• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Garrow development 17hmr

woogie_man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
Is there anyone here that has hands on experience with these? Considering selling my cz455 with two barrels and going with a dedicated caliber rifle. Curious about unbiased thoughts, and possibly some average grouping pictures

I'm curious as well. Done a ton or research but no experience. Looks promising. Got a 452 varmint in 17 that's a laser but i'm way more proficient with an AR and sometimes the squirrels are so thick an auto would be an asset-Norcal911

Even the greatest built bolt guns are at the mercy of the ammo consistency with the magnum calibers. 6-8 ish years ago you went through a couple lots and could find some great ammo that was lights out. Now it’s a bit frustrating seeing velocity spreads of 150+ FPS from shot to shot! I love my hmr to death but ever since running out of my stash I haven’t shot it much cause I haven’t found anything as consistent :(. From time to time I’ll sample ammo from various places in hopes of getting something good but I haven’t had much luck :(. I had a buddy a year ago send me some cci tnt he stashed away that was awesome but he won’t sell me any of it lol.

Reactions: Tucker301
I've actually been having pretty good luck with the CCI 17 grain TNT (not the green). i can usually get it under 3/4" at 50 sometimes approaching 1/2" and not a lot of fliers. The TNT Green shoots like crap for me. My CZ digests most things pretty well but the 17 grain TNT is by far the best and most consistent. I'm just far more familiar with the manual of arms on an AR and would love to have one in 17HMR that will actually shoot a group-Norcal911

So what is it about the hmr that causes the issues? I can understand the fps spread causing issues, but what else could be an issue?

Not sure how fast the little bastards are going at say 100 or 200 yards. But I know what will happen to the projectile when transitioning through the sonic barrier.

So what is it about the hmr that causes the issues? I can understand the fps spread causing issues, but what else could be an issue?

Not sure how fast the little bastards are going at say 100 or 200 yards. But I know what will happen to the projectile when transitioning through the sonic barrier.

I think for now it's mostly an issue of no ammo company taking a serious approach to producing match grade runs that rival Center-X, R50, and other 22 loads in quality.

Other then the ammo being inconsistent, it’s a pretty bad ass round! It is possible to find a good lot of ammo but it’s not like it’s readily available to purchase that way like match 22 lr ammo is. For the most part the ammo is loaded good enough to achieve 1/2”-1” on average at 50 yards. It’s perfect for hunting but not a good idea for target or any type of shooting where 1/2 MOA or better accuracy is a must.

I think the Vmax stuff is very inconsistent, the meplats/tips are all uneven, I've found one stuck in my wood target stand sideways with the tip all drooped to one side.
The TNT is where it's at, with this caliber the one variable we can pick from is bullet. Those hollow points seem to be the most consistent, all my best groups have been with TNT ammo, the 20gr FMJ is a close second. The TNT also lives up to its name on small game. I shot thousands of rounds and all I will buy now is the TNT or the 20 gr FMJ.

*I found that sideways bullet stuck in the wood at 200y, still super sonic for sure. Also found them like that at 365 but unstability is to be expected at that distance. That being said I have put a full 10 round mag on an 11" plate at 400y
conditions where good obiviously.