Rifle Scopes German 4 reticle

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen I am looking for a German style reticle Or something similar for hunting purposes, but I am not aware of all the companies that offer such reticle.

This is for a Mauser hunting rig preferably a 30 mm main tube.

Any suggestions

German #4 reticle and its variants are offered by quite a few companies.

Meopta has a couple of different versions of it. The 30mm tube product lines are Meostar R1 and R2 and Optica6

Vortex Razor HD-LHT 3-15x50 has the G4-BDC reticle which is an evolution of the #4. This one is 30mm as well.

There are plenty of others.

ILya

German #4 reticle and its variants are offered by quite a few companies.

Meopta has a couple of different versions of it. The 30mm tube product lines are Meostar R1 and R2 and Optica6

Vortex Razor HD-LHT 3-15x50 has the G4-BDC reticle which is an evolution of the #4. This one is 30mm as well.

There are plenty of others.

ILya

What’s the name Meopta uses for their version of the reticle I see several on their website.

What’s the name Meopta uses for their version of the reticle I see several on their website.
It appears Meopta simply call it their "4" reticle. They also have two illuminated versions called "4C" and "4K".

If you're on a budget, Camera Land NY has the Burris Four X 1.5-6x42 marked down to $299.99. It has a #4 reticle with an illuminated center dot. Very happy with the one I bought to put on my .308 bolt action carbine.

The German #4 is my favorite short(ish) range hunting reticle. I find the more open top half to be a bit less distracting than a typical duplex style.

Reactions: gnochi
The first real scope I bought was a Leupold varixlll and I had the custom shop put a German 4 in it. If I shoot at any distance I rangefind and dial. But for 99% it’s up close and the thinner top line just looks cleaner.
38C5B5E7-2EA2-4137-A9FD-2BE155AF5DF9.jpeg

E8A50171-5734-4E31-B2C3-D0631669C5A3.jpeg

@Team RCBS & Bushnell dont you dare put this in the elite line or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: carbonbased
Curious here . . . Are people in the U.S. interested in the German #4?

Leupold offers a center dot illuminated German #4 in their VXR line. I have one in a 2-7x33

It’s about as close to perfect as a scope can get for hunting Southeast whitetails 150 yards and in - typical timber hunting here. Nothing will beat it for pure deer and hog hunting at that range in timber.

It’s about as close to perfect as a scope can get for hunting Southeast whitetails 150 yards and in - typical timber hunting here. Nothing will beat it for pure deer and hog hunting at that range in timber.
A 1-4X or 1-6X with a daylight bright 4i reticle beats it hands down. European hunters are pros at shooting game on the run with them on bolt action rifles.

Plenty of vids on youtube.

Lots of RDS on bolt guns there too.

All Aimpoints, but same same with LPVO on 1X

A 1-4X or 1-6X with a daylight bright 4i reticle beats it hands down. European hunters are pros at shooting game on the run with them on bolt action rifles.

Plenty of vids on youtube.

Lots of RDS on bolt guns there too.

All Aimpoints, but same same with LPVO on 1X

Maybe for the Europeans it works better for them, but your statement “hands down” beats it is completely wrong.

Notice I said for hunting whitetail deer and hogs in Georgia or really anywhere in the Southeast.

I base my opinion on spending many hours in the Georgia and South Carolina woods chasing deer for over 3 decades.

The good news is we can have polar opposite opinions and choose whatever we want to buy and use.

I topped an old 7x57 with a 4x Zeiss with German #1 - like its cousin the #4, it is one heckuva low light reticle.

An upside down variant of my well used SUIT, almost.

It's not just in Europe, though they seem to utilize it to full effect a lot more.

Watch that posted video & notice the leads & reticle boldness.

"Hands down" a few posts above is entirely accurate; I too have shot GA hogs & the rabbits you south-easterners call deer, as well as hogs, trotters & whitetail up north.

Last edited:
I topped an old 7x57 with a 4x Zeiss with German #1 - like its cousin the #4, it is one heckuva low light optic.

An upside down variant of my well used SUIT, almost.

It's not just in Europe, though they seem to utilize it to full effect a lot more.

Watch that posted video & notice the leads & boldness.

"Hands down" a few posts above is entirely accurate; I too have shot GA hogs & the rabbits you south-easterners call deer, as well as hogs, trotters & whitetail up north.

Nope. You are wrong as well. That Aim point scope in the hog video with only a red dot is NOT superior for hunting whitetail deer in the Southeast.

That hunting scenario in the video would be an outlier, not a norm.

The German #4 by Leupold has center red dot illumination as well.

I can go into great detail about my position, but I have my opinion and you have yours.

I will begin my 38th year chasing whitetails in Georgia this hunting season and that is what I am basing my opinion on - not a video.

You buy what you want, and so will I. There are many great choices.

One last thing, because I read 308pirate's post quickly.

I thought you were saying a red dot or reflex sight would be tops - which I would not agree with - I missed the German #1 part.

Saying a German #1 or German #4 is superior to the other for timber whitetails would be splitting hairs - if they both had center dot illumination like on the VXR line.

I would say the best choice would be environmental and as always... personal flavor.

Usually the 1-4 or 1-6 optics objective diameter is it's hindrance.

I’ll put this down to old age, experience, them antlered cottontails and a lack of carrots.

Rock on, old timer.

One last thing, because I read 308pirate's post quickly.

I thought you were saying a red dot or reflex sight would be tops - which I would not agree with - I missed the German #1 part.

Saying a German #1 or German #4 is superior to the other for timber whitetails would be splitting hairs - if they both had center dot illumination like on the VXR line.

I would say the best choice would be environmental and as always... personal flavor.

Usually the 1-4 or 1-6 optics objective diameter is it's hindrance.

I’ll put this down to old age, experience, them antlered cottontails and a lack of carrots.

Rock on, old timer.

LOL. You or me? I’m kind of in the middle at 49. Got my first BB gun at 7. Began hunting deer with my dad at age 11.

I know I’m hard headed at times, but I’m always open for learning more.

I know I’m hard headed at times, but I’m always open for learning more.
Then you should probably consider that deer and pig hunters in central Europe are used to shooting fast moving game in dense woods one day and taking shots across 2 - 400 meter fields from a stand the next.

Basically, your GA woods are not unique and your solution to the problem isn't the only one that will work there.

Bring back the magic Zeiss reticle 69! I have it in a Victory Varipoint 2.5-10x50 but I would love it in a 6-24 or something similar too.
It is a tiny dot in the second focal plane for daytime use or a first focal plane small cross for low light. Quite unique, and I suspect more costly to produce.

1599119997904.png

Gentlemen I am looking for a German style reticle Or something similar for hunting purposes, but I am not aware of all the companies that offer such reticle.

This is for a Mauser hunting rig preferably a 30 mm main tube.

Any suggestions
Have you found one yet, I know it's a couple months later but wondering what you found or if still looking.

Reviving this thread as I have the same interest. I must say I like the Vortex Razor LHT G4i, but with this price you are not far from Zeiss/Minox levels, where I think glass quality will be even better.

But maybe there are even some new models out there already. So which scopes are there in the 800 - 1000 dollar range with a G4 reticle?

All of my rifles run Meopta #4 reticles.

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.09.54 AM.png

Now, if only my dream of the Meopta #4 mating upside down with the Meopta MRAD would happen, I could have the non-battery powered, low-light, ranging reticle of my dreams. (Yes, I know the graphic I made is horrible, but you get the drift.)

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.36.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.36.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 6.36.45 PM.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: A.Redd