• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

GAP Crusader .308 first day at the range.

Bongobob

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
BC, Canada
My bore guide from Mike Lucas arrived, and I finally had time to go to the range and try out my new GAP rifle.

Since this is my first "custom" precision rifle I figured I might as well follow GAP's barrel break in procedure...what the hell, it couldn't hurt...right?

I loaded up some rounds for break in using 44g of Varget in Win cases with CCI primers all topped with Hornady 168g HPBT Match bullets...here are the results...

Here is the rifle:
IMG_2619.jpg

Pic of the range...not a bad day, not much wind at the beginning...
IMG_2623.jpg

Cleaning the beast between shots:
IMG_2620.jpg

The results...these are all 5 shot groups at 100 yrds. The first target is really great (for me!), the second has one high round shot by my buddy who begged me to let him try a shot, still not bad. The third target I pulled one a little left and the wind picked up in that direction as well. I'm really impressed with this rifle and can't wait to try out some other loads with it at longer ranges!
IMG_2625.jpg

Re: GAP Crusader .308 first day at the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z28kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a very nice rifle!
How does that Defiance action feel? </div></div>

I've only got 15 rounds through it so far, but it feels great...very smooth as you would expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you chron'd those loads? Awesome looking rifle! </div></div>

I might set up the chrono today if I go back out...

what's that white stuff I see in the picture - didn't see any of that this year or very little. Very nice looking rifle.

When did you order the bore guide. I emailed them today and they told me they are not accepting orders until June.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did you order the bore guide. I emailed them today and they told me they are not accepting orders until June. </div></div>

Ordered mid Feb...shipped Feb 27th. Maybe he's going on vacation or something?

Great looking rifle! Much like my Crusader build. I have the McMillan cheek piece and I also added the GAP Titan muzzle brake.
The Vortx Razor HD EBR-2B is going to installed, the only thing that needs to be done is install my Atlas bipod. They are doing the final assembly and QA and I am just waiting for Tracy's call.

Have you tried Dewey bore guides? They have them at most gunshops in my area.

Thank you for ammo tip 168 FGMM.

You showed me your so Ill show you mine. I cant believe that I went my entire life without one of these. I was on the fence for years about getting a TRG and then this Crusader came up for sale on the hide at the same time I had finally saved enough for a TRG. 168 FGMM will consistantly produce .25 to .45 groups out of this rifle and is the only thing that I have used so far.
DSCN1469.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Henry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking rifle! Much like my Crusader build. I have the McMillan cheek piece and I also added the GAP Titan muzzle brake.
The Vortx Razor HD EBR-2B is going to installed, the only thing that needs to be done is install my Atlas bipod. They are doing the final assembly and QA and I am just waiting for Tracy's call.

Have you tried Dewey bore guides? They have them at most gunshops in my area.

Thank you for ammo tip 168 FGMM.

You're going to be really happy when she arrives!

No, I have not tried Dewy bore guides, but I'm sure they work fine.

</div></div>