• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Flat Shooting caliber

Re: Flat Shooting caliber

+1to .223 over .243 I have both and prefer .223 so much I have 2 a 7615 and a 5r milspec the pump for the ute and the 5r for long range as for range knocked goats to 300yds and the longest shot I've taken is 530yds on a bunny. For .243 I use barnes varmint grenades perfect for foxes and bunnies out to 400yds+ I just prefer the .223 cos it's cheaper to run and I think flatter shooting but both are awesome rounds but I agree if you have a .308 get the .223 the .243 is too in-between I'm in aus aswell and apart from deer and big pigs I grab the .223 to shoot everything else

As far as optics go I run a 2.5-8 leupold on my pump a 6-24 ffp vortex on the 5r and a 3-9 bsa on the .243 if your primarily spotlighting I wouldn't go anything higher then a 16x just get a 50 or 56 objective to let the light in and as for .243 accuracy mine shoots .5's at 100 and the 5r .223 shoots .2's

As far as optics go I run a 2.5-8 leupold on my pump a 6-24 ffp vortex on the 5r and a 3-9 bsa on the .243 if your primarily spotlighting I wouldn't go anything higher then a 16x just get a 50 or 56 objective to let the light in and as for .243 accuracy mine shoots .5's at 100 and the 5r .223 shoots .2's

Last of all .223 is basically a military round so ammo is dirt cheap in comparison Tula and wolf are your cheapest I think your best bet is talk to a pro roo shooter and see what they all use you will find they nearly all use a .22 of some variety most use .223 or .22-250 as .222 is being made obsolete by .223 and the roo shooters are spot on they have to head shoot so in short just buy a .223 you won't regret it ever everyone I know either has one or is going to get 1

you have gotten some good advise here if you really want a 243 get a 243 , but as I and a few other's have said it is very close in performance to the 308 for a close range hunting round ie inside 300yd's , but if thats what you want get what you want
get it because you will not be happy with what ever you get if it's not what you want .

once you have it go and learn it .

That being said glass help's me a lot with my night shooting I did a lot of spotlighting when I left school about 11yr's ago I went contract shooting I did a lot of night shooting I started with CMC Mountaineer .223 I cant remember what scope I had on it but it was in the 3-9x50-56 objective range as it was a great rifle for shooting fox's in low light I shot it out. I also had a rugger M77 chambered in 270win with a leupold 3-9x40 scope on it I remember as it cost me $1500 to set up that rifle with scope reloading die's and everything needed to go shooting .

I used that 270 a lot culling donkey's horse's cattle goat's and deer , but my main stay was my 223 for night shooting out of a vehicle that was my tool of choice it was effective cheap to run and could get what ever I need done .

I did buy a 22-250 it was a WIn mod70 I used it for a wile but sold it later it cost me a bit more to run was dam loud when i sold the 22-250 I bought another Ruger M77 mk11 this time chambered in 308 with a Tasco 2.5-10x42 I still own this rifle it's on it second barrel , I just like this rifle I don't think I will ever sell it , it has to many story's that are all mine .

I also owned a Brono 601also chambered in 308 that I shot out and had rebelled , I sold it to a mad yank he wanted it and offered me more than it was worth I wish I still had that rifle , I
have been looking for another but have not found one yet .

I also used a Brono 22lr a lot especially when I went down to NSW shooting at night still have that gun two , roo's out to 100 yards are no problem with this rifle , as long as it's not to windy .

At the moment my only 223 is a SPS tactical that is toped with a USO SN-3 it is a pretty good rig , I am still working on it I would like to put a new stock (A5) on it but it shoot's ok so I am not in a rush .

get good glass is probably more important than any thing else spend at least as much on glass as you did on the rifle , sometimes more . illuminated reticules are worth it to , you don't need one but they do make life easer .

are you shooting out in desert or plain's ? That is about the only time I had a bit of trouble ranging as there was noting to reference but you will learn as you get more experience , remember the shot's are all pretty close it's not like you are trying to shoot a roo at 850yd's on the hop .

If you are ever in Mt Isa let me know .

A good scope I think for the dollars would be a 4-16x50 vortex viper pst ffp awesome clarity for the price illuminated reticle and being first focal plane holdovers won't change so low mag on the ute to get larger field of view and then zoom in for longer shots during the day and holdovers won't change for what u want don't go second focal won't have the variety you want mil/mil or moa/moa it's up to you just get what your more comfortable with

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last of all .223 is basically a military round so ammo is dirt cheap in comparison Tula and wolf are your cheapest I think your best bet is talk to a pro roo shooter and see what they all use you will find they nearly all use a .22 of some variety most use .223 or .22-250 as .222 is being made obsolete by .223 and the roo shooters are spot on they have to head shoot so in short just buy a .223 you won't regret it ever everyone I know either has one or is going to get 1 </div></div>

yea thanks for the idea about talking to a roo shooter, i never even thought about that! yea all the roo shooters use 223's an 250's around my way. an they obviously do it for a reason. this is now heading me towards the 223. ill have a chat to them an find out their recipe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.204 is flat shooting! Out to 300 its just point and shoot! </div></div>

