• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fluting a bolt?

Re: Fluting a bolt?

Its just a looks thing mostly, if the rifle isnt going to be primarily a bench gun then I wouldn't suggest getting the bolt fluted, as it allows buildup inside the flutes and can cause problems, but it does look so badass.

I have to disagree on the whole looks thing. Bolt fluting actually serves a very ligit purpose especially in custom actions. Custom actions but not only custom actions run at such tight tolerances that theres got to be somewhere that dirt and dust can hang out and the flutes serve just that purpose allowing dirt to go into the flutes rather than being trapped between the internal bore and the bolt body which could score and wear the two surfaces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to disagree on the whole looks thing. Bolt fluting actually serves a very ligit purpose especially in custom actions. Custom actions but not only custom actions run at such tight tolerances that theres got to be somewhere that dirt and dust can hang out and the flutes serve just that purpose allowing dirt to go into the flutes rather than being trapped between the internal bore and the bolt body which could score and wear the two surfaces. </div></div>

if there is a tight tolerance, how is dirt going to get into it in the first place? put shelf like flutes in the bolt, now you have all sorts of surface area for dirt to accumulate and then fall into the action that would have otherwise just fallen off.

in my honest opinion, flutes have more potential for creating an action lockup than they do preventing one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to disagree on the whole looks thing. Bolt fluting actually serves a very ligit purpose especially in custom actions. Custom actions but not only custom actions run at such tight tolerances that theres got to be somewhere that dirt and dust can hang out and the flutes serve just that purpose allowing dirt to go into the flutes rather than being trapped between the internal bore and the bolt body which could score and wear the two surfaces. </div></div>

if there is a tight tolerance, how is dirt going to get into it in the first place? put shelf like flutes in the bolt, now you have all sorts of surface area for dirt to accumulate and then fall into the action that would have otherwise just fallen off.

in my honest opinion, flutes have more potential for creating an action lockup than they do preventing one. </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2382509#Post2382509
grin.gif