• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Full review of Bushnell HDMR with the G2 reticle

762frmafr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
<span style="font-weight: bold">Technical Specifications:</span>

Tube Diameter: 34mm
Overall Length: 13”
Adjustment Click Value: 1/10 MIL
Adjustment Type: Click
Exposed Turrets: Yes with locking Turrets
Finger Adjustable Turrets: Yes
Turrets Resettable to Zero: Yes
Zero Stop: No
Fast Focus Eyepiece: Yes
Lens Coating: Fully multi-coated
Power Variability: Variable
Min power: 3.5
Max power: 21x
Objective Bell Diameter: 50mm
Reticle: G2
Illuminated Reticle: No
Reticle Focal Plane Location: 1st
Parallax Adjustment: Yes 50yds to infinity
Max Internal Adjustment:
Windage: 26 MIL (89 MOA)
Elevation: 26 MIL (89 MOA)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Physical Appearance of the scope: </span>

The scope looks beefy with its 34mm main tube and its short objective bell. Short and compact like a bulldog is how I would describe it. The Locking turrets are bigger in size than normal turrets with easily seen markings. The side parallax adjustment is easily seen and grasped. As stated, an overall beefy and well built appearance.

<span style="font-weight: bold">G2 Reticle:</span>

• At first glance, the reticle looks very well put together, lots of information without being too cluttered.
• The reticle gets thinner in the center of the cross hairs which makes quartering a 1” dot at 100 yards very easy.
• I like the fact that there are 10mils of hold over and 6 mils of hold under
• I like that there are multiple holdovers for windage and elevation. The fact that there are hash marks at 1/2mil and 1 mil simplifies and speeds up holdovers. Not too confusing and as accurate as is needed with holdovers.
• The reticle is pretty much perfect for the competition shooter. UKD/Ranging stages will be a breeze with the 1/10th mil hash marks. How much finer can you ask for?
• The fact that the G2 is not illuminated means nothing to me because I have illuminated scopes and never turn them on.
• The more I used the G2 reticle the more I like it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Controls (Windage, Elevation, and Parallax)</span>

• The elevation and windage adjustments are nice. Click engagement is very positive. My only complaint is that they are not as audible as I would like. The locking turrets are some of the best features I have seen in a scope yet. They lock down positively and come up smoothly. They prevent the turrets from hanging up on clothing or limbs when slung and turning up or down. They also allow the turret to be reset without the hassle of the turrets turning while tightening them back down.
• I like the size of the turrets. While a lot bigger than other scopes, they are not cumbersome or in the way, and they facilitate ease of reading where in your adjustment you are.
• Having 5 mils per revolution is not a drawback to me. The turret must be turned either way so whats the difference if you turn it 5 or 10?. The only feature I would add would be a zero stop as I am accustomed to using them and in a match it is one less thing to worry about.
• Parallax adjustment is big enough to be seen but not be in the way. The knurled knob provides for a great grip and the numbers are easy to read.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Zeroing the Optic:</span>

Zeroing the scope was pretty straight forward. After mounting the scope and doing a quick bore sight, the scope was zeroed in a flash. I shot a three shot group to start with, and I then took a reading off of the reticle. After making the necessary adjustment to the turrets, a large flat blade screwdriver is used to loosen the reset screw. The great part about this is that you perform this operation with the turrets in the locked position. This means that you do not have to worry about the adjustments moving. After the screw is loosened, the cap is removed, set back to zero, and the screw re-tightened. In my opinion the locking turrets are one of the top features on this scope.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Track Testing:</span>

I used a GA Precision GAP-10 in 308 to test this scope. This rifle will put most bolt guns to shame as far as accuracy is concerned. I also chose this rifle because of the abrupt recoil impulse. I figured it would just be one more reliability test for the scope. I ran a box test to make sure that what was dialed in to the adjustments was being accurately applied. I fired one shot at most adjustments and 2 shots at some. The target is a box with 1” dots at each mil and hash marks at 1/2mil. It was set at 100 yards. At this distance the round should land right at each dot per 1.0 mil come up. Point of Aim was the 1” red dot throughout the test. I dialed up in 1 mil increments until I got to 13 mils of elevation. I then started to dial in right windage. I did this until I dialed in 13 mils of right windage. I then started to dial the scope back down. I dialed back down until I hit dirt with one of the rounds. I then returned to zero with the adjustments and shot at a 2” dot. The scope returned to zero perfectly. Once I confirmed my zero, I dialed up 13 mils again. I then started to dial left wind. I dialed 1 mil and shot until I got to 13 mils of left wind. I then started to dial down and shoot. I dialed down until I hit dirt again. After hitting dirt for the second time, I dialed the turrets back to zero and shot another zero target. The scope returned to zero once again with no problems. As you can see in the picture below, everything tracked great. Especially well for a scope in this price range. However, I did notice that when the adjustments were at their max, the reticle started to jam a little with right windage. I feel this is to be expected, but I just wanted to test this scope to its limits. But honestly if you are dialing 13 mils of elevation and 13 mils of windage on one shot, you have bigger problems than the reticle jamming.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Reticle testing:</span>