Owned most of the cartridges mentioned in this thread and plenty that weren't. For varmints out to 300Y 204R rocks. 32's at 4200fps get the job done with less recoil and plenty of thwack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.204 is flat shooting! Out to 300 its just point and shoot! </div></div>

Owned most of the cartridges mentioned in this thread and plenty that weren't. For varmints out to 300Y 204R rocks. 32's at 4200fps get the job done with less recoil and plenty of thwack. </div></div>

how many rounds on average do u get out of a 204 before u need to re-barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joycey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

how many rounds on average do u get out of a 204 before u need to re-barrel? </div></div>
I know of one that has over 4000 and still shoots 1/2moa. It is a factory remington barrel.

I employ the .222 Rem, .223 Rem, .260 Rem, and .280 Rem for precision shooting applications; and would (and may) restore the .22-250 to my rifle chambering array.

The reason I don't currently own a .22-250 is that I've found they just heat up too fast for the higher volume shooting requirements of match shooting scenarios. But for lower volume of fire requirements, the .22-250 would easily be my first choice for an extended range varmint chambering.

surprised the 257 roy did not come up. lazer flat, wicked down range, good bc's solids available for ultimate pelt savings, or the ttsx for use too....fun gun. you would never have to hold over or lead with most spotlights.

Why not just load up some 110's for your 308? If you don't reload you cam get a very nice reloading setup for less than what a new rifle will cost and you can load up a couple thousand rounds too for what it will cost you to scope it. If you don't want to load you can get the 110 vmax is hornady's TAP load for your 308.

If you really want another rifle 243 or 22-250 would be my choices. I'd personally pick the 243 because they're both barrel burners and 243 is capable of bigger game if you choose to do so.

Depending on how much you plan to shoot keep barrel life in mind. From the barrel life standpoint 308 and 223 really shine.

Since no one else has said it, don't forget the .270 Winchester. I've got three of them set up with 100-grain Sierra Pro-Hunter softpoints at 3,395 fps, zeroed at about 274, within 3" of point of aim out to about 322 yards. My wife, sons and I all filled our mule deer tags this month, with one at 120 yards in the base of the neck, one at 140 yards in the base of the neck (a large buck, the only one that did not go all the way through), one through the heart at 295 (my wife's - Dead Eye Donna), and mine through the lungs with a bit of shoulder at 375 yards.

Might be a bit much of foxes, but a very versatile cartridge.

far out! there are to many choices
im thinking the 204, 223 or 243.

Positives - super flat shooting out to 300 (max ill be shooting at night)

negatives - not real cheap factory ammo, effected by the wind, have heard barrel life isnt great??

positives - real cheap ammo, great barrel life, get ammo anywhere

negatives - not as flat 204 or 243

positives - flat shooting (55gr) hit=kill, better in windy conditions

negatives - not real cheap factory ammo, i already have a 308.

also can some one tell me more about the 223AI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joycey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacBlade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.204 is flat shooting! Out to 300 its just point and shoot! </div></div>

Owned most of the cartridges mentioned in this thread and plenty that weren't. For varmints out to 300Y 204R rocks. 32's at 4200fps get the job done with less recoil and plenty of thwack. </div></div>

how many rounds on average do u get out of a 204 before u need to re-barrel? </div></div>

You might have guessed by my comment that I buy,sell and trade a lot,LOL. It's already been years since I sold the rifle but had it for two seasons. A little over a thousand through that Cooper M21 and it still shot like the day I bought it. Even still have the .2" and a .3" 5 shot groups I shot with it hanging in the gun room. I killed so many Prairie Dogs with it I felt guilty,that and I had to drive farther and farther away from home to find them so I after a while I sold it. Mostly been killing steel ever since and getting into shootin matches. I can't believe 300Y is boring now,LOL.

223ai you will need to reload for I don't think anyone produces factory loaded rounds for them and not all gun shops will carry it if they do never owned a .204 heard good things on small game with them don't know how they would go on a goat though

25-06 ackley improved with 115 berger VLD's is about as flat as it gets for me.if your looking for small and light i would go with a 243 shooting 107 matchkings. ive got both and they are both flat and tact drivers at any distance i shoot.

I wish you were in the states joycey. I've got a Rem 700 VSSF ll calling your name in .204 ruger. Everything about it is just fun. Some say the barrel life is nearly as good as the 223 which I find hard to imagine. Then again some have proof so shit on me. No recoil, tiny groups, and cheap reloads. Can't go wrong. Funniest part...I got mine for 600 dollars brand new from a guy who said it wouldn't eject shells right..... 5 seconds at my buddies gun shop and the ejector spring was stretched a little and.....hahahaha all the way to the bank

Jon

haha thats gold, good pick up. yea the 204 sounds like a sweet round.
i do want to come over to the states, you guys have all the good stuff, we (in south australia) arent even allowed 338 lapua's anymore!!!!!

