First Bolt Gun Build (On a Budget)

jeder212

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Benton, Arkansas
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and finally had a little extra money. I decided to build this on a budget, so that's what I did. I started out with a Savage 11FCNS in 308.

Before.jpg

I swapped a friend the original sporter barrel plus two AR-15 magazines for the 308 varmint taper barrel.

Barrels.jpg

I found someone selling the Choate Tactical stock for $100, then sold my Accu-Stock for $75. I had a Nikon BDC 4-12x40 that I traded for a Harris S-L bi-pod plus $60. I then ordered the 20 moa base and because this is a budget build, I topped it with a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP. I went with this over the Nikon because I want to teach myself how to use the mill-dots for range estimation. If I decide that I need better glass in the future, I can always save my pennies.

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

About the only thing that I still want to do to this is a new bolt handle. Hopefully I can give a range report soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sweet. My kinda rifle, looking forward to how it shoots.
After you shoot it I would love to hear how you feel about your scope compared to the nikon.

Last edited:
Well done buddy , can't wait to start my build . I'll be doing a budget build just like you . I'm going to buy the r700 20' .308 tac . Then sell my scope and bipod and stock for a choate or b&c stock . Then buy a swfa scope :) all under 1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! Since I'm all new to this, I couldn't tell much difference between the Nikon and the Primary Arms glass. I will say that the turrets on the Primary Arms are mushy, especially when going down. The Nikon had more positive clicks.

I'm pretty excited about this, and even more so because of the way it all came together with the trades. I'll post a range report when I can, hopefully sometime next week.

Nice Rig and Nice shooting on the 4 shot groups. Wonder why the flyer on both groups ended at the 12'o clock position. I like the way your rifle turned out and am also looking into getting a primary arms scope for my .308 DPMS Gen II. On the mushy turrents you should try to spray down the inside hardware with brake clean or gun cleaner. It is said to get rid of the mushyness and better clicks on Falcon Menace Scopes which I think is about the same as the PA one you have.

Finally got to do a little shooting today. Testing some different loads. Best group including the flyer was .907 Ignore the .895 written down, I measured bad.

Nice Rig and Nice shooting on the 4 shot groups. Wonder why the flyer on both groups ended at the 12'o clock position. I like the way your rifle turned out and am also looking into getting a primary arms scope for my .308 DPMS Gen II. On the mushy turrents you should try to spray down the inside hardware with brake clean or gun cleaner. It is said to get rid of the mushyness and better clicks on Falcon Menace Scopes which I think is about the same as the PA one you have.

Thanks for the tip... I may try that.

I just bought a savage model 111 in 338 win mag it came with a bushnell just three shots and the. Scope was done i purchased a center point 4x16-50mm and it holds up a lot better I'm shooting hornady 200 ss at 100 yrds its .25 group three round haven't had a chance to dial it in tight yet

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2