First AR15

2011Nomad

MRAD 338 / 308 / 6.5cm
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2022
Europe
Hi guys
Im in europe and its hard to chose one rifle. Im not able to try them out before i buy one. Neither can i hold or see one before i buy one, only thing i can do is watch youtube and ask you guys for a decent opinion. Thanks for help.
I am looking for my first and only ar15.
Iv set up a short list of some of my choices, money is not an issue.

Please share your opinion on my list
12F907C1-DF5C-4AD5-A089-6405554984DC.jpeg

Honestly
We are not allowed to carry ar’s
It mainly for competition and plinking.
(But i want alao something that is durable because i can only have one rifle)

I personally would do the BCM with a mid length gas system and call it good. Add any uppers or mods you want later or little by little. Once you have the lower in hand you can buy other uppers down the line. 20” piston to run a can, easy enough. 11.5” SBR upper if allowed out there, and so on.

Reactions: i556
So you can go shorter than 16" but not longer? That's interesting. You'll have a better time with something like 11.5" for running around but I don't know how many are available as a full gun from a manufacturer.

Ok I wouldn't get anything longer than 16" because it's already pretty long for running around, and it's plenty long for 200M. I also recommend midlength gas over carbine. The Colt M4 is probably carbine length gas. The Radian is probably ambidextrous if that matters do you. The DI guns are probably lighter than the piston guns, except for the SCAR which is probably pretty light.

I only have personal experience with the Colt but because of the specs I think you're better off with something with midlength gas. Is there better customer support for any of those brands where you live?

Hi guys
Im in europe and its hard to chose one rifle. Im not able to try them out before i buy one. Neither can i hold or see one before i buy one, only thing i can do is watch youtube and ask you guys for a decent opinion. Thanks for help.

Please share your opinion on my list View attachment 8493423
I would go with something more local with easily obtainable parts, replacements, spares, ect. So HK, FN or Schmeisser

I was thinking the same thing
Right now we have two stores that import from usa and if they dissapear it will be an issue. Schmeisser is high on my list

I’ve used most of those on your list. Standard AR-15 parts are only proliferating, so it’s something to consider for staying with the TDP design. But Europe also has a lot of Hk416s in use among different armies. Not sure how the Hk MR223 parts supplies are though for the civilian market in Europe.

I personally don’t like the extra weight and imbalance of the Hk416 and MR223, but I do very much appreciate the fit/feel/finish and some of the design changes they made.

I wouldn’t trust a SCAR in the cold. I’ve seen a lot of polymers fail in the winters of Finland doing high-volume, multi-day courses there from 2005-2016, and SCAR polymers around the stock feel very flimsy to prone to cracking in -30˚.

For reliability, lightweight, and no-frills, the BCM Recce 16 MCMR would be my choice.

hd_recce16_mcmr.f7441e79.jpg

Do you plan on suppressing?

Thank you for your time with a great answer, i will be doing supressed yes. And i am in the scandinavia so it will get cold, and yes i agree very much with you on that balance on the hk416 is shit! Pluss all 416s iv used hav alot play / gap between upper and lower. I think Schmeisser might be my gun or BCM

Reactions: ut755ln
Im currently standing between 3 rifles.
3 different price points and 3 difficult choices.
I Really hope i can get some help from you guys since its almost impossible to ask anyone for advice regardhing these rifles in my country

* BCM Recce 16" = 3200 USD
* Radian Mod 1 16" = 4600 USD
* DD4 R3 16" = 3900 USD

What are the biggest differences between those 3 ?
Is the BCM one most woth the money ?
I really love Radian looks and its parts but its expensive.
While DD has the best barrel of those 3 ?

all are affordable But how much more is the radian worth the price jump?
Is it That much better than BCM
The Radian I owned did not perform in line with the pricing. I will freely admit that I do not care about ambi because I am not wrong handed. Of those three rifles, I would buy the BCM and use the money saved for spare parts and ammunition.

You asked about barrels, I had to re-barrel a DD MK18 at around 13 to 14k rounds because of throat erosion. I have not had a barrel hold the kind of accuracy I want much past 15k rounds.

Reactions: LRRPF52 and Redlion
Thanks for sharing sir
Now if i would ask you honest question (since you obviously) have more experience than me, what would your rifle of choice be if you could only have one? (And your top 3)
Oh and im only allowed to have minimum 16’

Im currently standing between 3 rifles.
3 different price points and 3 difficult choices.
I Really hope i can get some help from you guys since its almost impossible to ask anyone for advice regardhing these rifles in my country

* BCM Recce 16" = 3200 USD
* Radian Mod 1 16" = 4600 USD
* DD4 R3 16" = 3900 USD

What are the biggest differences between those 3 ?
Is the BCM one most woth the money ?
I really love Radian looks and its parts but its expensive.
While DD has the best barrel of those 3 ?
How much is the hk in your area? What other manufacturers do you have access to? Do you have barrel length restrictions?

