position.

First operation PLRF 10 C compass calibration with 12 points in the process .. the result was GOOD 0 / 2 ° ... I have also seen in the past good 0 / 1 °........... the calibration procedure needs 20 seconds and you have to follow the instructions on the PLRF screen.

Kestrel compass calibration Kestrel ........ positive ... needs little more time than the rangefinder.

then using a specific software NOMAD I pointed out how the satellites were received, say that one could be cleared because of low precision, but I purposely left out the operation to see what was out in the end.

All GPS satellites have engaged immediately, leads to 30 seconds ....... but this is still a given variable, sometimes it takes even 3 / 4 minutes.

I compared the data of the nomad gps with those of another GPS Garmin rhino and the data were accurate.

However, the GPS data are not always constant and vary over time ... the tolerances are even a few meters away ...... and pretty constant if you check a position also when for exmple a month is expired.

if you try to do more operations at a time with the doors of the NOMAD with sudden changes you can have some conflicts etc etc ... blocking everything.
But doing a simple reset and wait for 5 minutes to restore the initial conditions and set the settings are not lost.
Tried 5 times ........ Always OK.

Intentionally caused the loss of the BT connection with the Kestrel ... comes a time out message ... and then just take the connection is restored in an almost immediate.

its battery life is connected with everything over 15 hours ..... I tried to connect the module with AA and everything connected with this unfortunately takes less than an hour ....... But it is true that the GPS or other can be connected only need arises and thus the duration increases significantly .. (I speak of the AA form) if you disconnect the rest of what is not needed is the last handheld I would say forever ..

then laser at a target 2436 meters ...... (Maximum distance measured was 2560 m) ... it was a sort of garage in the middle of a square ... and other targets.

I have the program calculate the UTM coordinates of the target and then once I went down to check whether the accounts came back .. for the first two were out of phase for the latitude of about 10 meters ..

while the farthest was pretty much like ... in the photo that you will see where to get the value that I calculated I had to place myself ...... say just a few meters of lag considering I was almost at the maximum beam range combined with the errors of the GPS.

GPS height with versus altimeter reading was pretty the same.

during climb

030.jpg

into position

022.jpg

target at 2436 meters

046.jpg

notes on my logbook

DSCF4563.jpg

UTM position checked downrange

003-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

Kifaru marauder with a custom molle organizer always Kifaru with a mixed pockets, to have all my stuff packed and stable

028.jpg

027.jpg

my dog..... with a very strange behavior...all the time with a stone in the mouth... like the squitter in the movie the ice age..

032.jpg

Re: FFS and Nomad.. some test

HAhaha very nice Davide. You have some very nice looking gear and that pup is cute!

Man such a nice countryside you guys have. Cant wait to visit Italy one day to see where my mother was born.

The PLRF unit is impressive!

on top is the external GPS module.... KENAZ N100 ( search on ebay for it ) .......

15 hours is the NOMAD battery...... with everythings connected..

gps
kestrel with BT
range finder....
screen always on at maximum bright

but for example if you use gps, kestrel ecc ecc when you need the battery life will be much better than 15 hours

Davide,

Very nice setup and test. That type of equipment would come in handy for some of the hiking we do around here. On a side note...what type of dog is that? Absolutely beautiful.

Josh

i am going to purchase a PLRF 10C and currently use the Nomad. Do I need to order the software installed and cabling from the factory. They tell me it will only interface with Garmin not the NOMAD

the PLRF 10 or 15 C as an internal interface that use RS 232 port.. If you buy this cable I suggest you with a push button switch, you don't need nothing more, but for a few dollars you have also to buy the up grade RS 232 port for your NOMAD

But this set up works only if you use Field Firing Solution..

