• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors first pistol, questions

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
first, let me state that I choose most pistols by how they feel in my hand and how instinctive the controls are.

In the past, i have shot well with Beretta 92, Walther P99, Bersa Thunder and recently picked up and fired an XD and a smith M&P.

I'm thinking about getting a handgun and the wife is starting to warm up to the idea too. The weapon chosen will be for CC on myself, and to a limited degree to introduce her to shooting and getting her comfortable around handguns which until this weekend was a NO GO.

9mm or 40? Def won't go 45 - she will never hold it again after shooting it. I have never liked the way a glock feels but both the XD and the M&P shot well for me when instinctive firing (all shots in torso at 10 yds from below sight plane)as did the beretta and the walther so if you had the choice would you go with:

M&P .40 or 9mm
Bersa .40 or 9mm
Taurus 24/7 .40 or 9mm
Walther is out of my price range I think as is the beretta

I'm trying to stay under 500 and less than 400 if i can. (including accessories...pancake, 2 mags, mag holder, etc)

Re: first pistol, questions

First pistol should always be a 9mm. 2nd pistol should always be a .22. The only one on your list I'd consider is the M&P. Taurus is junk across the board. If you think .45 kicks hard, wait until you shoot a .40.

You need at least $600, if not more to accomplish this. Find your favorite 9mm that fits your hand and buy it and a pile of ammo.

Off of your list I'd suggest the M&P. Since you mention using it to introduce your wife to handguns I'd suggest the 9mm. The .40 has a snap in recoil that the 9mm and .45 do not have.

That said, I would suggest starting her off with a .22. The noise and recoil of a center fire could make her develop a flinch that's hard to get rid of. Even the 9mm to someone who has zero experience with a pistol can be a little too much at first.

If you want to get a good gun for less that 400 bucks id get a S&W Sigma 40. I've had mine for around 3-4 yrs now and have never ran into a problem with it. But going off of you list I'd go for the M&P.

I love my XD40 subcompact for carry, but I started with a Sig p228 in 9mm, big difference in kick but you can get used to the .40. Never have shot a .45 so I can not comment on that.

Interesting very interesting. First of all save more money, a cc weapon is not one to skimp on. I'm not saying a $500 gun is a bad gun but you do get what you pay for. I shoot a USP 45 normally with +P rounds.{the 230 grain ones} Once I turn 21 I will carry it also, as I have had it since I was 16 and have shot many thousands of rounds thru it and it is the only pistol i have that I know like the back of my hand. I have heard nothing but great reviews for the XD or XDM series, My sister has a EAA P45 which seems to be a great gun. As for your choice I would recommend at least a 9mm for cc, But I never start anyone new to handguns with anything less than a 45, and that has never deterred anyone. But then again I only help people who want to learn. Also don't skimp on your carry rig, I have been saving up for a Kramer crossdraw holster and gun belt, together they will cost me about $375-$400. So ya its not cheap but what is? Good luck and let us know if there is any other way we can help. Pat

I know this is not in your lineup but a used glock in a 9mm would be my choice for that price range. 9mm has a light recoil, 40 alittle more and 45 even greater.
Hot loads and heavier weighted bullets is where the snap or greater recoil comes from, barrel length can also play a factor in this. I don't have any experience with the M&P but alot of people seem to like it. So if I had to choose one out of your lineup it would be the M&P by process of elimination. Bersa is not one I would recommend (I believe one would have to run about 20,000 rounds thru one just for the weapon to run smoothly and you would still have a 25 lb crappy trigger). I havn't heard much good out of Taurus autos, been around some, shot a few. A good used springfield would be a good choice as well for that price range and it might save you some cash to buy the Springfield XD used (Many of them came with a holster, 2 mags and a mag holster)....Hope this helps........SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would suggest posting a picture of your girlfriend first in the hot girlfriends forum......then we will decide what YOU would need </div></div>

This is very true, it would help if we could see her then keyboard commando her up the right handgun.

Really, stay away from Taurus. I have a pt 145, it wouldn't shoot but a cretin brand of ammo. I sent it in a 6 months latter I got it back, It has been 100% scene then, but Taurus has that no questions asked warranty for a reason, YOU PROBABLY WILL NEED IT!!!

As for the recoil, I think of 45 as a slow push vs. the snap of the .40.

If both you and the wife are going to be working on pistol skill with this gun, I'd go with the Springfield XDM in 9mm. I don't like 9mm myself, but it's best for inexperienced shooters if you don't want to get a .22 to learn on.

You may also want to look for a Sig Pro in 9mm. I saw a few on GB a while back around $500. I've had a Sig Pro in 40 since 2004 and it's been a darling of a gun. Cost efficient, reliable, accurate, and really smooth to shoot.

thanks for the input gents...went playing again today and fondled a piece that feels remarkably well for it's small size. Bud's has a good price on it too...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/197/products_id/32469

now waiting on income tax check.

