• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Funny & awesome pics, vids and memes thread (work safe, no nudity)

dog body surf.jpg

That brings back memories, before I broke myself headbutting a semi, I was mad on caving and there are some of the country's deepest just up the road.

I remember guiding a university survey group to map one, we had to grovel for over 600m to get to the main descent dragging shitloads of gear including 90m of ladder because one of the surveyors refused to use ascenders.
I prefer prussicking myself, much easier to carry.

It turned out to be well worth the effort, what she didn't know about caves is probably irrelevant or wrong and I learned more about cave morphology(her doctoral speciality) from talking to her that trip than before or since.
Below is part of the grovel section

20210206_140707.jpg

The lady in question at the head of the first big chamber.

20210206_134002.jpg

I dropped my camera about 30 seconds after taking this and broke off the rewind lever so I didn't get shots of the main chamber, which was huge. There was a rock the size of a small house on the floor and a corresponding hole in the roof, would have been a rather brown moment to be in there to see that fall happen.
As well as surveying and mapping, they also excavated the creekbed on the floor at our deepest point and took sediment samples. Pollen found was carbon dated and determined an approximate age of 750,000 years.

That brings back memories, before I broke myself headbutting a semi, I was mad on caving and there are some of the country's deepest just up the road.

I remember guiding a university survey group to map one, we had to grovel for over 600m to get to the main descent dragging shitloads of gear including 90m of ladder because one of the surveyors refused to use ascenders.

It turned out to be well worth the effort, what she didn't know about caves is probably irrelevant or wrong and I learned more about cave morphology(her doctoral speciality) from talking to her that trip than before or since.

View attachment 7547923

View attachment 7547925

I dropped my camera about 30 seconds after taking this and broke off the rewind lever so I didn't get shots of the main chamber, which was huge. There was a rock the size of a small house on the floor and a corresponding hole in the roof, would have been a rather brown moment to be in there to see that fall happen.
As well as surveying and mapping, they also excavated the creekbed on the floor at our deepest point and took sediment samples. Pollen found was carbon dated and determined an approximate age of 750,000 years.
In my younger days, I did caving for about 12 years. Saw alot if interesting things.... Did a fair amount of repelling and rope climbing.

Reactions: Gaznazdiak
In my younger days, I did caving for about 12 years. Saw alot if interesting things.... Did a fair amount of repelling and rope climbing.
Did you ever do any rundown abseiling?
A mate was an SAS medic and got me into it, you have your figure 8 on the back of the harness.
If that gets old you can try what he called a "mad" rundown.
You gather as much slack as you dare take a running jump off the edge and brake as late as possible.
The pic is him just hitting the brakes after free falling about 30m. We used double 10mm rope for less stretch.
20210206_133312.jpg

View attachment 7547923

View attachment 7547925

Meh, dry caves are boring.

A mate was an SAS medic and got me into it, you have your figure 8 on the back of the harness.
You gather as much slack as you dare take a running jump off the edge and brake as late as possible.
The pic is him just hitting the brakes after free falling about 30m. We used double 10mm rope for less stretch.
View attachment 7548012
Back in college, about 1975, my buddy and I snuck up to the top of the 14 story girls dorm and rappelled down the front of it. Security and and a nice crowd were waiting for us when we touched down. Two quarters of probation, but didn't get expelled..... At least it wasn't "double secret probation" :)

Back in college, about 1975, my buddy and I snuck up to the top of the 14 story girls dorm and rappelled down the front of it. Security and and a nice crowd were waiting for us when we touched down. Two quarters of probation, but didn't get expelled..... At least it wasn't "double secret probation" :)
We tried that on a three story sorority house using the fire escape. The dorm dike and campus police were waiting for us.

Apparently we weren't the first ones to have tried it.

Reactions: Maxwell
Meh, dry caves are boring.
On the contrary, when you're dry caving you can go anywhere you can squeeze your body into, as in the gif to which i responded.

Having to drag a load of bombs around with you, and being so drastically limited in your exploration possibilities by that, is boring.

But it takes all sorts old mate, enjoy the nether regions any way you choose, just don't go chasing Dave Shaw, eh?

On the contrary, when you're dry caving you can go anywhere you can squeeze your body into, as in the gif to which i responded.

Having to drag a load of bombs around with you, and being so drastically limited in your exploration possibilities by that, is boring.

But it takes all sorts old mate, enjoy the nether regions any way you choose, just don't go chasing Dave Shaw, eh?
Look out for Floyd Collins on the nylon highway

View attachment 7548012
Good old angel dive

Reactions: Gaznazdiak
Look out for Floyd Collins on the nylon highway

What a piss poor way to go, eh?

That was the one thing that would wake my panic monkey, doing just what he was up to.

In 1979 myself and 3 mates did a traverse between the lower reaches of two separate caves.

This involved digging silt from a crack in the floor of one cave, that was the entrance, and squeezing headfirst down that into a roughly triangular pipe about 18" wide and 14" high, following that into a "flattener", a horizontal open space between 2 faces of rock, this one about 9" high.
That leads to the underground creek that formed the traverse.
When we reached it, there was an unexpected silt buildup to within 2" of the top and we had to scoop out a channel through about 50m.

When we got through to the main channel, which is about 4' diameter but eventually opens to subway size, the silt had created a sort of U bend that was full of water.
We had no choice but to retrace the traverse.
All just good tiring fun until we reached the surface to find it just starting to rain.

It gets my neck hairs up thinking about it now.

We tried that on a three story sorority house using the fire escape. The dorm dike and campus police were waiting for us.

Apparently we weren't the first ones to have tried it.

Huh?
I went to nursing school with all girls.
I was in the same dorms till my senior year.
Just walk down the hall.
I saw a lot of crazy things. Thats all I have to say about that. 😎

Joke man, it’s a joke.

But I do prefer underwater to dry, always know what I’m breathing that way.

Reactions: kindabitey