• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

First Long Range Rifle SAVAGE 308

Re: First Long Range Rifle SAVAGE 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" is capable at 1000. There is interesting chrono results available from even shorter barrels. Bullet choice is more important than barrel length these days. As long as the MV of the load/bullet hits the target velocity goal, it's irrelevant how long the barrel is.

TC</div></div>

Of course, everything is important to good results at LR, starting with a high bullet B.C. and needed velocity.

No doubt needed velocity can be produced from a 20 inch barrel; but, it comes at a price-accelerated throat erosion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but if i go with the burris rings i can get up to 40 moa right?</div></div>

It's about keeping the bullet supersonic, not so much about getting the necessary trajectory.

again nightforce is awesome with the nxs 8-32x56 or if your really on a tight budget the bsa 8-32 mil dot or if you want long range only the tasco 10-40x50 mm varmint tactical has worked for me on a couple occasions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what scope would should i up grade to </div></div>

Consider the velocity necessary for a proper bullet to get to 1000 yards. For example a 175 SMK will need an average muzzle velocity of about 2600 fps to assure nose-on hits at 1000. Using this example, you'll need a bullet path about 41 inches above line of sight at 100 yards for the bullet path and line of sight to intersect at 1000 yards. A scope with an elevation adjustment range of about 90 MOA could get the trajectory needed, however, it would be good to have some breathing room which could be gained with the addition of something like a 20 MOA mount.

The Savage below has shot out to 750 yds without any moa base or rings. Never shot any further though, but I still have elevtion left over at 750.

well i went out to find a shooting mat last night and had no luck
so what should i use to shoot with at my first 300yard prone match on sunday?

It would be a waste of money at this time. Can't find anywhere to stretch it out to that extra 250. around here your doing good to find 500-600 yds. I have to drive 1 & 1/2 hours just to shot 750. With that in mind I see no reason to buy a 20 moa base, as most of never get to shot 1000 yds.Money better spent on reloading supplies.

I also have a Savage 10FP. I have it mounted on a Bell and Carson Duramaxx stock. Is it worth getting this bedded? My current range opportunities are 450-500 yds max. However tiger valley will let you go out to 1000yds on a open shoot day. I have a 0 MOA base. Will it be impossible for me to get enough elevation to shoot 1000yds?

went and shoot my first 300 yard f-class match today,day stared pretty good but got windy and hot real early so didn't do real good scored a 350 but the two best shots were sighters and then the wind picked up right after tha match stared so any good pointers guys

You took the most important step; you showed up and you shot. Kudos to you, interestingly enough, lots of people can't seem to accomplish that.

What you should do is start a log of your matches. There are many books and formats and so on, and others can chime in on that. I record my scores and observations in a spreadsheet on the computer. I can print it and bring it out if I want to.

Now you know how things work and you shot the match. The score is unimportant, just record it and watch as it increases. You should have observed things and decided on things you needed to do or get for next time. Creating a checklist for before the match and then before your relay is a good idea. You might also create a list of things to do after the relay. The more you can lay out the routine, the better it will be as you can then concentrate on the shooting.

Tell us a little bit about what you discovered, what surprised you and what you really enjoyed.