• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

First AR15

Both BCM and DD make excellent rifles. In my experience I would say DD will be a little more accurate and should have a longer barrel life. But as others have said, if you don't shoot a lot it will take you many years to wear out a barrel, and if you do shoot a lot barrels should be treated as a consumable item - just like you occasionally need to replace the tires on your car.

If it's available, I would add LMT to your list.

As far as direct impingement vs piston - pistons will generally be heavier, and of course require proprietary parts. As a very general rule DI also tend to be slightly more accurate. However, if you are shooting suppressed, piston will stay cleaner and will result in less blowback/gass to the face. If you are interested in piston, tough to go wrong with HK, particularly since you are in Europe. PWS also makes an excellent piston rifle, which will be lighter and less front heavy than the HK.

Your list is pretty good. If you can only buy one rifle, I would buy an AR that does NOT use proprietary parts. Stay away from the piston guns for ease of repair and replacement.

The BCM and Daniel Defense are good choices and can use standard parts that are readily available.

I think the Radian Model 1 is the best, but it is very expensive, there is a waiting list, and the Model 1 has a Stainless Steel Barrel. The stainless barrel might be slightly more accurate, but has a much shorter life span. In addition, the Radian has a few proprietary parts that you can only buy from Radien.

I think the LMT is good rifle, but is over priced, in my opinion.

I think the DDM4 V7 is a solid choice, but you should buy an aftermarket trigger to make it excellent. It also comes standard with a forged barrel and an excellent rail.

The BCM is good, but make sure it has a forged barrel (BFH barrel). This will increase the longevity of your barrel. You will want a better trigger for the BCM too.

If you have the ability to buy a Geissele, I would consider that. The Geissele, is a little more expensive, but it is really a fine rifle. And it comes with one of the best all around triggers available. The barrel is forged, the bolt carrier group is superb, the rail is tough and well made. The buffer system is robust. I would look hard at the Geissele Super Duty in 5.56. You can repair it with standard AR parts as well. I have two of these and they have been absolutely excellent. I have them suppressed and have had no problems. On my 14.5" and my 11.5" Geissele rifles I've run my Surefire RC2, Griffin Explorr 224, and a AB A10 suppressors with excellent results. Just put an H3 buffer in the 14.5" to keep it from getting beat up.

I have four FN SCAR 16s and 17s and three Sig Sauer MCX LTs, but I still recommend the AR platform for all around use.

I specifically don't recommend the HK because it is extremely over gassed, proprietary, heavy and ridiculously expensive.

My choice would be the Daniel Defense or the Geissele right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2011Nomad
That sir was a really great two cents
Much appriciated , Gieselle is unfortunately to hard and expensive for me ( doubble the price from usa ) to obtain. Iv had my eyes for a long time on a DD i will either go for DD V7 or M4 R3
And on the long run change out some parts like trigger, buttstock , hopefully lucky to get my hands on a Radian Raptor charging handle som day 🔥

Thank you all for such an amazing help

I will continiue using this thread to hold you updated on my rifle and upgrades on the run

Reactions: Redlion