And by the way...there will be no picks of Mrs. JasonB on the hotties thread...she'd kill me and yes..she DOES wear the pants. It was hard enough getting her to warm up to the idea of having a pistol in the house.

Get the M&P9. You really can't go wrong with the M&P. It is ergonomic, accurate, reliable, and light weight. I love my M&P. I should probably make someone a deal on my Glock 19 right now and buy another one.
smile.gif

Not in your choices but it was in your text... The XD .40 Sub compact is what I carry. My friends 15 year old daughter shoots this pistol sometimes, and she handles it very well. This pistol has had hundreds of rounds run through it, from crappy 9 year old ammo to expensive stuff with no failures yet. It has also been packed full of New Mexico dust, and still did its job. Also check out the CZ 2075 Rami

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the input gents...went playing again today and fondled a piece that feels remarkably well for it's small size. Bud's has a good price on it too...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/197/products_id/32469

now waiting on income tax check.

And by the way...there will be no picks of Mrs. JasonB on the hotties thread...she'd kill me and yes..she DOES wear the pants. It was hard enough getting her to warm up to the idea of having a pistol in the house.</div></div>
Buds Gun shop is good to deal with. I have bought two or more weapons and a Tactical Leupold from them in person...They are local for me and very customer oriented........SmokeRolls

If its gonna be a cc gun, buy once cry once. It is something that you might depend on to save you or your girls life, how much are those lives worth to you?!

Some good answers above, save money, look at sigs, hk, but you can get into the sigs and hk for under a grand, close to 800 if you shop right.

Not saying that your life is only worth 800, just saying from what I have seen that seems to be where consistent relibality seems to start other than glocks. And that is one of the most important things to me is being reliable. Not saying any of the others arent, well except maybe tauras. Unless you like snap, stay away from the 40, 45s dont kick bad, and sig makes a 22 trainer upper for most of their guns.

just my 2 sense

I was wondering why the XD in 9mm wasn't on the list of arms you were looking at, even though you mentioned it in your original post. For the money, I don't see how you can beat the XD. For your price range, it has everything you want. I personally trust my M&P 40 compact; as I've never been able to make it malfunction. Granted, I haven't tried firing it underwater or burying it in sand for a week. But, if I'm trying to shoot underwater or somewhere that I've been in sand for a week I figure I have bigger problems than a weapon failure.

I carry 147 grain Winchester Ranger bonded hollow points in my Glock 9mm. If you get a 9mm, I would recommend getting some type of good bonded hollow points as your self defense round. Get plenty of target ammunition, and you and your wife should shoot every chance you get to get used to the gun.

For your wants and price range, my mind jumped to one of the XDs, be it 9mm or .40. My next handgun will probably be a 5" XD 45, and I've heard a lot of good things about the XDs in general. One of my best friends booted his Taurus PT140 in favor of a 3" XD40 and that decision could have saved his life. Don't buy a Taurus semi-auto, they have been proven unreliable in my personal experience.

fired an XD in 45 this morning...and I liked it. I never knew this and thanks for the eye opener - the 40 has a MUCH sharper recoil than the .45

Liken the 45 to be like my 12 guage shooting bird shot vs sabot slugs...same gun but lightyears apart in recoil. the .45 was a smooth shove and it was very easy to come back into the sight plane with my target. I was walking most of my shots to the upper left indicating grip issues likely stemming from my own insecurity and thought that the gun was going to recoil more than it did. Would not take long to cure this especially when i know it's happening. the XD feels wonderful and has less angle in the grip than the glock. it points very instinctive for me and not so much for the W1f3 unit. looks like we will be a two gun house afterall.

Just had the tax guy over too and it looks like we are getting more back from Unkle Sam than thought too...might take this opportunity to add a semi auto 22 trainer for her and the boys.

Anyone got a good price on the KelTec PMR30? it just might fail often enough to train how to react to failure for the wife. (looking for the silver lining...)

it's not expensive for me to feed the PMR30 - i have plenty of 22WMR from trying to find what my rifle likes to shoot. Prolly have 500+ rounds in an ammo can that will have never seen light again if i don't get something else to feed them to. The new Keltec pistol looks VERY interesting to me as a trainer...but sadly the grip will be WAY to big for her. nevertheless...a very fun toy for me though. Indecision and too much coffee...going to work to clear my thoughts for a while. been drooling on pics of the PMR30 all morning and wondering when they will release a carbine that takes the same mags...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rgkeller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
M&Ps in 9mm have documented Failure to Extract issues. </div></div>

Do you have a link? I'm not flaming you just curious. I have a Pro with about 500 flawless rounds through it and would like to see the reports.