• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

GAP-10/ lrp-07 hybrid set up

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
I see many threads comparing the Gap-10 and JP LRP-07, but has anyone taken a GAP10 and tried JPs low profile adjustable gas block and silent capture spring? I loved how I could tune my JP to the ammo I was shooting. I dont know the the barrel OD would even allow for this, but I cannot fin where anyone has tried this. Hell it may not even be necessary. I have a GAP10 on the way and was just thinking back to the JP. Could have the best of both in one rifle.

I have both an LRP-07 and GAP10; I put a JP silent captured buffer in my GAP10, works great and smoothed out the recoil impulse.

I still have the original non-adjustable gas block on my GAP10 so I put the heaviest spring in the JP buffer for now and the rifle has no problem locking the bolt back on the last round. It could probably use the gas cut down just a hair to soften the recoil a little more.

Regarding the gas blocks, JP gas blocks work fine but set screws and loctite for gas adjustment are a pain in the ass especially if you need to readjust as the combination of loctite plus some carbon buildup on the threads can really stick that little setscrew in place. I just changed the gas blocks on all 3 of my JP rifles from the original JP gas blocks to SLR Sentry gas blocks, much better design IMO-- 15 adjustment detents between full closed and full open, very easy to disassemble and clean, and no loctite needed. Extremely low profile & light too. I will probably change the gas block on the GAP10 over to a SLR Sentry 8, I believe the GAP10s are .875 barrel diameter at the gas port.

Regarding your approach of having the best of both worlds in one rifle by putting the JP buffer and gas block in the GAP10, my approach would be opposite-- I'd like to have GAP fit a Bartlein barrel to an LRP-07 as my preference is for the JP side charging receiver set over the Hogan/GAP receiver set.

The biggest disadvantage to the JP rifles in my experience is the .080" firing pin in their BCG which can exacerbate primer issues in non-308 calibers like .260 and 6.5CM. GAP has the edge there by fitting their non-308 builds with Armalite BCGs which use .068" firing pins.

Regardless, both are great rifles. :D

Last edited:
The biggest disadvantage to the JP rifles in my experience is the .080" firing pin in their BCG which can exacerbate primer issues in non-308 calibers like .260 and 6.5CM. GAP has the edge there by fitting their non-308 builds with Armalite BCGs which use .068" firing pins.

I have been talking with JP and in 2-3 weeks they will have a new "hi pressure" bolt that will come with a significantly reduced firing pin and a bunch of other upgrades to it. It is NOT on the website yet. You can call them and get more info regarding the new bolt. I called them again today just to re verify what they have previously told me.

Also LMT is selling parts seperately for their MWS they also use a .068 pin. Just to throw that out there too.

This is not a April fools joke either.

Last edited:
I have been talking with JP and in 2-3 weeks they will have a new "hi pressure" bolt that will come with a significantly reduced firing pin and a bunch of other upgrades to it. It is NOT on the website yet. You can call them and get more info regarding the new bolt. I called them again today just to re verify what they have previously told me.

Also LMT is selling parts seperately for their MWS they also use a .068 pin. Just to throw that out there too.

This is not a April fools joke either.

When I received my 6.5 Creedmoor LRP-07 last year and had some primer cratering issues with 140gr loads I spent almost 45 minutes on the phone with Ben at JP discussing not only alternative loads that were easier on primers but possible fixes. The immediate fix as suggested by John Paul was to switch to 123 Scenars (which I really prefer out of the gas guns) but I also told Ben that when my 6.5CM GAP10 had horrible cratering and piercing problems GAP's fix was to swap to an Armalite BCG with the .068" firing pin and *all* cratering issues totally went away. Even when I purposely loaded some hot loads that trashed the primer pockets in the brass and flattened the edges of the primers the firing pin impact looked perfect with the smaller firing pin.

Ben was *very* attentive during that part of the phone call and hinted that they had been considering going to a smaller firing pin as well. Glad to see it's finally coming out... guess I need to email Ben again, I need one! The .080" firing pin is the only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with on my LRP-07. The primers aren't too bad out of the LRP07 but they're nowhere near as good as the primers out of my GAP10 with the Armalite BCG. Sounds like the new bolt will take care of that concern.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Ben at JP. He said they're finishing up the bolts now and hope to have them packed, on the webpage, and ready to ship in about 2-3 weeks-- so keep an eye on the web page.

He's expecting them to be sold as a bolt / firing pin / cam pin combo back. Furthermore, for current LRP-07 / PSC-12 owners he said tolerances have been held tight enough it will just be a drop-in swap from your current bolt and you won't need to send the upper back. Can't wait to place an order for the new bolt, the smaller firing pin will fix the one thing that bugs me about my 6.5CM LRP-07 and provide more safety margin on the primer condition. :D

Last edited:
I have both an LRP-07 and GAP10; I put a JP silent captured buffer in my GAP10, works great and smoothed out the recoil impulse.

I still have the original non-adjustable gas block on my GAP10 so I put the heaviest spring in the JP buffer for now and the rifle has no problem locking the bolt back on the last round. It could probably use the gas cut down just a hair to soften the recoil a little more.

Regarding the gas blocks, JP gas blocks work fine but set screws and loctite for gas adjustment are a pain in the ass especially if you need to readjust as the combination of loctite plus some carbon buildup on the threads can really stick that little setscrew in place. I just changed the gas blocks on all 3 of my JP rifles from the original JP gas blocks to SLR Sentry gas blocks, much better design IMO-- 15 adjustment detents between full closed and full open, very easy to disassemble and clean, and no loctite needed. Extremely low profile & light too. I will probably change the gas block on the GAP10 over to a SLR Sentry 8, I believe the GAP10s are .875 barrel diameter at the gas port.

Regarding your approach of having the best of both worlds in one rifle by putting the JP buffer and gas block in the GAP10, my approach would be opposite-- I'd like to have GAP fit a Bartlein barrel to an LRP-07 as my preference is for the JP side charging receiver set over the Hogan/GAP receiver set.

is the lrp07 barrel not as accurate as the gap10 barrel?