FN 509 Compact Tactical, experiences?

It’s been my CCW since they came on the market. No issues at all over a couple thousand, maybe 2500 rounds. The trigger sucked for the first 300 rounds or so but it’s smoothed out nicely from the gritty mess it was. Magazines are a little pricey, but there are a ton of options and they are easy to find, I carry most often with the 12 or 15 round magazines and carry an extra 17 round on my belt. I run mine suppressed and unsuppressed and it cycles 124gr. and 147gr. HST’s fine, I need to swap springs for almost anything 115gr. when suppressed. Overall, it’s a great pistol and I’d buy another if I needed to.

438C5AD4-61A9-4878-AB18-D0A560B2C068.jpeg

Reactions: buggz
Its a great gun. Its a little bigger than I wanted to carry appendix so I don't carry as much as my G43. I'd love to trade it for the mid or full-size so I can get my whole hand on the grip without the mag since its a truck gun or a hip gun more than a CC these days. Dont think I've ever had it jam with any ammo Ive put through it, so its dependable for sure.

Not quite sure what to say about it that can't be found on the internet. If you like the ergo and features of its full-size brother, then you'll probably like the "compact" version, although be aware that it's not at all a small gun. I normally carry a G48 this time of year, but decided to throw on the 509C under a T-shirt for a quick family trip to the ice cream shop and immediately remembered that this is a chunky monkey (especially with the 15-round mag).

Honestly, it really comes down to convincing yourself that this is a better option than a Glock 19. It has a variety of nice features - good factory sights, easy optics mounting, ambi controls, threaded barrel, interchangeable backstraps, etc. But the magazines are expensive and occasionally hard to acquire (same goes for any other factory parts), the trigger isn't great compared to a Gen5 Glock, and once again it's kinda big.

I did see that there is now a tactical version of the 509 Midsize:

If you intended to carry full-time with the 15-round mag (as opposed to using the shorter 10-/12-round options), this might be closer to the ideal compromise.

I love mine. I love my 502 just as much. I will go out and shoot gophers with it and the practice you get is phenomenal. Tiny targets, often moving. My hit ratio is usually terrible, but even if you miss your accuracy on larger targets is probably pretty good.