• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

First rifle

argust

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2024
Texas
Hey guys, I've been looking at this site for a while now, and have seen lots of helpful posts and what not. I am starting this thread in the hopes that you guys could give some advise for the best, first rifle. I want a tactical look, but accuracy is my main concern. Here's the catch, I'm a student on a tight budget, 500$ to be exact. Later on I would most likely upgrade the barrel and trigger, once I have another job. Any advice would be great.

I'd look on Gunbroker for a Remington 700 in a Varmint or Police configuration.

You may have to stretch closer to $1000.

You will be able to build whatever you want off the receiver over time.

Have a little patience and save more money if buying a starter for a project is what you really want to do. Better yet is to save even more money and purchase a already complete rifle that you can take out and shoot right away. Use that complete rifle to hone your basic skills while you're exposed to others rifles. Then you'll have a better idea of what you really need or want as a starter for a project if you still want to go that way.

Howa 1500 heavy barreled action from Brownells is the lowest cost option I'd personally go. Wait for them to be on sale or find a good coupon code and you can get them under $400.

Heavy barrel, threaded muzzle, usable trigger... You'll need a stock or chassis and a picatinny rail to finish it out.

It's far away from a finished system, but a good starting point at your budget. That or consider Ruger's American Gen 2 rifles. They seem decent for the price too.

It's going to take A lot more money for a complete system then $500. If you shoot a lot You'll spend more than that in ammo quickly. Buckle up...

Reactions: MO Fugga
$500 is going to get you a beater rifle that you can reuse the action for...

Just understand that after you upgrade the barrel, stock, base and trigger over the next few years as funds allow that you will be in the territory of a higher-end factory offering. There is no $500 and done these years if precision is one of your goals.

20'ish years ago when I ventured from standard hunting rifles into my first tactical, I did the $500 (at the time) Savage 10FP in .308. It shot well enough to keep me interested, but I started swapping everything out until I had twice as much again invested...and still had a Savage.

Ain't no shame in the Ramen noodles game until you double your budget. For $1K these days you can usually find something good enough to keep you interested for a while too.

Reactions: Aftermath
I would recommend waiting/saving a bit more. Typically something like a demo tikka or something similar may be possible for a couple hundred more ideally look for a simple ctr as they have the threaded barrel. New $500 is going to be difficult for anything you would want to keep long term. Also euro optic occasionally has close outs on tikkas or sakos.

I'd get a Ruger 10/22 and start enjoying shooting there. They are inexpensive and ammo will be much cheaper. You won't need to spend as much on optics. You'll be able to shoot a lot more. You'll also have a rifle that you'll never feel the need to stop shooting or get rid of. You always need a 22.

Then save up for a centerfire that you won't feel the need to upgrade. Putting a barrel on an old rifle isn't super cost effective, and it doesn't accomplish much unless you're also handloading. If you just want a rifle that's accurate, Ruger Americans, Savages, and Tikkas all shoot great and should get one MOA with factory match ammo. It's off the self ammo (and the shooter) that limits most factory rifles these days, imo. If you're still shooting off the shelf ammo, a $1000 barrel won't help.

Don't do it. $500 isn't enough for any centefire worth owning.
By a RPR rimfire or cz457 and a $400 Arken scope. Buy a brick of eley club and go shoot.
I think a lot of us made these mistakes. Start with a $500 rifle. Then a $300 trigger next is a $400-$1500 chassis/stock. Then $1000 for a full barrel and blueprint. And your $2500-3000 in on a remingotn 700(the only one worth doing it to, cause your trigger and stock will adapt to your Impact 737 action you build off next).
Then you walk through all the price brackets of scopes from $300 to $4500. And you end up spending $10,000 because you bought 15 scopes working up to where ever you decide is finally good enough, the entire time wondering if you really should get a ZC or TT....
Just get into air soft. Is better exercise anyways.

Last edited:
My first instinct was to join the "save up and wait, you'll be happier" crowd- and there's definitely sound reasoning there.

That said, I can't see a downside to a "starter" stick like this- as long as you accept the limitations...

Savages are a fugly, they have their technical flaws- but they go bang, and most here (including the rifle snobs :)) will concede that they (usually) are quite accurate out of the box for a low-end production rifle. The Weaver scope should be adequate for your intended use.
The reason high-end optics cost what they do, is clarity, feel, and precision tracking. You'll get none of that with this scope- but once dialed in at 100 yards (or whatever distance you're shooting) you should be able to hit what you're aiming at. Just don't expect accurate tracking where you can just dial and shoot. The .223 ammo is plentiful and available and will keep your range time as inexpensive as you're gonna get.

Black Friday isn't too far away, and there's bound to be some deals then.

$500 for just the rifle? Or the scope and rings too?

I think you could maybe swing a used Tikka for $500

But if your budget is for everything, man, I dunno man. That’s tough.

Your local gun store will be your friend. Gunbroker is a mess. Gunsinternational has given me better end product on used stuff.

$500 barely scrapes the surface now days

A used savage 10 or 12FV with heavy barrel and cheap stock would be about as close as you’re going to get with decent accuracy. If your budget is including optic you won’t touch anything worth owning or that’s even usable for that price

Lots of great advice.
I am torn for you.
I like to shoot so my first instinct is to tell you to get a used 22LR and start shooting. You can hone skills while not breaking the bank.

But I like to shoot more than 22LR and you won't even get a decent rifle for $500. Plus you need a scope and mounting. Your rifle may need to be bedded, and that's 100% do it yourself area but still costs some money. May need a trigger. You will need ammo and that's not cheap. It gets a little better once you are set up to reload but that gear will buy a bunch of ammo...sort of a catch 22.

I'm back to finding a decent 22LR just so you can get started shooting. My first rifle was a 22LR. I'd bet dollars to donuts that there are whole bunch of guys here that will tell you the same thing. I'd go with a bolt action just so that you can start getting that process into muscle memory. Plus, I'm guilty of shooting way more ammo with my semi-autos than my bolts, guilty of not really concentrating on each shot. 22LR ammo is not as expensive as the center fire stuff.

Plus...you live in Texas. It will be difficult for you to find a decent place to practice that won't have a big fee. Unless you already have that part figured out.

Check out the stuff for sale here. Or...a new CZ457 will be about $600. You can find used scopes here or buy a cheap one and still be under $200. Plus ammo.

Ramen for a couple more months and get a used 22LR, scope and ammo and get to shooting.