Form 1 kits

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    Ok, getting into building my own cans. When I go to some of these websites they offer drill jigs. Then another owner told me that they're not supposed to sell those. So, what do I use to keep my drill bits centered? And if those sites are operating outside the law, do THEY get in trouble for selling them, or do I get in trouble with them for buying one?

there is nothing wrong with buying drills and jigging...they are tools....

hell, there is nothing wrong with buying "solvent traps"....they are not suppressors.

you have the potential of running into issues buying them both together...as the feds love to use "constructive intent" for people that havent actually broken the law....but "might"

however, if you have a completed Form 1, you can buy whatever you want without any issues.

a lot of places, like QuietBore, require you to have a completed Form 1 before they ship your "solvent trap"

i would have a completed form 1, then buy from a legit website, and shouldnt have any issues.

Reactions: camocorvette
    there is nothing wrong with buying drills and jigging...they are tools....

hell, there is nothing wrong with buying "solvent traps"....they are not suppressors.

you have the potential of running into issues buying them both together...as the feds love to use "constructive intent" for people that havent actually broken the law....but "might"

however, if you have a completed Form 1, you can buy whatever you want without any issues.

a lot of places, like QuietBore, require you to have a completed Form 1 before they ship your "solvent trap"

i would have a completed form 1, then buy from a legit website, and shouldnt have any issues.

So I'm guessing unlike the other method of acquisitions, you don't need a serial number BEFORE filing the form, correct?

I would recommend QuellTech for drilling fixtures. You can purchase the components such as end caps tubes and cups but they cannot be modified legally until your form 1 has been approved. Quietbore will typically send you the kit prior to approval, they just want to make sure you sent in the paperwork, plus they engrave the tube for you.
    I would highly recommend checking out Silencer Student on pateron, some of his older videos are on youtube this is a very good learning source.

Reactions: Basic user
    The consensus these days seems to be that the safe route is to file your form 1 before you buy any "Kits" and if you are really the cautious type, wait until it comes back before you make the purchase.

Again that's not what you have to legally do, it's just an idea a lot of folks do in order to make sure there is no room for "interpretation" if the Ruling Party decides they want to silence you for some reason.

Gotcha. So I pull a number out of my backside, throw it on the Form 1, get approved, show the proof to one of these online retailers and bam, they'll ship it all to me. Sounds good.

Though this woman on Solventtrapsdirect said that the ATF says specifically she can not sell jigs on her website as it's too close to 'intent' for the retailer. So then I ask her ok, if it's illegal for the site to sell the jigs with the other pieces, do just THEY get in trouble with the ATF or do we purchasers get in trouble as well and she said she can't even talk about it because the ATF said she couldn't.

Gotcha. So I pull a number out of my backside, throw it on the Form 1, get approved, show the proof to one of these online retailers and bam, they'll ship it all to me. Sounds good.

Though this woman on Solventtrapsdirect said that the ATF says specifically she can not sell jigs on her website as it's too close to 'intent' for the retailer. So then I ask her ok, if it's illegal for the site to sell the jigs with the other pieces, do just THEY get in trouble with the ATF or do we purchasers get in trouble as well and she said she can't even talk about it because the ATF said she couldn't.
    I personally have not purchased from that company. The best advice i can give you is check out silencer student, he has more information about everything form 1 building that you can imagine. It was very beneficial for myself.

theres your problem....stop listening to women...

she didnt know what she was talking about and decided to make shit up instead.

Lol will do. No women from here on out. Ok next question. Went to all those sites and couldn't find the answer to my main question. I even called a suppressor shop here in my state and they wouldn't even TALK about it, because he said that's helping me with manufacturing and that's illegal... WOW does the ATF have people scared SHITLESS in their own homes lol.
    How long do I have AFTER I get my tax stamp to buy a kit/parts? Can I take my time and search for parts or does the purchasing window close in a certain amount of time... Anyone?

From my understanding you don't have a window after approval, just understand your supressor has to be to the specifications as stated on the atf from 1 documents (caliber,length and serial number).

