• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

First shot not on paper....next shots dead nuts on

Spanky4888

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2010
TX, USA
I have a Remington 700, B&C A5 medalist stock, bdl bottom metal, Nikon Monarch optic. This dam thing won't even hit the paper on the first shot at 100 yards, but every shot after that are dead on. I mean i can put the next 20 rounds I side of a 1" circle, but that first cold barrel shot is not even on the paper. Today I shot at 200 yards, first shot didn't hit. Next 10 shots all dam near touching each other on the bullseye. What are your thoughts?Heat related? Re-torque everything? Barrel is free floating....I checked. What can I check or change?

Re: First shot not on paper....next shots dead nuts on

Let someone else (that can shoot) shoot a cold bore shot from it before you ever fire it. If they hit the paper, it means it's a case of "cold shooter" rather than "cold bore".

Last time out I put the gun in a Caldwell sled to see if it was me.....same thing happened. I'll try and have someone else shoot the first shot next time. I don't think it's me, I practice dry firing at home....maybe I'm wrong and I am the problem? Was hoping there was something mechanical I could check...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky4888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was hoping there was something mechanical I could check...</div></div>

just tighten the loose nut behind the rifle
wink.gif

It would be VERY odd to have the first shot sooooo far off, and the next 10 dead on ??? Not sure what this could be.

Is it EVERY cold bore shot ? or just the majority ?

Hmmmm, u are not cleaning the gun, so its not excessive oil/grease. Did you check torque on rings, base, stock?

Have you shot a group of 20 rds, then waited for the rifle to cool and try again? Are you still getting a cold bore flier or is it just the first time at the range each day?

You would have to be a pretty horrible shot to not even hit paper at a 100 yds with a zero'd in high powered rifle!! Even on a cold bore shot...if you were pulling a few inches I would say it was most likey you, but missing paper at 100yds? I highly doubt its you based on that alone.

But I have also never experienced such an odd ball event so unfortunately can't suggest anything ecept...

Sell it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOwens79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try changing out scopes?</div></div>

what he said, I'll sell you a USO
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOwens79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try changing out scopes? </div></div>

Had a scope once that would print 2 great groups 3" apart. Each shot would go back and forth. Good luck.
grin.gif

Regards, Paul

How would this be a scope issue?

its only the first shot according to him...I have never heard of a cold reticle in a scope to where after the first shot it aligns itself again LOL. If it were a scope problem it would occur more than just the first shot

The reticle erector assembly is usually held to a v-block looking gadget with springs, I've had a scope that would drift into the weeds when the gun was transported Vertically, sent it in and it turned out 1 spring was out of place, they fixed it and the problem went away. I've also had one that you had to smack hard each time you wanted to adjust it to "set" the reticle in the new position. (Ancient weaver K4.) You might try a gentle thump with a rubber mallet from the front (Opposite of recoil) and see if it throws a flier. The recoil may be pushing the guts back in place on the first shot.

Dave

A couple other things to try; make shure your action bolts are not too long in that they touch the barrel. Mark the ends of the bolts with dykem or marker, install barreled action in stock and torque screws down. If the dykem is removed after takeing the screws out they are too long and need to be shortened as they are hitting the barrel. Clean trigger with lighter fluid as a dirty trigger can cause flyers because of firing pin hangups. If you still cannot figure it out, have someone watch your technique or even video tape your shooting so you can review it yourself. You can also have someone alternate loading your rifle for you so you don't know if it is loaded or not and this technique will help cure jerking the trigger.

Next time you go out, smack the whit out of the scope with a screwdriver handle or something g before you break the first shot.

This will simulate recoil, which might be settling your scope. If it works its your scope.