• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Geoballistics with phone attachment?

OK. What data is it going to give me that the weathermeter with geoballistics won't? Other than applied ballistics?

You get the same weather data or close enough for what we are doing anyway.. What you do not get, is an robust unit, easy on batteries that is fast and easy to use while ten things are going on around you, because it needs your phone and does NOT have it's own display.

Looking at your build and your questions, I'd get the Geoballistics meter and upgrade down the road ~

Reactions: SonicBurlap
You get the same weather data or close enough for what we are doing anyway.. What you do not get, is an robust unit, easy on batteries that is fast and easy to use while ten things are going on around you, because it needs your phone and does NOT have it's own display.

Looking at your build and your questions, I'd get the Geoballistics meter and upgrade down the road ~

Thats the plan since the college budget is tight. I also don't do prs matches yet so I don't know how necessary a 500$ piece of equipment is when 80$ will do the same thing for me and make a good back up for when I do upgrade but if it wasn't going to be worth my time at all, I'd avoid it and just buy something that would last me down the road.

Thats the plan since the college budget is tight. I also don't do prs matches yet so I don't know how necessary a 500$ piece of equipment is when 80$ will do the same thing for me and make a good back up for when I do upgrade but if it wasn't going to be worth my time at all, I'd avoid it and just buy something that would last me down the road.

It is perfect for someone in your shoes..

I use it in matches and it works just fine! I have it bluetooth connected to an old phone with the Strelok Pro app that just stays in my back pack. It's a great cheaper alternative that actually works!

How do you compare sterlok to geoballistics? I haven't played with sterlok much yet but I really like the geoballistics app so far. What are the differences in the 2?

OK. What data is it going to give me that the weathermeter with geoballistics won't? Other than applied ballistics?

Two different questions. While both will provide the same data, one is faster, more accurate, and provides dope in a single interface that doesn’t shut down when overheated or lose most of its touchscreen function when soaked in rain.

The other has to connect, takes quite a bit more time to give an accurate reading, and requires your phone which will present challenges in extreme weather.

Two different questions. While both will provide the same data, one is faster, more accurate, and provides dope in a single interface that doesn’t shut down when overheated or lose most of its touchscreen function when soaked in rain.

The other has to connect, takes quite a bit more time to give an accurate reading, and requires your phone which will present challenges in extreme weather.

Those are good points but I don't really shoot in extreme conditions, at least not at the moment. I'm no marine and I don't shoot competitions so I get to choose my conditions for the time being.

Those are good points but I don't really shoot in extreme conditions, at least not at the moment. I'm no marine and I don't shoot competitions so I get to choose my conditions for the time being.

You don’t get to choose when the weatherflow has been in your pocket and takes 10min to level out. You don’t get to decide when it’s going to be picky about connecting.

You don’t get to decide when an otherwise good day or day when the rain was supposed to hold off, starts pouring rain. And then you’re fighting with wet hands to use your phone to get dope and you can’t get it to swipe or touch properly.

It’ll work, but there’s going to be times when the 6x the price is going to show why it’s 6x the price. Been there, done that.

Sounds like you made up your mind before you started the thread and just want your decision validated.

You don’t get to choose when the weatherflow has been in your pocket and takes 10min to level out. You don’t get to decide when it’s going to be picky about connecting.

You don’t get to decide when an otherwise good day or day when the rain was supposed to hold off, starts pouring rain. And then you’re fighting with wet hands to use your phone to get dope and you can’t get it to swipe or touch properly.

It’ll work, but there’s going to be times when the 6x the price is going to show why it’s 6x the price. Been there, done that.

Sounds like you made up your mind before you started the thread and just want your decision validated.

My mind isn't made up yet since I'm still looking for a used one. Know of any for less that $300? That's what I can justify right now.

My mind isn't made up yet since I'm still looking for a used one. Know of any for less that $300? That's what I can justify right now.
Just get the weather flow and save your money. I have never had a single issue with mine.
Sure, it requires you to have your phone with you. Turns out, I have my phone in my pocket all hours of the day so thats not an issue.
Ive also never been shooting from the dashboard of the jeep in summer or under a magnifying glass like an ant to get anything hot enough to stop working from overheating.
Sure, it requires you to take half a second to turn your phones blue tooth on and another half a second to push a button on the meter for them to automatically pair. Big deal.
If its pouring rain hard enough that I wouldnt want to get my phone out... I go under a roof. I also wouldnt want to get out any other 600 dollar electronics in those conditions.
Dont keep it in your pant pockets, body heat influence problem solved.
Maybe your bag gets left in the sun, put the weather meter on a lanyard with its conveniently supplied adapter (mine stays in it full time) and spin it around real quick, problem solved.

Ive had the same battery in my weather flow for 2 years now. Turns out, usually a reading before you start shooting and again after lunch is usually all you need. Weather doesnt change all that much in an hour or two to make a difference, obviously a front blowing through can change that up but you probably dont need a weather meter to tell you that.