For the reticle test I made another grid. It is basically an inverted “Christmas tree”. Again “POA” is the dot on the bottom. This time we are using the holdovers in the scope. The impacts should line up with the corresponding dots. As you can see in the picture everything lined up fairly well. They would all be hits in a competition, and they are damn accurate as far as holdovers go.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Holding Zero Testing:</span>

For this test I threw the rifle in the back seat if my pickup truck for a week. It bounced around back there with no case on it or anything. It was dropped a time or two as well. I took it out prior to the reticle test and shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards and it was right on the money. Overall the scope seems pretty durable.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Quality of the glass:</span>

In my opinion the glass on the HDMR is up there with the best of them. One thing I did notice during the reticle test was that when I used the 10mil holdovers at the bottom of the reticle, there was a little distortion. I would say that this is to be expected because it is at the edge of the lens. Other than that, this thing is crystal clear. The eye box and eye relief are extremely forgiving on this scope. In fact, I just got through mounting it on the rifle and my girlfriend looked through it and said “Wow, this is the first scope I have ever looked through and not had problems seeing the whole field of view.” So all in all, the glass is on par with the big boys on this one.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Price point and value:</span>

With a nearly $1500 retail price tag a MAP of $1350 and a Group Buy price of $1250, I think this scope is an excellent value. With the reliability it has demonstrated in this test and the features it has, it out performs most every scope in that price range and some in the higher price range. Some might argue that the Bushnell needs to be proven. I would agree with this statement to a point. This scope has a time tested pedigree dating back to the fixed 10 power Navy SEAL Bausch & Lomb scopes. This new scope is definitely not your grandpappy’s Banner. It is a true competitor in the tactical market and I believe they are here to stay.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Conclusion:</span>

I think the HDMR with the G2 reticle is a solid option for the serious long range shooter as well as the competitor. The reticle alone is definitely geared toward the serious competitor and with a little more time in the field I am quite sure this scope will prove itself as a serious competition scope. For a person wanting to get in to competitions this scope offers many features only seen in scopes costing double the price. I plan to run this scope in competition as well I have 2 on order from the Group Buy. I think Bushnell has jumped in to the tactical market with both feet and they are dedicated to taking a piece of the market. I also feel that this scope will do just that for them, and they will back it 100% as far as making needed updates and taking care of any issues if they arise. The fact that the reticle was designed by competitors for competitors is only a bonus in my book and it shows Bushnell’s willingness to listen to the people that use their products. So if you ask would I buy this scope, the answer is yes.

I would like to thank George at GA Precision for giving me the opportunity to test and evaluate this scope. As well I would like to thank Bushnell for listening to its customers and Copper Creek Cartridge Company for providing all of the ammunition used in the testing of this scope.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Test Equipment:</span>

GA Precision GAP-10 in 308 18” barrel
Copper Creek Cartridge Co. 308 Gas Gun ammo
175gr. SMK @ 2587FPS

The Video Results, Sorry if it's a bit long, but we didnt want to miss anything...
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4YqV8Hs3Pf4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4YqV8Hs3Pf4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Baseline Zero with Nightforce F1
DSC_2360.jpg

Zero with Bushnell HDMR
DSC_2402.jpg

Return to Zero After Box Testing and Cranking Knobs
DSC_2403.jpg

Not for the Weak of Heart...
DSC_2421.jpg

Box Test Target
DSC_2377.jpg

Start of Box Test
DSC_2405.jpg

Top Of Box Test
DSC_2401.jpg

Left Side of Box Test
DSC_2397.jpg

Right Side Of Box Test
DSC_2390.jpg

Before the Reticle Tracking Test
DSC_2426.jpg

After the Reticle Tracking Test
url]

Re: Full review of Bushnell HDMR with the G2 reticle

So the inverted tree is a reticle tracking test?

Did you do any turret tracking testing besides the return to zero?

Ok, I think I figured out the turret test, you just didn't use dots for that one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the inverted tree is a reticle tracking test?

Did you do any turret tracking testing besides the return to zero? </div></div>

Did a complete box test on the full 8'x8' piece...it's in the video....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the inverted tree is a reticle tracking test?

Did you do any turret tracking testing besides the return to zero?

Ok, I think I figured out the turret test, you just didn't use dots for that one?</div></div>

Jeez Jason watch the video, the Insane 8x8 board with dots all the way arround was all turret clicks

Asked this in the H59 post, but probably should have asked here. The G2 appears that it would give the advantages of the Horus grid system without some of the clutter. What benefits would the H59 have over the G2? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing as I do not have any experience with a Horus.

Steve, very well done my friend. I think you covered all of the necessities very well.

Box test target is the shizzz bro!!

Steve, Great review in fact that's one of the more thorough and complete reviews I have seen. Well done.

Well done George and Bushnell, it looks like a winning combination. I am looking forward to getting mine in from the group buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kujo929</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Asked this in the H59 post, but probably should have asked here. The G2 appears that it would give the advantages of the Horus grid system without some of the clutter. What benefits would the H59 have over the G2? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing as I do not have any experience with a Horus. </div></div>

Not a lot, I really like what George has done adding the .1 mills for ranging. If you find yourself needing rapid engagements on targets with a 12" definition at multiple ranges, the 59 brings Hoddnets Accuracy system to the table. You can flat knock down some crap on a UKD range fast using this system. The average shooter would be as well off with either,unless you are just anti Horus.

