• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Genius or fraud???

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman

Seems to me that this guy broke no laws at all?

There is nothing stopping someone from creating AI bands.

No rule that says music has to have a creative genius behind it… and if the creative genius happens to be the “band creator” who created AI bands and, by extension, songs…. So be it. Art is many things.

As for creating bots to listen to music and increase hits? Practice is so common as to be considered an every day activity. And who says you have to get “people” listening to your music to get paid for it? Elevator music gets paid royalties if no one is “listening”. Tons of news outlets and political teams and retailers use bots to boost their numbers.

I see a smart guy who created songs with AI and created listeners for that music. All while using a worthless system that is too ossified to keep up with technology… so it tries to sue the innovators instead of evolving its own schemes…. I mean are these “royalty companies” any more artists than TicketMaster controlling the concert side of things?

If I created an AI hologram band to play a concert hall (it’s happening) and did t use Ticketmaster… the world would come to an end.

This guy saw a way a corrupt system could generate revenue… without doing anything but being creative (the very definition of art) and is getting arrested?

When are they going to arrest Taylor Swift for garbage music not created by her… so many remixes that noone even knows what she sounds like… and millions of bot followers to boost her dizzy pop false idol status… and the bots streaming her music so she can have two G5’s.? She is no less fake than this guys AI bands

What Is the difference?

They see Fraud… when we should see genius and the whole thing being art!!!

Sirhr

IMG_20220125_202042_041.jpeg

Sounds like he was treading on someone else's future plans. Someone with money and connections to have the government be his hired henchmen. Someone that played a major role in getting the current regime in office and will play a vital part in the next election. Someone who's current platform is full of AI and it's numbers boosted by artificial means.

I believe where he went off the rails was using AI bots to make it appear he was getting a whole lot more views or hits on the streaming than he actually was - thus getting more payouts than he actually deserved.
But, I gotta admit, I'm impressed............

Reactions: jr81452
Natural progression of the music industry, Big Music has been using discrete software for a long time to write tunes and predict success of bands/acts. First reaction was a chuckle, Big Music are just pissed they didn’t do it first and then copyright the scam.

Just last night I had dinner with someone who has started an AI generated music channel on YT.
It’s not disclosed as AI generated, yet has many subscribers. Most musos or serious music heads would pick it as non human of origin, but most don’t.

I remember when Yamaha demonstrated a digital piano next to a Steinway in the 90’s, only a few of us in the room could pick the difference, and had it been a digital and not analogue sound system, maybe the few of us that picked it may have been fooled too. The Yamaha piano had the ability to replay sampled versions of various different classic pianos. Zappa copped a lot of flack for using a sampler.

I keep trying to find some comfort in being in a tiny minority of people who can appreciate nuances in tonal colour of an instrument, and genius in composition and structure of music, but the reality is the masses are gonna continue to eat shit and think it butter…

Most likely, it's the bots giving false impressions that got the guy nabbed, but I see it as not much different than the film/tv industry doing the same thing with "online reviews" in systems like Rotten Tomatoes, or book reviews on Amazon; this is known.

I suppose you just need to do it a little "smarter" with an offline, handshake deal for a 3rd party to run the bot system for you, with no documented record of the deal.

Hypothetical: If I, with no connection to an artist, want to support that person and give them more revenue/hype them...can I generate my own bot farm that constantly hits their streams all day, 24/7 and if the platform compensates them for the impressions, how could it be argued that either of us have done something wrong?

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

No rule that says music has to have a creative genius behind it… and if the creative genius happens to be the “band creator” who created AI bands and, by extension, songs…. So be it. Art is many things.

As for creating bots to listen to music and increase hits? Practice is so common as to be considered an every day activity. And who says you have to get “people” listening to your music to get paid for it? Elevator music gets paid royalties if no one is “listening”. Tons of news outlets and political teams and retailers use bots to boost their numbers.

I see a smart guy who created songs with AI and created listeners for that music. All while using a worthless system that is too ossified to keep up with technology… so it tries to sue the innovators instead of evolving its own schemes…. I mean are these “royalty companies” any more artists than TicketMaster controlling the concert side of things?

If I created an AI hologram band to play a concert hall (it’s happening) and did t use Ticketmaster… the world would come to an end.

This guy saw a way a corrupt system could generate revenue… without doing anything but being creative (the very definition of art) and is getting arrested?

When are they going to arrest Taylor Swift for garbage music not created by her… so many remixes that noone even knows what she sounds like… and millions of bot followers to boost her dizzy pop false idol status… and the bots streaming her music so she can have two G5’s.? She is no less fake than this guys AI bands

What Is the difference?

Sirhr
Was a post on this in the portajohn thread and I linked this:

Pretty much is a case of Spotify doesn't want someone else horning in on the fraud they themselves are doing.

There was a guy a while back that had a "band" that all of its songs were silence. He told people to let it play all night so he could get the plays to get paid. That was the "old school" way of doing what this guy did.

What Is the difference?

Sirhr
Taylor's a Democrat so, different rulz. . .

I believe where he went off the rails was using AI bots to make it appear he was getting a whole lot more views or hits on the streaming than he actually was - thus getting more payouts than he actually deserved.

Fair enough BUT.... how well have they audited all the 'other' bots out there? Shilling for the crap we see as music these days. How much of that is the Bot equivalent of the Payola Scams? And noone is going to go after them, are they?

AI generated music is music. As long as "Bots" are considered hits by everyone from news services to political polls to product reviews... then he did nothing wrong.

Sirhr

Fair enough BUT.... how well have they audited all the 'other' bots out there? Shilling for the crap we see as music these days. How much of that is the Bot equivalent of the Payola Scams? And noone is going to go after them, are they?

AI generated music is music. As long as "Bots" are considered hits by everyone from news services to political polls to product reviews... then he did nothing wrong.

Sirhr

What do the royalty agreements from the various streaming services say? We need the actual language of the contract to see if there is fraud. I have a feeling the contracts require real people to stream the music. While many entities use bots to boost their ratings, to the extent this improves advertising revenue it is fraud. And these people need to go to prison.

What Is the difference?

Sirhr
The only difference is that the elites allow one and criminalize the other. Basically game of thrones played out in the modern day.

Reactions: HarryBC
The only 'creative' people in the pop music industry are the engineers building AI to replace it. Generate a pretty face and produce mindless, easily imitated songs.

Reactions: Cody S
I keep trying to find some comfort in being in a tiny minority of people who can appreciate nuances in tonal colour of an instrument, and genius in composition and structure of music, but the reality is the masses are gonna continue to eat shit and think it butter…
it's more apparent when you play the instrument and feel the vibration running through you as you create the music.
these kids nowadays are too fuckin stupid to appreciate good music, they just want noise.
I play a Martin 1937 d28 replica.

Reactions: Clearlight
Remember when Elon bought Twitter and it turned out that over 50% of the accounts were faked by the previous owners to inflate the value of the company? Then the courts said too bad you have to pay the price anyway.
Judicial Branch= corrupt

Remember when Elon bought Twitter and it turned out that over 50% of the accounts were faked by the previous owners to inflate the value of the company? Then the courts said too bad you have to pay the price anyway.
Judicial Branch= corrupt

Excellent point! Does that constitute case law that bit hits are as valuable as human hits?

Sirhr

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC