• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

Sadly… not even in a straight line.

Of course, disable the computers in the Camaro and it’s game over.

But an Odyssey Minivan probably beats that fastback in every stat except “cool.” Sad but true!

Sitht
Funny you say that.

Years ago Grass Roots Motorsports did an article that did just that. Only IIRC against an XKE.

The Jag lost every event but one. The article came out in the late 90's IIRC. I was still racing then.

Well a quick internet search and fook me.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
One last on the old vs. new.

I think this video does a very good job at going over it. It is motorcycle related, but you can extend it into cars as well, at least a little bit.

Having just ridden a 1990 BMW Dakar 3000 miles across sub-Arctic Labrador… I totally relate!

The new big Bimmers are incredible. 3x the horsepower. ABS. Air ride. Radios, heaters, trip computers. They go 100 on dirt fully loaded and two up.

But one chip malfunctions and it’s a lawn ornament.

Also all the guys I met on their “new bikes” looked at my old machine dottering along at 65 as reliable as gravity… and said “yeah, That’s a cool bike.” And it will still be running in another 30 years.

Love the new big Dakars. They rent even stupid expensive. But Mine gets me thre and has been 2/3rds around the world so far, so I guess I’ll keep her!

IMG_5687.jpeg

Sirhr

Only when it comes to performance data.

When a real COPO Yenko parks next to a computerized jellybean 2022 SC LT… no one will be looking at the one that runs off an operating system and has “magnetic traction control” whatever the hell that is.

View attachment 8314772

Just ‘sayin!
I've noticed that at a car show/cruise in that the Hellcat owners all park together. People will stop and look over the classics and just walk past the row of Hellcats. I heard a couple owners talking about which brand of chips they had as we walked past. The wife chuckled and said something about bragging about which laptop they are using to tune with.

I've noticed that at a car show/cruise in that the Hellcat owners all park together. People will stop and look over the classics and just walk past the row of Hellcats. I heard a couple owners talking about which brand of chips they had as we walked past. The wife chuckled and said something about bragging about which laptop they are using to tune with.

Yup. But, hey, they are driving 1000 HP cars and most aren't advocating for 15 minute cities, public transport. bike lanes and 37 genders.

I don't care if it has wings, wheels, keels, or a snorkel. If it burns dead dinosaurs (totally organic) they are my kind of people!

Sirhr

Having just ridden a 1990 BMW Dakar 3000 miles across sub-Arctic Labrador… I totally relate!

The new big Bimmers are incredible. 3x the horsepower. ABS. Air ride. Radios, heaters, trip computers. They go 100 on dirt fully loaded and two up.

But one chip malfunctions and it’s a lawn ornament.

Also all the guys I met on their “new bikes” looked at my old machine dottering along at 65 as reliable as gravity… and said “yeah, That’s a cool bike.” And it will still be running in another 30 years.

Love the new big Dakars. They rent even stupid expensive. But Mine gets me thre and has been 2/3rds around the world so far, so I guess I’ll keep her!

View attachment 8314793

Sirhr
Yep, same reason I chose the DRZ back when I was big into supermoto. The Aprilia SXV was already out, and while drop deal sexy and double the HP, they were ticking time bombs. I had friends that had to re-build the motor within 5,000 miles, meanwhile, all I needed in that same amount of mileage was 5 oil changes, and 5 sets of tires, and lots of fun time.

mLYqxM0.jpg

Sadly… not even in a straight line.

Of course, disable the computers in the Camaro and it’s game over.

But an Odyssey Minivan probably beats that fastback in every stat except “cool.” Sad but true!

Sitht
I tell you one think I admire on the classics though...ground clearance. I'd really like a newish Mustang but I must say the low ride height is concerning. Some of the back roads around here (AKA the roads that make me want a Mustang the most) are pretty narrow and passing oncoming puts you tight to few inch drop off into a dirt (or mud) "shoulder".

Sitht
As a retirement present to myself after my second retirement (of three) I gave myself a 2000 Corvette. ‘Only’ 345 horsepower. Fastest I ever had it up to was 130, and it was still accelerating as hard as it was at sixty. Once thought I saw a white vehicle at the end of a long straight (in the early to mid 2000’s our state police vehicles were white). doing over a 100 at the time, which in Louisiana is an automatic jail sentence. Went full on with the brakes. Damn Corvette’s brakes were so strong the downforce so good, that it contorted my face.