Jon, Thanks for the insight. I'll probably go ahead with the G2 then. Especially with the deal going on the groupbuy right now.

Nice review and glad i got in on 1. Can you comment on the glass, eyebox ect. from your experiance with any of the higher end scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice review and glad i got in on 1. Can you comment on the glass, eyebox ect. from your experiance with any of the higher end scopes. </div></div>

A top guy from a HIGH end scope distributorship put it best I think. His words after looking through the HDMR were "The only thing better than this is my Hensoldt."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not a lot, I really like what George has done adding the .1 mills for ranging. If you find yourself needing rapid engagements on targets with a 12" definition at multiple ranges, the 59 brings <span style="font-weight: bold">Hoddnets Accuracy system</span> to the table. You can flat knock down some crap on a UKD range fast using this system. The average shooter would be as well off with either,unless you are just anti Horus. </div></div>

Hoddnets Accuracy system: Can you provide more information on this? Did a search but no joy.

I think this is for sure going to make a nice addition. That thing looks like a little tank sitting on the AR in the video. I am kinda glad to see it is not ulluminated. I really do not ever use it plus it would just add to a higher cost and a little more weight. Out of curiosity, do they offer this scope in a mil-dot platform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this is for sure going to make a nice addition. That thing looks like a little tank sitting on the AR in the video. I am kinda glad to see it is not ulluminated. I really do not ever use it plus it would just add to a higher cost and a little more weight. Out of curiosity, do they offer this scope in a mil-dot platform?</div></div>

From what I've read, this scope comes with the H58, H59, TreMor 2, and GAP G2 reticles. I haven't seen a mildot associated with this scope in all my searches.

Excellent review, thanks for taking the time to do it. I have one of these on order for the group buy and after seeing this I really feel like I make the right choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not a lot, I really like what George has done adding the .1 mills for ranging. If you find yourself needing rapid engagements on targets with a 12" definition at multiple ranges, the 59 brings <span style="font-weight: bold">Hoddnets Accuracy system</span> to the table. You can flat knock down some crap on a UKD range fast using this system. The average shooter would be as well off with either,unless you are just anti Horus. </div></div>

Hoddnets Accuracy system: Can you provide more information on this? Did a search but no joy. </div></div>

It's called the Accuracy 1st Speed Shooting formula and it basically allows you to range UKD targets out to 600 meters and engage them faster than it took you to read this sentence.

This post explains it pretty well : Hodnett's explanation

You could do it with the George's reticle too (or any reticle that subtends in .1 mils) but the H59 makes it wicked fast.

Nice job.

However, your backstop concerns me. How many waterfowl were harmed in the production lol?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Volucris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice job.

However, your backstop concerns me. How many waterfowl were harmed in the production lol? </div></div>

None that day. But we shot them when needed for dinner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a Larue SPR-S Mount (LT-158, http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=42) potentially be a good mount for one of these (adequate amount of eye relief on an AR, etc.)? </div></div>

I'm using an LT-104 with an HDMR/H59 on a LaRue OBR. It is a similar mount to the LT-158 but doesn't have the built in tilt. LaRue packages the LT-104 with the HDMR. Works fine for me.

Do you know if they have plans on adding zero stop to these scopes soon? I get the whole concept that these recticles are designed for holding over more then dialing, but I still think zero stop would be a nice addition for the times when you do decide to dial.

Nice write up!

6.5 Grendel,who is involved with the design of the HDMR mentioned in another thread that they were working on some nice features for the next generation. "Possibly" 10 mil knobs,illume,ZS in 2013.

I own three HDMR/H-59's now. I used one of them for the first time in a local match and got a W. I'm super impressed with them as is but am looking forward to the new Gen.

I have been behind one and can say the eye relief is amazing!
not picky at all about placement of your head. Sorry to answer the question at least 4" as tested on George's .243

I plan on mounting one on a GAP built M24 any suggestions on a base and rings? I'm thinking Seekins 34mm Mediums for rings. The rifle already has a M24 mil spec rail and I'm pretty sure there is no cant to it. Generally what would be my max range with this scope on a 0 moa rail?
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slkzic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I plan on mounting one on a GAP built M24 any suggestions on a base and rings? I'm thinking Seekins 34mm Mediums for rings. The rifle already has a M24 mil spec rail and I'm pretty sure there is no cant to it. Generally what would be my max range with this scope on a 0 moa rail?
Thanks. </div></div>

Since I have seen you ask in 2 different spots, I will answer.

Easy answer: Badger 20 MOA base and med rings will make you happy as a can be. Why get a 0 MOA base when you can get 20 MOA more for free (same price)? You will never regret having too much elevation, and with the HDMR, you will have plenty of elevation to reach anywhere. I still have not heard one good reason to not get an elevated base. After a 20 MOA base, you should have approx 15 - 20 mils up left over and 5- 10 mils wasted down elev.

Regards,
DT