Its kind of an odd round but the 243 WSSM is a pretty flat shooter. Also Any particular reason that you want a 10 twist instead of something a tad bit faster in 243?

You couldn't go wrong with a .204, .223, or .22-250. For what you are using it for (ie hunting and not extensive target shooting) I would not worry about the so called barrel burning of the .204. How many people who use their hunting rifle are even close to 4000 rounds? If you shoot it for 5 years and notice some decrease in accuracy remember you are shooting fox with it, not 1MOA dots.

I use a Remington 700 BDL chambered in .22-250. Great for praire dogs but it is a PITA to swing on a running dog due to heavy barrel. I zero my dog gun for 200 yrds and call it good.

You will be one in one hundred if you get a 243 that will shoot 55's under 1 moa.
The 22-250 with 45 grain winchester white box is a 4000 fps on less powder, less
recoil. Still takes a brake to watch your hits though. I shoot both and the 1:10 243
doesn't shine until I hit 75 grain bullets. I get 3425 out of the hornady hp spire #2420's. They are a flat base and a perfect bullet for sub 400 yard shooting. Pretty
cheap too. I'm not familiar with the .204's but a .224 will hammer any small game
at 300. A lot of guys shoot antelope up here with 22-250's without a problem.

yea i agree with the "1 in a hundred for 55gr 243"
i have tried it before an shoots like crap.

the 204 and 223 are the most appealing at the moment, the 204 would be great because it seems to be the master of flat shooting for varmints, although hesident because of 'barrel life' stories as i will be shooting around a thousand rounds a year. also doesnt go well in the wind.
223 is a great choice, an later on if i start reloading i can change it to a 223AI for a bit better performance.

what are some good spot lighting scopes (50 or 56mm objectives)out there in the medium to high quality range? i wouldnt want to spend anymore than $2000 (2000 is what a nightforce scope cost in australia)

No praire dogs down here mate. Rabbits, Foxes and Pigs are the mainstay of pest-control shooters.

Also, Joycey,when were there any calibre restrictions?

~~~~~

Edit. We also shoot alot of Roos.

You need to reload to take advantage of whats available.

If you want flat, try 75Vmax out of a 6mmAI. With 14 twist Richard Franklin quotes 3800fps.

Thats got to have very little drop out to 300. Quick look at JBM suggests 100m zero, 2.5MOA to 300m.

Remoah

As far as I know it is not prohibited to own a 338 in SA , but they will not issue you with a permit to acquire .

I heard about it a wile ago the firearm's licensing had come out and said wile there is no restriction on cal's for civilians , we don't think you should be able to have certain cal's so we wont issue you a permit .

And QLD is going the same way I was trying to get a 408 they will not issue me with a PTA , but get this I can get a 375 ?

Makes me think it is getting just about time to leave Au .

Sorry for the hijack back on topic .

I agree with .223 or 22-250, too bad you don't handload tho. 75 gr Amax is great and cheap!

I keep hearing 50gr Vmax and 60 gr Vmax, but what about the new 53 gr Vmax? Higher BC / fast...

My vote is for the 22-250. You get the huge selection of bullets in .22 cal and better performance than .223, less recoil than .243.

But I am just partial to the round. To be fair, I'd say start looking for rifles and whatever caliber you find a deal on, get it. You'll be happy with all the calibers mentioned. Just use a ballistic calculator to find the best zero range for your needs. I'd guess around the 250 mark if you want to shoot the occasional 300. All the cartridges mentioned will be within 2 inches or so of your POA with a balanced zero. Pretty forgiving for the quick shots, easy to adjust for if you have a second or too.

I had my 243 shooting the 50 grain bullets right at 1MOA around 4k fps. But recoil was an issue when trying to spot shots. I also have a .204 ruger. They are amazing. With the 40vmax and varget, the velocity is good and the accuracy is astounding. Plus the ballistics are quite amazing for such a small bullet. I think they are comparable to the 22-250 shooting 55 grain bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to go flatter with a .308; there's the 110gr V-Max and the new 135SMK. Just don't expect them to reach out like a 175. </div></div>

Do the 110gr bullets wear out your barrel quick though

Perhaps you want also to look at 17 Remington and 17 Remington Fireball. For both is factory ammunition from Remington available.
Otherwise the 6.5x68 is also a very flat shooting round which is used to hunt in the mountains an almost no holdover is needed for 300m shots. But it is a barrel burner and only very few factory loads are available.

Don't know if they will; mainly because I no longer use the .308.

The closest approximation I've done serious accuracy load development work with is the .260 with 140gr and 95gr bullets. The 140's get run at near max loads, the 95's at published minimum. I honestly think the lightweight bullets are giving the barrel a break. But that's more a hunch than anything like a SWAG.

Greg