• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Range Report Finding the lands question

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Well I decided to play around and am wondering if I have done this right or not. I know it would have been easier to buy the gauges to do this but don't have the money. So here is what I did.

So what I did was barely set a bullet (175smk) into a piece of brass.

Erichshootingandcass003-1.jpg

I chambered the round into the rifle. It came out

Erichshootingandcass005.jpg

This is what I am assuming are the land marks

Erichshootingandcass006.jpg

Re: Finding the lands question

I'd say you are right sir. Back it off a bit and see if you can avoid the mark. Bolt work easily? I had a savage that I had to seat a little shorter than the standard 3.0x; shot well otherwise.

edit: Was it seated that hair over 3.0xx when you chambered the round, and did it push back to the oal in the second photo?
If so, it looks like you found the lands. Try doing the same again but with shorter oal and see if it marks.

Here is the way I find Max coal. Get a bullet that will be reloaded and insert it into the chamber. Put a cleaning rod down the barrel and mark it were it touchs the top of the bullet. Remove the bullet and insert the cleaning rod and touch the bolt face. Thats the way I check my overall length and then make a dummy roud like you have. What ever you do make sure you check it several times.Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say you are right sir. Back it off a bit and see if you can avoid the mark. Bolt work easily? I had a savage that I had to seat a little shorter than the standard 3.0x; shot well otherwise.

edit: Was it seated that hair over 3.0xx when you chambered the round, and did it push back to the oal in the second photo?
If so, it looks like you found the lands. Try doing the same again but with shorter oal and see if it marks. </div></div>

Where it was just over 3 is how it came out of the seating die. Backed the top of the seating die out so it would not touch the bullet. Then tightened it down until I felt it begin to push the bullet into the case.

I will try starting around 2.90 and see if I have the marks.

That's interesting. I'd like to hear why this isn't a good idea.

Was that piece of brass fired in this rifle ? Does this even matter since we're looking for a measurement ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say you are right sir. Back it off a bit and see if you can avoid the mark. Bolt work easily? I had a savage that I had to seat a little shorter than the standard 3.0x; shot well otherwise.

If so, it looks like you found the lands. Try doing the same again but with shorter oal and see if it marks. </div></div>+ 1 I have used the maker method allot.

I use a case that has the primer hole drilled out, then cut a slot with a dremel down each side of the neck to really make the bullet loose. Stick the bullet deep in the case. With the bolt out, insert the case into the chamber and tap it in tight with a large dowel. Then slide a small dowel in through the primer hole to the base of the bullet. Tap very lightly until the bullet stops. Put the bolt back in, lock it and then remove the case and measure. I would advise using a bullet comparator to measure as bullets vary significantly at the tip.

Shawn

The hornady tool is good... makes life easy and you can buy different cases in the future should you be purchasing another calibre.

Obviously it isnt mandatory to have one, i went without one for a short while, however it is a worthy tool to add to the collection, and you have piece of mind knowing exactly how long your OAL, provided you have a caliper to perform the measurements

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the way I find Max coal. Get a bullet that will be reloaded and insert it into the chamber. Put a cleaning rod down the barrel and mark it were it touchs the top of the bullet. Remove the bullet and insert the cleaning rod and touch the bolt face. Thats the way I check my overall length and then make a dummy roud like you have. What ever you do make sure you check it several times.Good luck. </div></div>

My buddy makes a tool that works beautifully with this method...
With the rod in contact with the boltface and both collars against the muzzle, lock the outer collar in place with the set screw...
EZcol003.jpg

Back the rod out of the barrel & insert bullet of choice into chamber. While holding the bullet against the lands with a dowel, insert the rod back down the barrel until it contacts the bullet tip. Then slide the inner collar down to the muzzle and lock it in place with the set screw...
EZcol006.jpg

Measure ID of the collars with calipers for your c.o.a.l....