Lol will do. No women from here on out. Ok next question. Went to all those sites and couldn't find the answer to my main question. I even called a suppressor shop here in my state and they wouldn't even TALK about it, because he said that's helping me with manufacturing and that's illegal... WOW does the ATF have people scared SHITLESS in their own homes lol.
    How long do I have AFTER I get my tax stamp to buy a kit/parts? Can I take my time and search for parts or does the purchasing window close in a certain amount of time... Anyone?

once you have your tax stamp, you can buy whatever you want, because as far as the ATF is concerned, you have your suppressor in your possession the second they send you your stamp.

But to actually physically obtain the parts, you can take an hour, or several days, or a month.

The ATF doesn't have a mandated amount of time....so yes, you can take your time and shop around

From my understanding you don't have a window after approval, just understand your supressor has to be to the specifications as stated on the atf from 1 documents (caliber,length and serial number).
    Soooo what do I do if I'm buying a kit that requires proof of the already approved form 1? Do I pick out the kit, he holds it, gives me the caliber and length, I put that on my form then submit it... then show him the proof a month later then he releases the kit to me?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I've no idea which kit to buy yet as I dont want to have to buy each piece and jig all from different websites and have to pay three separate shipping charges for a crap suppressor lol. I'm searching for places that sell ALLLLL of it on one site, but the sites that have it all there never ever have all the required pieces in stock at the same time. So if I can just get a form 1 stamp to purchase, I can now search through all these sites until I either find what I need or sit on a "back in stock" list till they all show up so I can then show them the form and purchase. It seems like all these scared websites that wanna see your approved form are limiting my purchase options in an already limited market. If I can just get this stamp in my hand then I can search around and have more options it seems.

Soooo what do I do if I'm buying a kit that requires proof of the already approved form 1? Do I pick out the kit, he holds it, gives me the caliber and length, I put that on my form then submit it... then show him the proof a month later then he releases the kit to me?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I've no idea which kit to buy yet as I dont want to have to buy each piece and jig all from different websites and have to pay three separate shipping charges for a crap suppressor lol. I'm searching for places that sell ALLLLL of it on one site, but the sites that have it all there never ever have all the required pieces in stock at the same time. So if I can just get a form 1 stamp to purchase, I can now search through all these sites until I either find what I need or sit on a "back in stock" list till they all show up so I can then show them the form and purchase. It seems like all these scared websites that wanna see your approved form are limiting my purchase options in an already limited market. If I can just get this stamp in my hand then I can search around and have more options it seems.
    Find the kit you wish to purchase, obtain the specs, put that on your form 1 and file it.

I'm pretty sure most places will allow you to purchase the kit and hold it for you

Once your form 1 comes back, send that to the retailer and they will ship you your kit.

You can email the company and tell them that you are planning on obtaining a form 1, and if they have an ETA for when backordered parts will be back in stock

Be prepared to cuss, a LOT, when dealing with the ATF website. I swear it's designed to crash randomly, and to be super frustrating to use to keep people from going through the process. :LOL:

Beyond that, as others have mentioned, once you have your stamp in hand, be prepared to wait to find all the stuff you need for completion. I had a can get lost in shipping last year, and it took a while to get all the bits to replace it.

Thats the truth or you can be like my buddy who randomly got stuck in ATF purgatory ( and still there 60days and counting) whhile my average approval was less than 30 days.
    That would be me. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. That's ok! At least these little form 1 cans arent 900 dollars and the wait isn't ten months! :)

Reactions: warnera1102
    At least these little form 1 cans arent 900 dollars and the wait isn't ten months! :)
    That all depends on materials used, and whether or not you have a professional re-core done. There is usually no savings in a form 1 if you use high end materials, and have it professionaly done (I don't have the proper equipment to do it truly right) you just save time.

That all depends on materials used, and whether or not you have a professional re-core done. There is usually no savings in a form 1 if you use high end materials, you just save time.
    That can be debate able depending on the tools you already have. My last 8" can problably ran around $650 in parts, thats 17-4 and titanium, now it did take time as the baffles came from 2 different companies.

