• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Fixed Blade for Daily Carry

Re: Fixed Blade for Daily Carry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you fellas carry a fixed blade knife along with you CCW? In Tn, you can carry a knife with a blade up to 4" and be within the law.

</div></div>
I do, daily.

Typically a Tracker Dan Bloodshark for starters:

bloodshark-edit.jpg

Sometimes I add the modified Gerber Guardian, or Cold Steel Braveheart, too - as seen below:
IMAG0266.jpg

Michigan has some archaic knife laws:

The general concealed weapon law, MCL §750.227(1), makes it a felony to carry a “dagger, dirk, stiletto, double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person or whether concealed or otherwise in a motor vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on land possessed by the person.”

MCL §750.226 provides that “Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a [five year] felony...”

So, some lawyers will say that you can carry a knife concealed in Michigan provided that it is not an automatic knife and it is a pocket-style knife (and not a knife designed or customarily used as a weapon). That appears to be true according to some very old case law, but only if the pocket knife was not designed, manufactured or marketed as a fighting knife, it is not used as a weapon, and you do not intend to use it as a weapon. And remember that any such 'utility' knife or 'pocket' knife will become a dangerous weapon as soon as you use it to protect yourself or if you carry it for the purpose of protecting yourself.

Bottom line: I wouldn’t carry a knife for self-defense unless I was prohibited from carrying a gun.

Jim, is the Tracker Dan Bloodshark the knife with the green paracord wrapping in the first picture? That is an AWESOME looking knife("awesome" is overused, but applicable in this case).

As was said, you need to be very careful not to run afoul of local laws. As is the case here, while we have statewide firearms laws that preempt any local lawmaking, knives are a different matter.

I'm sort of forced by circumstance to carry what might be considered a fixed blade weapon if push came to shove, but I have no choice. Bare minimum for me is a HAK, which I wear 24/7, even as I sleep. "Sunday best" is one of these, or the larger of these two. Typical day-to-day is a Fred Perrin Spyderco Street Beat, or a Boker Plus Mosier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MCL §750.226 provides that “Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a [five year] felony...”

Bottom line: I wouldn’t carry a knife for self-defense unless I was prohibited from carrying a gun. </div></div>

If you're carrying a knife with the intent to use it unlawfully against another person, I think you should be locked up regardless of the details.

I also don't think it's wise to carry a knife for self-defense, but I also don't think that'd be any sort of "unlawful intent."

I went with the ESEE 3... probably should have gotten the Izula instead though. While the 3 is a badass knife, it is larger than I wanted so it went onto my gear rather than on my belt & does not get carried everyday.

... the search continues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nashlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim, is the Tracker Dan Bloodshark the knife with the green paracord wrapping in the first picture? That is an AWESOME looking knife("awesome" is overused, but applicable in this case).</div></div>

Thanks dude!

I'll have an article coming out on it soon. REALLY well thought out design.

Really optimized for concealed carry. Some high speed covert/UC guys are using them overseas for concealment work.

Tracker Dan is working on a bigger version of it for overt/offensive carry (~9" overall length, handle is about .5" longer, blade is just about 2" longer).

The handle is minimal in length so it's harder for someone to grab/strip out of your hand. Optimized for a thumb cap in reverse grip and palm assisted shots in forward grip. Handle is cone shaped moving towards the blade to reduce the likelyhood of riding the blade if you hit a hard object during a thrust. The tail is flared out to give you more bite on the draw. OAL is kept to minimum to retain as much concealment as possible while giving enough blade length to reach most every vital target in the body.

Very much a weapon, from start to finish.

I really like the Strider, but I think I am going to get an Esee knife for starters. I am impressed with the Izula for its small size and apparent quality. The R3 looks nice, too.

Thank you all for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to, but currently don't because the knife I want (emerson fixed blade karambit) seems to never be in stock.</div></div> Have you figured out how to carry that yet?

Large karambits can be tough to conceal in sheaths that are easy to get to and fast to deploy.

If you've got it worked out, I'm interested to see what you have in mind. Thinking about adding a small one myself, to carry.

OK, I had time to snap a few quick pictures. Enjoy.

The Woods Hide Hunter rides quite well for me, just high enough and out of the way. I wear a London Bridge Trading LBT-6094M plate carrier and the knife sets nicely just under it when riding in the truck and walking without any issue of poking or getting caught up. Also the kydex carrier Steve supplies has plenty of adjustment and can be changed from a left hand carry to a right hand carry by just unscrewing and moving the bracket from one side to the other.(pictured).

Any questions feel free to ask.

DSCN1980.jpg

DSCN1981.jpg

DSCN1982.jpg

DSCN1983.jpg

DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to, but currently don't because the knife I want (emerson fixed blade karambit) seems to never be in stock.</div></div> Have you figured out how to carry that yet?

Large karambits can be tough to conceal in sheaths that are easy to get to and fast to deploy.

If you've got it worked out, I'm interested to see what you have in mind. Thinking about adding a small one myself, to carry. </div></div>

I wasn't going to conceal it 100%. Mostly, it would be back up if someone grabbed for my gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CTone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Esee izula </div></div>

What he said

DSC05895.jpg
</div></div>

how are you carrying that izula?

Like this:
DSC05893.jpg

DSC05894.jpg

The Izula comes with the kydex sheath, and I used a metal clip from a cheap no-name holster with some chicago screws from a Blackhawk holster and fastened it myself. I had to drill holes in the metal clip that lined up with the two slots on the sheath. It's damned secure, and I can wear it in the front like in my first picture, or put it SOB for a left hand draw.

***ETA: If you wrap the handle of the Izula with cord like I did and leave the tail hanging off, it will print when you have a T-shirt over it. I would leave off the tail if you are looking for concealment.

mydogsmonkey-"i wish i could carry a fixed blade, i live in cali, can you tell?" I live in Cali as well and i believe the law states you can have any length fixed blade on person just as long as it is not concealed so just wear it exposed and you are good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to, but currently don't because the knife I want (emerson fixed blade karambit) seems to never be in stock.</div></div> Have you figured out how to carry that yet?

If you've got it worked out, I'm interested to see what you have in mind. Thinking about adding a small one myself, to carry. </div></div>

Finally found one in stock, but went with the folder instead which IS easy to hide.

2s1szr9.jpg

I know it isn't a fixed blade, but it seems as solid as the other plus it is easy to conceal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xdeano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ESEE-3 or ESEE-4

They are a 1095 carbon steel and unreal sharp.

http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm

xdeano </div></div>

I have to agree with this. Also 1095 is real easy to resharpen. I have an ESEE-3 and its smaller sibling the IZULA.

i carry a emerson everyday, i have two of them, they are faster then any auto i've owned out of the pocket, easy to use one handed, and emerson stands behind their product 110 percent. don't see myself carrying anything but emerson anytime soon.

Concur. My emerson (w wave) is as fast as any auto. Only fixed blade edc i carry is the enyo by Spartan Blades. Wear it as a necker. S30V, great lines, good handling and balance.

Heh,heh, thanks! If I could get more time to work on 'em, I would. It's been weeks since I could get in the shop and do some grinding. Sold a few on bladeforums, but I've only completed about 7 knives so far.

I almost always carry a Cold Steel Desperado inside the waistband at the 4:00 position. And I switch between an Izula or Emerson folder for my weakside carry.