Point, that Corvette could eat any 60’s Mustang, Corvette or GTO alive in any area, acceleration cornering, braking, road course times and at the drag strip, run mid 12’s in the quarter mile. (Given they were all running street tires and as delivered, no superstocks or specific drag setups)

EXCEPT. Burnouts. My old 64 Tempest 326 could light up the rears so much it made a 50’s DDT mosquito truck bow with shame. Corvette, the computer would take hold, apply maximum power that those huge rears could hold and take off like a scalded cat. Not a whiff of smoke. I even tried spinning the tires in gravel once. No joy. Love it, but boy was it expensive to maintain.

Drove it to the USGP twice. Felt right at home amongst the Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghini’s that seemed to inhabit the place.

IMG_2632.jpeg

As a retirement present to myself after my second retirement (of three) I gave myself a 2000 Corvette. ‘Only’ 345 horsepower. Fastest I ever had it up to was 130, and it was still accelerating as hard as it was at sixty. Once thought I saw a white vehicle at the end of a long straight (in the early to mid 2000’s our state police vehicles were white). doing over a 100 at the time, which in Louisiana is an automatic jail sentence. Went full on with the brakes. Damn Corvette’s brakes were so strong the downforce so good, that it contorted my face.

Point, that Corvette could eat any 60’s Mustang, Corvette or GTO alive in any area, acceleration cornering, braking, road course times and at the drag strip, run mid 12’s in the quarter mile. (Given they were all running street tires and as delivered, no superstocks or specific drag setups)

EXCEPT. Burnouts. My old 64 Tempest 326 could light up the rears so much it made a 50’s DDT mosquito truck bow with shame. Corvette, the computer would take hold, apply maximum power that those huge rears could hold and take off like a scalded cat. Not a whiff of smoke. I even tried spinning the tires in gravel once. No joy. Love it, but boy was it expensive to maintain.

Drove it to the USGP twice. Felt right at home amongst the Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghini’s that seemed to inhabit the place.

View attachment 8314856
Opposite side of that coin: I have a 2000 Vette, previously had 2 C7 Z06s.

I like my C5, but damn it's slow!! o_O

PYOfPDR.jpg

Opposite side of that coin: I have a 2000 Vette, previously had 2 C7 Z06s.

I like my C5, but damn it's slow!! o_O

PYOfPDR.jpg
I had a C-4 that was al all looks. Red, red leather interior, white top. They lied , grossly overstated horsepower/ torque (220/330) in those years.

My SO's 3.0L in her Mercedes 300CE was listed to have less HP and less torque (100 ft-lbs of torque, weighed) 10% more but was faster than the vette in real life.

My C-5 same colors, was a better driving car with more power but still grossly overstated HP.

The C-6 were better cars , Z-06s has unheard of power, but were bloated down with buzzers and bells. I would have to say a Z-06 ragtop would be a hell of a car to own. Even if it's a phallic symbol.

Last edited:
I had a C-4 that was al all looks. Red, red leather interior, white top. They lied , grossly overstated horsepower/ torque (220/330) in those years.

My SO's 3.0L in her Mercedes 300CE was listed to have less HP and less torque (100 ft-lbs of torque, weighed) 10% more but was faster than the vette in real life.

My C-5 same colors, was a better driving car with more power but still grossly overstated HP.

The C-6 were better cars , Z-06s has unheard of power, but were bloated down with buzzers and bells. I would have to say a Z-06 ragtop would be a hell of a car to own. Even if it's a phallic symbol.
Z06 is an absolute monster! Mine were listed at 650 hp & 650 tq, but read several places they were understated.

This might have been my favorite car. '84 928S with 5MT. Another one that was insanely fast when it came out.

ppwnG54.jpg

P2M4cNW.jpg

Reactions: geek65
One last on the old vs. new.

I think this video does a very good job at going over it. It is motorcycle related, but you can extend it into cars as well, at least a little bit.

I had that exact bike! Same color and everything! Stolen from my apartment complex parking lot in 1988 in North Carolina.

I bought it as temporary transportation for all
Of $350 or so, so I didn’t care much. Rode it a few months until I got my car back. And it sat
In parking lot for weeks and the. One day I noticed it was missing.

It was a great little basic bike and I only had to go about 3 miles each way to work on it… so worked great!

Cool video!

Sirhr

View attachment 8314856
fLRke3v.jpg

The hardtop version, also 2000!

An atheist was seated next to a dusty old cowboy on an airplane and he turned to him and said, “Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”
The old cowboy, who had just started to read his book, replied to the total stranger, “What would you want to talk about?”
“Oh, I don’t know,” said the atheist. “How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?” as he smiled smugly.
“Okay,” he said. “Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff – grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?”
The atheist, visibly surprised by the old cowboy's intelligence, thinks about it and says, “Hmmm, I have no idea.”
To which the cowboy replies, “Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don’t know sh!t?”

