• Happy 4th of July! Use code AMERICA24 to get 15% off subscriptions

All subscriptions are on sale! Pick yours below

Subscribe

First Lite vs Outdoor Research

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
So I'm looking for some end user comments on each? preferences? sizing and durability?. I'm interested mostly in the jackets, cold weather gear, I usually go for the MIL or tactical line. I'm in the PRO program for OR, and still waiting to hear back from FL on there program. Thanks

I have so much OR gear I could be a rep lol. I love it all, but it’s not all bombproof. However, their guarantee is as solid as Vortex. Most of their stuff is not quite as tough as arcteryx, but is either lighter or more feature filled. Their tactical gloves are fantastic. I haven’t used much else “tactical”, but everything intended for hiking and climbing is sick.

Reactions: kabarNC and jbell
Thanks, I'm looking at there parkas for cold weather and some of there soft shell jackets, how's the "sizing" I'm used to Arcteryx stuff, and I wear a XXL in my old age, LOL.

I've used them both, I'm in both of their Pro programs. They're both fairly solid stuff. I use a mixture of both. As far as durability goes, I haven't noticed a big difference between the brands so much as between their individual lines of clothing. ORs expedition stuff is awesome. I used a lot of it when I was still in the military, since they make quite a bit of their stuff in multicam. If you go with either companies "expedition" jackets I think you'll be pleased. To me it just comes down to the features you like between the two companies.

I've used them both, I'm in both of their Pro programs. They're both fairly solid stuff. I use a mixture of both. As far as durability goes, I haven't noticed a big difference between the brands so much as between their individual lines of clothing. ORs expedition stuff is awesome. I used a lot of it when I was still in the military, since they make quite a bit of their stuff in multicam. If you go with either companies "expedition" jackets I think you'll be pleased. To me it just comes down to the features you like between the two companies.

Thanks, so is the "expedition" jacket a specific line? or a model? or is in the mountain/rock climbing section? Cheers

Another OR guys here. Own a lot, been very happy.
Be aware the old OR guarantee is gone. They are using a new prorated guarantee.
Big bummer IMO.
To find the tactical stuff on their website, search for “tactical”.
Their stretch tactical clothing is very nice and fits nicely.

Reactions: Lkwoolsey
Thanks, so is the "expedition" jacket a specific line? or a model? or is in the mountain/rock climbing section? Cheers
Yeah, usually their mountaineering stuff will be the "expedition" weight stuff. I used their Furio jacket for wet weather. The SEAK Stormtight from FL is a pretty tough wet weather jacket too. If you're looking more for a soft shell style, the FL Catalyst is decent. I've been using a Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket for about 15 year and it's still going strong. Another one to look at is the Kuiu Yukon (for wet weather) and the Guide jacket for soft shell type jacket. I own the Yukon and its served me very well for the past 5 years or so. Kuiu has a lifetime warranty now.

Yeah, usually their mountaineering stuff will be the "expedition" weight stuff. I used their Furio jacket for wet weather. The SEAK Stormtight from FL is a pretty tough wet weather jacket too. If you're looking more for a soft shell style, the FL Catalyst is decent. I've been using a Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket for about 15 year and it's still going strong. Another one to look at is the Kuiu Yukon (for wet weather) and the Guide jacket for soft shell type jacket. I own the Yukon and its served me very well for the past 5 years or so. Kuiu has a lifetime warranty now.
That KUIU gear is nice stuff at a fairly reasonable price.

Thanks, I'm looking at there parkas for cold weather and some of there soft shell jackets, how's the "sizing" I'm used to Arcteryx stuff, and I wear a XXL in my old age, LOL.
Sizing is accurate per their guides. I size up on most of their gear, mostly for layering options.

If you end up looking at Kuiu, your normal size should be fine. If you, in the future, look at their base layers, I'd size up. I normally wear a large but their large base layers fit like compression shirts!