Is the kestral way more capable than the geoballstics/weather flow combo? Yeah, it better fucking be for 600 bucks. I spent 60 on the weather flow and 15 for the app. You can do just as well with a sling psychrometer and it requires no batteries and it also has no electronics to mess up or batteries to die (or in the case of kestrals-batteries to leak and destroy the thing) so theres a point to manual methods over the kestral lol.

The weather flow geoballistcs is is a fine option.

Just get the weather flow and save your money. I have never had a single issue with mine.
Sure, it requires you to have your phone with you. Turns out, I have my phone in my pocket all hours of the day so thats not an issue.
Ive also never been shooting from the dashboard of the jeep in summer or under a magnifying glass like an ant to get anything hot enough to stop working from overheating.
Sure, it requires you to take half a second to turn your phones blue tooth on and another half a second to push a button on the meter for them to automatically pair. Big deal.
If its pouring rain hard enough that I wouldnt want to get my phone out... I go under a roof. I also wouldnt want to get out any other 600 dollar electronics in those conditions.
Dont keep it in your pant pockets, body heat influence problem solved.
Maybe your bag gets left in the sun, put the weather meter on a lanyard with its conveniently supplied adapter (mine stays in it full time) and spin it around real quick, problem solved.

Ive had the same battery in my weather flow for 2 years now. Turns out, usually a reading before you start shooting and again after lunch is usually all you need. Weather doesnt change all that much in an hour or two to make a difference, obviously a front blowing through can change that up but you probably dont need a weather meter to tell you that.

Is the kestral way more capable than the geoballstics/weather flow combo? Yeah, it better fucking be for 600 bucks. I spent 60 on the weather flow and 15 for the app. You can do just as well with a sling psychrometer and it requires no batteries and it also has no electronics to mess up or batteries to die (or in the case of kestrals-batteries to leak and destroy the thing) so theres a point to manual methods over the kestral lol.

A pros cons list is exactly what I was looking for and the actual environment where you'll be using the device is a helpful piece of information as well.

Geoballistics and weather flow will be perfect for you for what you are describing. Just leave your weather meter exposed for 10-15 mins to the environment before you try to take an accurate reading and try to keep it out of direct sunlight as much as possible (just try to put it beside your range pack in the shade).
I shoot matches with mine all the time and my atmospherics come in really close to all the kestrels around me. The phone thing has not bothered me, and I’ve been shooting in 110+ degrees lately. (AZ)

That being said, I have never had to use in rain.

Geoballistics and weather flow will be perfect for you for what you are describing. Just leave your weather meter exposed for 10-15 mins to the environment before you try to take an accurate reading and try to keep it out of direct sunlight as much as possible (just try to put it beside your range pack in the shade).
I shoot matches with mine all the time and my atmospherics come in really close to all the kestrels around me. The phone thing has not bothered me, and I’ve been shooting in 110+ degrees lately. (AZ)

That being said, I have never had to use in rain.

I ordered mine a bit after this thread and it's put my 223 on steel at 1000 pretty reliably. I have had first shot hits out to 800 (shooting when the wind meets my measurement, not in gusts) and have really enjoyed it so far.

Reactions: Grog11
The Weatherflow/Geoballistics works just fine, so does the Strelok Pro. The Kestrel is a better unit but at $600 - $700 I'd rather invest that money into my next rifle in the form of a stock, or chassis, or as a portion of the glass. So far their pricing has always kept me from breaking down and becoming one of their customers; so many rifles, so little ...and you always need another boom stick.

This is not the experience I have had over the last 3 days, WeatherFlow has already refunded me and they haven't even received the return yet.
My meter takes about 45-90mins to match ambient temp and even then its always high.
Can't change between apps with out it disconnecting and requiring the a hard reset of the device.
On android location settings must be turned on for it to connect but the apps and instructions don't mention this
Also the device no longer contains a compass so you cant remote mount it on a vane. (which is what i was going to do since my shooting area is partially enclosed) they only updated the support page 18days ago to mention this but the amazon description still states it can determine wind direction.
The manufacturer has stated that the cheaper blue meter is the same hardware as the "precision shooting" model (but it still contains a compass) however they "might" firmware lock it so it can't be used with ballistic apps.
I don't know what WeatherFlow's goal is as a company is but it doesn't seem to be around attracting loyal customers, and based off of the refund policy they know it and don't seem to care.

This is not the experience I have had over the last 3 days, WeatherFlow has already refunded me and they haven't even received the return yet.
My meter takes about 45-90mins to match ambient temp and even then its always high.
Can't change between apps with out it disconnecting and requiring the a hard reset of the device.
On android location settings must be turned on for it to connect but the apps and instructions don't mention this
Also the device no longer contains a compass so you cant remote mount it on a vane. (which is what i was going to do since my shooting area is partially enclosed) they only updated the support page 18days ago to mention this but the amazon description still states it can determine wind direction.
The manufacturer has stated that the cheaper blue meter is the same hardware as the "precision shooting" model (but it still contains a compass) however they "might" firmware lock it so it can't be used with ballistic apps.
I don't know what WeatherFlow's goal is as a company is but it doesn't seem to be around attracting loyal customers, and based off of the refund policy they know it and don't seem to care.

That's crazy. I've had really good luck with mine and it's put me on target out to a grand quite to few times.