If you want to use a Garmin GPS you a need a factory interface up grade.....

cable

DSCN2970.jpg

FFS screen with provision to connect PLRF 10/15 C via PC interface

DSCN2971.jpg

PLRF instruction manual.. PC interface is a standard provision.. Garmin and the other one needs factory up grade

DSCN2973.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Davide
Great pictures, thank you for posting.
I think your English is better than a lot of Americans...:) </div></div>

Thanks..... I was in Texas for 6 month in 1988.... in Forth Worth to attend a commercial flight school.... I love your country..

Davide:

Extremely nice set up, if you don't mind I'd like your insight .... as money permits I plan to obtain the Nomad w/GPS, Kestrel 4500NV-BT, Ballistics software, PLRF15C, Tri-Pod.

I'm undecided on the software and have narrowed it down to either <span style="text-decoration: underline">FFS</span> Delta IV-LE or Delta V military OR the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Horus</span> ATragMX V4.0 .... any insight would be appreciated.

.... also the Tri-pod in your photo ... do you recall details as I have not found a tri-pod I like.

As packs go Kifaru are the best.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give

I suggest FFS, best software...... as soon as I can I'll do some review of FFS and .408 CHEY TAC ballistic table....

for PLRF 10 C is better then 15 C.... the first one has a better laser beam

tripod is from Ashbury

ciao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldGuard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Davide:

Extremely nice set up, if you don't mind I'd like your insight .... as money permits I plan to obtain the Nomad w/GPS, Kestrel 4500NV-BT, Ballistics software, PLRF15C, Tri-Pod.

I'm undecided on the software and have narrowed it down to either <span style="text-decoration: underline">FFS</span> Delta IV-LE or Delta V military OR the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Horus</span> ATragMX V4.0 .... any insight would be appreciated.

.... also the Tri-pod in your photo ... do you recall details as I have not found a tri-pod I like.

As packs go Kifaru are the best.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give </div></div>

Davide:

Additional assistance requested .... I am in the process of purchasing the Ashbury TriPod, but the Ashbury distributor is new and not fimilar with the product, thus unable to answer product questions. I have narrowed it down to two:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]TACT3 Tactical Tripods QEL Amagnetic w/ Fine Elevation Control & Hinged Base Plate
[*]TACT3 Tactical Tripods SEL Amagnetic w/ Fine Elevation Control [/list]
both are non-magnetic ... one has hinged base plate & the other has detachable base plate ... can you provide insight or recommendation on the base plate issue ?

fyi ... just in case the items were recently added to the product offering....There two accessories for equipment mounting ... I'm buying both:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]SSAR - Spotting Scope Accessory Rail to integrate Leupold Mk 4 with clip-on night vision, laser pointing & illumination devices [*]TIM (Tactical Interface Mount) - use with TACT3 Tripod, mounting Leupold 12-40x60mm under TACT3 Tripod Head, additional two rail mounts for equipment above & to the sides [/list]

If the TIM is to be used with Manfrotto tri-pod the TIM-17 needs to be purchased; the SSAR is usable with either systems.

Have you found a way to mount the Kestrel 4500NVBT with vane to the tri-pod ... a extension arm or best to have it on a stand alone tri-pod or mono-pod ?

Thanks for your assistance.

send me your email, I've a catalogue for you, where you can check the differences between the 2 tripod.

I've use in the past an extention to mount the kestrel vane, but is a little bulky...... better an oher mini tripod if condition permits to use it

Davide:

Do you know of any sources for LFU "Laser filter Unit" for Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope and S&B 5-25x56mm PM II ? I have increased concern for eye safety with all the laser devices in use. Several of the scope manufacturers offer a LFU lens coating at the time of manufacturer, but requires minimum quantities. There are threaded LFU's which attach to ARD's and then to the scope.

LIF's ( Laser Interference Filters) are indeed commonplace with certain Image Intensified optics that may be used in conjunction with high powered non eyesafe laser markers etc. The PLRF is eye safe and concerns for reflection are really unfounded. LIF's do degrade the optical path somewhat in any case.

Davide's write up is first rate and gratefully received.