First .308 bolt action finished

dbsinh2o

SSgt
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
VA & RI
Thanks for the great site guys, and the advice along the way (yeah, I'm still working on that search function).

Just finished building my new rifle, and I'm good with the way it turned out. I went kind of cheap and reused a set of Mark 4 rings and a Harris bipod that I had laying around. As much as I was tempted to throw down on a Badger rail and rings, I went with a 15 degree Mark 4 rail, and figure I'll put the savings into some ammo.

The rifle is a new Remmy 5R Milspec, with a used USO ST-10 I picked up here on the Hide. The total damage was under 2K, so hopefully I'll end up with a decent shooter without breaking the bank.

The factory trigger turned out to be nicer than what I expected (after a little adjustment), but the bottom metal is kind of cheesy. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Now if the weather just warms up a little, I'll be out to see how it shoots.

5RMilspec.jpg

Re: First .308 bolt action finished

What's the stock, cause that's not the factory stock, although tbh it looks like the factory stock just with a green instead of silverish web. Or I could be all wet. Nice gun either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an HS 5R stock.

Why wait till it warms up? The cold ain't gonna hurt your gun.

41 </div></div>I agree get out there and shoot that thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JxMAN25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's an HS 5R stock.

Why wait till it warms up? The cold ain't gonna hurt your gun.

41 </div></div>I agree get out there and shoot that thing. </div></div>

Call me pussified, but there's just no good reason to go shooting when it's below freezing. Ain't like I still got Uncle Sam "compelling" me at my age. Hell, I'd be lucky to hit the 7 ring when I'm shivering.

Nice build, I am happy to see another .308 shooter. I have been waiting 6 months on my build (6 months since the smith received all my parts) and he should be done this month which is resulting in loss of sleep at night lol. How long it take you to do complete your project? What barrel is that pony riding? Give us all the dirty details. Lord knows when mine is done there is going to be a page long post lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the stock, cause that's not the factory stock, although tbh it looks like the factory stock just with a green instead of silverish web. Or I could be all wet. Nice gun either way. </div></div>

I have the same rifle,it is the factory HS Precision. I just purchased a Manners for mine and rebarrelled it. I cant wait to get it back. I just got it (new-unfired) wanted my barrell threaded and a tac bolt conversion, I ended up with a Manners stock, Bartlein barrell (threade with little bastard break), BO bottom metal for mag compatablility......basically my unfired rifle is a totally different rifle now.

This is just a stock 5R Milspec with a rail, rings, scope, and bipod. Not sure of the weight, but it's over 10 lbs (limit of my scale).

With a little luck, I'll find out on Sat how it shoots.