Yes sir we have minimum 16’ lenght.
Most common are HK223 , Schmeisser, JP , some few other i dont know about. HK over here cost 4200$. I have used HK the most and schmeisser some times, but. HK is very big and bulky rifle

Yes sir we have minimum 16’ lenght.
Most common are HK223 , Schmeisser, JP , some few other i dont know about. HK over here cost 4200$. I have used HK the most and schmeisser some times, but. HK is very big and bulky rifle
With what you posted hk would be my choice, and I’m not an hk fan. Since you can only have one, I would buy one that can be beaten and if things fail, parts can be sourced locally.

DD all day everyday over BCM.

DD manufactures their own product. BCM is an assembler.

DD have pinned gas blocks, BCM does not.

DD has superior customer service over BCM.

DD hammer forges their own barrels, and they flat out shoot.

I am speaking from direct personal experience over many years of extensively using both products.

I won’t even get into the guys over at BCM being complete lying shitbags.

You asked about barrels, I had to re-barrel a DD MK18 at around 13 to 14k rounds because of throat erosion. I have not had a barrel hold the kind of accuracy I want much past 15k rounds.
In my experience any barrel beyond 10k is living on borrowed time. Maybe you could stretch this out shooting very slowly, but we're still talking about consumables here.

In my experience any barrel beyond 10k is living on borrowed time. Maybe you could stretch this out shooting very slowly, but we're still talking about consumables here.
People like to blather about barrel life but they don't shoot enough to worry about it in the first place.

Not to mention "oh no! I have to replace a barrel for $300 after shooting $8000 worth of ammo" 😭

Always makes me chuckle. Like you said. Consumable product. I was just telling a friend of mine I don't plan on buying any more .308s because 6.5cm is basically the same price and hes like "muh barrel life".

Dude I'll have to shoot thousands of dollars worth before it matters. A barrel is cheap.

DD all day everyday over BCM.

DD manufactures their own product. BCM is an assembler.

DD have pinned gas blocks, BCM does not.

DD has superior customer service over BCM.

DD hammer forges their own barrels, and they flat out shoot.

I am speaking from direct personal experience over many years of extensively using both products.

I won’t even get into the guys over at BCM being complete lying shitbags.

This is bullshit. Get educated.

Reactions: Charmingmander
Exactly. Most commercial bolts are starting to fail around the 10-15K point, and much earlier ran harder.

Decent accuracy .223 Ammo is .75-1.25 a round. That's $7500-$18000 in ammo before you need to replace a $300 barrel. Complaining about that is like bitching you need to replace tires after 60K miles.

99% of the people posting here and bitching will never get an AR over 5K, much less 10-15-20-25K rounds down range. They shoot a couple hundred rounds a year and spend more time posting on instagram than actually shooting.

Hi guys

Please share your opinion on my list View attachment 8493423
You have alot of good options there and it would be hard to go wrong with any of them for intended purposes. Of the List BCM or DD would be my choice. I would see if you can source/import a Geissele super duty or GFR. Its a better gun for the money IMO and has alot of features/controls that make it the current gold standard. KAC would be another good one, but I doubt you could source one and price would be astronomical.

Flip a coin and get either the BCM or the DD. Both are solid rifles. DD may have better support channels in your neck of the woods, if that is a thing.

I own a lot of HK's and they are nice rifles, but for your stated use case, the MR is going to be a lot to lug around.

Reactions: 2011Nomad and lash
DD manufactures their own product. BCM is an assembler. ( Wrong. Both companies both have in house manufacturing and external suppliers, like almost every AR manufacture. BCM probably has some of the most stringent QA of any manufacture, and there are numerous stories and examples that result in them having some of the most true uppers you can buy (forged or billet) and all critical dimensions are exact.

DD have pinned gas blocks, BCM does not. (Who gives a shit. I have never heard of a BCM gas block coming loose in like 15 years of running their guns in classes. They are set screwed and threadlocked. I have installed hundreds if not thousands of gasblocks over the years...pinned, dimpled, pinned and dimpled, clamps. Tapered and straight pins. The method is much less important than quality and design.)

DD has superior customer service over BCM. (DD owner is a douchebag. I could tell you some strait up bullshit that came out of his mouth. Paul is first class)

DD hammer forges their own barrels, and they flat out shoot. (DD makes excellent barrels. So do many other manufactures. BCM barrels have always been quality. They are also significantly cheaper guns and uppers than DD. You get what you pay for)

I am speaking from direct personal experience over many years of extensively using both products. (I am speaking from from over 20 years of being an armorer, gunsmith, shooting them in a ton classes, building, fixing them in a warzone. I have owned and own examples of just about everything out there.

I won’t even get into the guys over at BCM being complete lying shitbags. (No idea what you are talking about)

I have heard some youtubers over the years bashing BCM for various reasons, Same as they do KAC, COLT, LMT, Geissele, JP and just about every other brand out there. First hand experience tells me they are one of the better companies out there and their parts and rifles (other than the first gen KMR with magnesium rails) are first rate.

Reactions: ut755ln
If I could only own one, it would be the Daniel Defense. That is only because they have a nicer fit and finish. They are also very accurate for 5.56 barrels.

That said, I own and have been around a lot of BCM over the years, and all run very reliably.