• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

I am not arguing for anthropogenic climate change.

I am pointing out that the climate has been both warmer (higher sea levels) and colder (lower sea levels) than it is today. And, I am pointing out that the analogy is deceptive.

It is true that (due to the lower density of ice relative to liquid water) that melting sea ice will not change the sea level. But, most of earths frozen water is not free floating; it is sitting on top of land, above sea level. When this ice melts (or “calves” from an ice sheet into the ocean) it causes the sea level to rise, because it increases the overall water (frozen and liquid) in the sea. This is the issue I take with the cup of ice water analogy. A better analogy would be a cup of water with a cube of ice, sitting next to a giant block of ice whose melt water flows into said cup.
Agreed that is a true assumption.

The entirety of the central US was once a shallow sea at a time there were no humans or ic engines.

Control the sun and perhaps the polar angle of the earth you can control global temperature anything else is political control of people.

Agreed that is a true assumption.

The entirety of the central US was once a shallow sea at a time there were no humans or ic engines.

Control the sun and perhaps the polar angle of the earth you can control global temperature anything else is political control of people.
I’d add in volcanic activity and large asteroid strikes, but otherwise agree.

B29 and Millennium Falcon… View attachment 8237860
The original Star Wars was a WWII genre movie filmed in outer space.

From Darth Vaders helmet, to the blasters, to the ball turret gunning scenes in the Millenium Falcon.

It was a genre that worked - good against ultimate evil with dudes and hot chicks.

Than they ruined it.

Last edited:
The original Star Wars was a WWII genre movie filmed in outer space.

From Darth Vaders helmet, to the blasters, to the ball turret gunning scenes in the Millenium Falcon.

It was a genre that worked good against ultimate evil with dudes and hot chicks.

Than they ruined it.
Also a Western... Sort of in the Seven Samurai genre...

But, yes, Lucas was a huge student of WW2... because, basically, in his youth, the 'memory' of the war and the 'good victory' was everywhere. Plus Black and White Good guys/bad guys Cold War themes he grew up with.

So... yeah! Right on! It's what made them so good.

Sirhr

Reactions: Ichi
If anything we are still living in the ice age and the norm while warmer for the most part was warmer without humans.

The volcanic activity plays a role but the biggest forests and life forms roamed during those active times and thrived.
More than 99.9% of all life that has ever existed on earth is extinct. Only a few examples can be positively attributed to human activity.

What was it that Dr. Ian Malcom said?

IMG_5522.jpeg

Reactions: Ichi
View attachment 8238146
Look at the price on that good good .
You know the good good I'm talking about.

Best Good Good Ever.
Miracle Whip!
Just shopped there tonight.

Working at MB was my first job.

Owner is a fantastic human.

When the patriarch owner passed away the family wanted to sell out to another big chain which would have hurt employees and changed the company dynamic.

He wouldn’t sell his shares and the employees backed his fight against a hostile takeover.

He ended up buying his siblings out for billions with the prospect being he would be unable to meet the loan.

I think he paid the billions off early and expanded the business.

His philosophy is “Pennys” for product sold but sell lots of product.

Also a Western... Sort of in the Seven Samurai genre...

But, yes, Lucas was a huge student of WW2... because, basically, in his youth, the 'memory' of the war and the 'good victory' was everywhere. Plus Black and White Good guys/bad guys Cold War themes he grew up with.

So... yeah! Right on! It's what made them so good.

Sirhr
When Star Wars came out WWII vets were closer to their time in service than I am to my service time now.

Not that I think WWII vets were lining up to watch it.

It was a formula that followed the truths of life. That is why it worked and it would always work.

This new bullshit they want us to accept for entertainment goes against nature.

15k for a roof that big sounds cheap.

Friend a couple of weeks ago roofed his fathers house and I thought he said it was $1000/square and cost him a shitload.

Please comment - did I hear him right?
I don't know how many squares our house is, but we had the roof replaced a couple years ago from a wind storm, insurance paid $20k.

Edit add: one "square" is three packages of asphalt shingles...I think that makes 100 square feet, but I don't remember for sure. We (dad, twin sister, and me) replaced a lot of roofs after a bad hail storm in the late '80s that had baseball size hail, wiped out everything two miles wide by 10 miles long.

Last edited:

Friend a couple of weeks ago roofed his fathers house and I thought he said it was $1000/square and cost him a shitload.

We had to pay cash for a roof job a few years ago. Got a deal from a friend of a friend on labor and bought shingles ourselves, it still cost us pretty close to $15k

What is the average cost of a new roof in Ohio?
Roofing costs in Ohio can vary significantly depending on the size, type of material and complexity of the job. The average cost to tear off and replace a roof in Ohio is between $7,000 and $10,500.Feb 22, 2023