That can be debate able depending on the tools you already have. My last 8" can problably ran around $650 in parts, thats 17-4 and titanium, now it did take time as the baffles came from 2 different companies.
    That's exactly my point. I do not own the tools to get things done to the level of quality and precision that I want for the cost invested, so I have a pro do it once I drill the end cap and create a suppressor. Cheap drill presses have so much run out they're almost useless IMHO.

That the benifit of using a drill fixture with a hardened drill bushing .Also you are adding in a tolerance as the hole is not 0.308" for a 30 cal can, typically is 0.375".

That the benifit of using a drill fixture with a hardened drill bushing .Also you are adding in a tolerance as the hole is not 0.308" for a 30 cal can, typically is 0.375".
    Yep, I'm well aware of all of that. But, I'd still rather pay someone else to do the internals professionally as I know they are exact, and all the same that way. But, to each their own.

I personally have not purchased from that company. The best advice i can give you is check out silencer student, he has more information about everything form 1 building that you can imagine. It was very beneficial for myself.
    Does anyone know what happened to the form 1 builder site that silencer student was sharing his information on for so long? Now says removed by pro board 25a.

Thats the truth or you can be like my buddy who randomly got stuck in ATF purgatory ( and still there 60days and counting) whhile my average approval was less than 30 days.
    Mine took 11 months! Efile

I would advise getting the stamp and then getting your kit. I would also advise just getting someone to drill it on a lathe for you. Once you have your stamp, any machine shop or anyone with a metal lathe can drill it and it will be way better.

ArmoryDen.com has some decent kits as do several others.

But any insight why that website was removed?
    Because Pro Boards T&C's say they can take any site down that they host because they want to.
    New board is Form1Suppressors.net. Most of the old gang is there.
    Having built 6 Form 1 cans myself, here's some advice for you - Skip QB, Solventraps direct, and the others you mentioned. If you want a kit, check out White Trash Tactical. However, with a little more effort, you can build your own design using cones from Dino Precision and (556 only) Shrimp Gang something something I can't remember. None of my cans were kits and except for the first couple, they're ridiculously quiet.

I would also advise just getting someone to drill it on a lathe for you. Once you have your stamp, any machine shop or anyone with a metal lathe can drill it and it will be way better.
    Be careful with that. If someone else does the machining, you have to be present while it's done. Otherwise, it's someone else building your can. Unless that person with the lathe is an SOT.

Be careful with that. If someone else does the machining, you have to be present while it's done. Otherwise, it's someone else building your can. Unless that person with the lathe is an SOT.
    Correct. It's just drilling it I'm talking about. It doesn't take that long. Took maybe an hour or so to do 8 baffles and end cap for me on a lathe and we indicated each one.

Correct. It's just drilling it I'm talking about. It doesn't take that long. Took maybe an hour or so to do 8 baffles and end cap for me on a lathe and we indicated each one.
    Fair point. Clipping can be done by anyone, once the cones are bored. Lucky to have a lathe...I did all of mine either on jigs or a drill press with a self-centering chuck on an xy table.

Fair point. Clipping can be done by anyone, once the cones are bored. Lucky to have a lathe...I did all of mine either on jigs or a drill press with a self-centering chuck on an xy table.
    Well, this one is titanium and I tried but was worried I wouldn't get it concentric with so many baffles and the way they all screw together. It's not baffles that slip into a tube. Each baffle is threaded so you can make it as long or as short as you want

As someone who is skilled at cobbling things together from stuff laying around, that whole “constructive intent” is scary.

The entire idea of constructive intent is ridiculous.

I have a rifle and I have a hacksaw.
    Does that make constructive intent for a SBR?

I have a boat, some fishing rods and lures.
    I could keep fish that are on the no keep list, or too many of certain species.

Does that make for intent?

I have a truck that can exceed the speed limit...

I have a vehicle and I have more than enough alcohol to get intoxicated...

You could apply anything to anything and come up with some version of intent.

Does anyone know what happened to the form 1 builder site that silencer student was sharing his information on for so long? Now says removed by pro board 25a.
    Form1.org

ProBoards sucks

SS has a YT channel, and a Patreon as well. Someone else dropped the other board already