• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

First SA Magnum

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I have .223, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7.62mm barrels for all my Zermatt TL3 actions. I also have a magnum bolt-head, but no magnum caliber and I want one.

What is a good SA magnum that has ammo available as well as is easy to reload for? Initially I plan on just buying ammo...if I can find it...which is another concern. Am set up to reload as well...but don't want anything that relies on impossible to find or boutique powders.

I want to use it for hunting and ELR. I don't know much about the magnums, but have three TL3's and don't want to buy another receiver or chassis...I use a Matrix. Will I need to buy different mags? If so, which ones and will they fit a standard MPA chassis magwell etc?

Thansk!

For factory ammunition 300WSM hunting ammo that will easily work in a SA and reload Heavys and single feed for ELR.

That’s what I do with my 7 saum but factory is almost nonexistent.

Accurate 300 wsm mags.

There is no really good true short action magnum for ELR because of mag length. But, you can single load. I run 180 vld un mags and it is easy to load for my 7 Sherman short. The 180 are hammers hunting, I have shots out to 590, and took my elk that far.

I think the short action magnum favors the 7mm bullets for the case capacity to bullet weight.

Because factory ammo is rather hard to find, you are probably better off going 7 saum or my favorite 7 sherman short mag. Reloading is simple. Load up to it, but 60.5 of RL 26 under 180 vld is a hammer at 3050 fps for me and lots of other guys. Its a super efficient and consistent case like 6br. Short and fat. It used 6 grains less powder of H1000 than my 7 mag and had more velocity.

If you watch for it, you can find powders for the 7s and get brass from ADG. Sherman sells his brass headstamped and made by ADG.

For factory ammunition 300WSM hunting ammo that will easily work in a SA and reload Heavys and single feed for ELR.

That’s what I do with my 7 saum but factory is almost nonexistent.

@Steel head will factory 300wsm rifles chamber longer heavies (215, 220, 230) or do I need a custom chamber?

@Steel head will factory 300wsm rifles chamber longer heavies (215, 220, 230) or do I need a custom chamber?
    Yes.
    The longer high BC bullets typically place the point where the bullet touches the lands further back than common hunting bullets.

Example-my Saami 7 saum chamber.
    3.1 to jam with 190 Berger’s
    2.86 to jam on 168 Berger classic hunters.
    Obviously if you want to be close to the lands feeding from a SA mag isn’t an option with the 190’s but I single load for ELR anyways.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    Holy crap. I never considered how different the bullet shapes would be. Thanks for that insight.

Holy crap. I never considered how different the bullet shapes would be. Thanks for that insight.
    190 on the left and 168 on the right
    The mark is beginning of ogive.
    CC016172-58C8-41EA-A864-78140B5F4C6E.jpeg

190 on the left and 168 on the right
    The mark is beginning of ogive.
    View attachment 7482335

Good illustration. To get the BC higher, the bullet is made longer, and the place that gets stretched is the nose. Its the difference in nose shape: Secant vs. Tangent ogive. And, when you jump up 22 grains, you can't make the bullet fatter so it has to get 22 grains worth longer as well. That is what goes into the nose.

Your adventures in loading WSM will be constrained by powder and primers. I ran H1000 in 7WSM and 7SAUM. I run R26 in 6.5PRC. If you long load 300WSM or 7WSM you'll be looking at Retumbo or H1000. You could try Magpro, 7828, 4955, etc. I have no idea what availability is for those powders though.

Reactions: earthquake
    7mm saum at least that will be my first if I can still get it later in the summer . .

If factory ammo is a must 300 wsm is your answer. I got a buddy running one mag feed with 180 bergers going 3090 fps. Not the top end of velocity with the wsm but mag length restricts performance. I run a 7 saum and I'm very happy with it, adg brass is awesome in it. If u r reloading for 300 wsm brass is a problem there is no great brass made for the cartridge.

Reactions: earthquake
    The PRC is a long action
    I believe they are discussing short action options

PRC is a marketing name for a series of Hornady cartridges. Unlike WSM, there are some rather significant differences between 6.5PRC and 300PRC. 6.5PRC is a short mag.