• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Forming 6x47L brass?

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
Well, I got a new set of Forster 6x47L dies today, so I thought I'd tinker around with forming some brass for the rifle that'll be ready in a month or so.

I set the die to touch the shell holder and lubed a 6.5x47 case inside and out and ran it into the die. It came out with a partially sized neck and a collapsed shoulder. I tried another case with the same result.
Then I removed the decapper/sizing stem and ran another piece of lubed brass through the die. It came out looking like (I think) it should look.
I'm thinking that I need to size the new brass right up to the shoulder/neck junction and load it up and shoot it so I'll have a 6x47 case fire formed to my chamber.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Forming 6x47L brass?

It sounds like the expander ball was up to high in the neck when the die was trying to size the neck. I would run the die as you are and add a piece of gear. Get a neck turning expander mandrel/die it will be .002 under 243 and will give consistant neck tension.

Thanks Rthur.
Will I need to turn the necks after using the mandrel? I'd rather not go that route if it can be avoided.

My brother has a gun in that caliber and the exact same dies you have; however, we experienced no such issued while sizing. I'm thinking that something must be miss adjusted; not to tell you what to do, but I would try re-setting up the die following the directions that came with the sizing die.

We were pretty surprised by how easy it actually went; so, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't need to turn necks, just for sizing anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 725franky</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm thinking that something must be miss adjusted; not to tell you what to do, but I would try re-setting up the die following the directions that came with the sizing die.
</div></div>

Yep, you got it!
I took the new die apart to clean it, and about that time we had a power outage. I put it back together using a little dinky fluorescent lantern for light. The expander ball ended up way too high in the die, so the neck of the case was trying to squeeze between the ball and the die at the same time.

Thanks!