Z06 is an absolute monster! Mine were listed at 650 hp & 650 tq, but read several places they were understated.

This might have been my favorite car. '84 928S with 5MT. Another one that was insanely fast when it came out.

ppwnG54.jpg

P2M4cNW.jpg
Funny, I had the same car in Gunmetal metallic, Automatic : -( , with cream interior. A lot cooler in summer than black. 0-60 5.4 sec.

I got rid of it just before the torque tube had to be rebuilt. Cost the new owner, in 2000, was $2500 ($4300 in todays dollars) but your Vette will be stupid $$$ when it needs done because "carbon fiber"

My Mercedes SLK32 AMG with 3.2L-450HP (Euro supercharger upgrade) is the most fun to drive of anything I ever owned (0-60 in the mid 4s) but my 850CSIi (0-60 5.9) was the car with the best road manners.
P.S. (I love pillarless coupes)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         -2272x1704-017900.jpg

FYI My 92 Mercedes 500E 0-60 is 5.5sec. (chipped)

500e.JPG

Last edited:

What is re-ification?

Living in Dallas, I have a ton of respect for Cuban based on the first-hand stories I have heard about him. But I don't agree with a lot of his ideas.

And I would bet my money that Elon has a far more diverse work force in any measure than Mark. You don't make a new car company or launch rockets with out a lot of fucking geniuses who are also from Timbuktu or just fucking crazy some of the time.

Reactions: klf and theLBC

We got a departmental wide email at work some months back about Unauthorized, unofficial or personal stickers on departmental vehicles. Knowing this place, I assumed someone was offended by an American flag, a VFW sticker, or God forbid something anti Biden or Pro Trump.

A few minutes later I walked out into the parking lot, saw this and thought.. "Well, maybe they have a point." :D

IMG_7223.jpg

Funny, I had the same car in Gunmetal metallic, Automatic : -( , with cream interior. A lot cooler in summer than black. 0-60 5.4 sec.

I got rid of it just before the torque tube had to be rebuilt. Cost the new owner, in 2000, was $2500 ($4300 in todays dollars) but your Vette will be stupid $$$ when it needs done because "carbon fiber"

My Mercedes SLK32 AMG with 3.2L-450HP (Euro supercharger upgrade) is the most fun to drive of anything I ever owned (0-60 in the mid 4s) but my 850CSIi (0-60 5.9) was the car with the best road manners.
P.S. (I love pillarless coupes)

View attachment 8315107

FYI My 92 Mercedes 500E 0-60 is 5.5sec. (chipped)

View attachment 8315140
That 928 was far from the fastest car I've had, but it was a lot of fun and definitely got attention!

For a while, my wife and I had his & hers Camaro ZL1s. Hers was an '18 with the A10, mine a '20 with M7. Hers was faster, both 0-60 and top end. (And I don't mean on paper. I put them both to the test during the Covid open racetrack days. In Mexico, of course. ;)) I had hers up to 190 on the GPS, might have had a little more to give but I backed out. Mine topped out at 178 on the same stretch of road.

9jZKHme.jpg

That was her 2nd ZL1. She called her '15 Vader.

AqRfZt1.jpg

Yup. But, hey, they are driving 1000 HP cars and most aren't advocating for 15 minute cities, public transport. bike lanes and 37 genders.

I don't care if it has wings, wheels, keels, or a snorkel. If it burns dead dinosaurs (totally organic) they are my kind of people!

Sirhr
Anyone into cars/ trucks/motorcycles no matter which brand I am good.
Not everyone is into the building/customizing group of auto enthusiast. Some don't have the time/tools/knowledge and they buy what they enjoy.
I do like to see what others have done to their vehicle.

The one car I wish I never sold was my fast back Torino. If I could undo any of them that would be it.

And I owned BUNCHES of cars, firebirds, mustangs, tons of little sports cars. That Torino I should have kept. It was a cobra as well.
This Torino, 428CJ (SCJ?) belonged to the dad of a friend of mine when he was in high school

Once he started looking for it, it took the son 10 years to find it and another 12 to get the owner to sell it back to him so he could give it to his dad for his birthday

They are restoring it together

This is a picture of him hauling it back home to the ranch where it started out

car Jerod Torino.jpg

What is re-ification?

Living in Dallas, I have a ton of respect for Cuban based on the first-hand stories I have heard about him. But I don't agree with a lot of his ideas.

And I would bet my money that Elon has a far more diverse work force in any measure than Mark. You don't make a new car company or launch rockets with out a lot of fucking geniuses who are also from Timbuktu or just fucking crazy some of the time.
I’d be willing to bet Elon is the only African at Tesla or SpaceX.