Hunting & Fishing Getting rid of a bobcat

Clintd24

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2009
Texas, USA
Hey guys I have a problem and like to know if anyone has any advice. I have a ranch in South Texas and on this place I have a 100 acre high fence pen that I have been raising some exotics in. A bobcat has made his way in there and will not leave. He has been seen twice inside the high fence over the last 4 months. I have tried calling it and just recently set up a live trap and rebaited it last night. So far no luck. I want this thing gone asap because I have a bunch of babies on the ground right now. Do people have or use dogs for bobcats? I figure dogs in 100 acres should tree him quick but I dont know. Ill appreciate any advice.

Re: Getting rid of a bobcat

Shoot we got Hide members in Texas who would probably do that for free beer and ammo.

Hell if I was there I'd be up for some relaxed guard duty.

If you do go for calling, they're very visual as well. Get you a big turkey feather and tie some fishing line to it and hang it bout 10-12 inches below a branch of a tree. That feather flicking in the wind will usually get/hold his attention when coming to the call. They can take 30-40 minutes to come into a call, so be patient. They also like the bird distress sounds.

You could do the same above your live trap to get him close enough to see the bait....

Good luck and post us the pix if you get him.

Cheers,
Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the hunting seasons for Bobcats in Texas? I say take the little shit out, either due to the danger it puts on your livestock, or if its in season game on...</div></div>

Im really not sure if or when the season is. But Im going to take my chances. Little shit costing me money. He is living like a king in there for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot we got Hide members in Texas who would probably do that for free beer and ammo.

Hell if I was there I'd be up for some relaxed guard duty.
</div></div>

Good Idea. If there is someone in the area with experience that wants to hunt a bobcat send me a pm. Place is in Alice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do go for calling, they're very visual as well. Get you a big turkey feather and tie some fishing line to it and hang it bout 10-12 inches below a branch of a tree. That feather flicking in the wind will usually get/hold his attention when coming to the call. They can take 30-40 minutes to come into a call, so be patient. They also like the bird distress sounds.

You could do the same above your live trap to get him close enough to see the bait....

Good luck and post us the pix if you get him.

Cheers,
Breeze</div></div>

Thanks for that info. Im going out there this evening to check my trap. I do have a caller I bought just for this guy and used twice with no luck. Probably cause Im a beginner. If I call do you have a certain call sound you recommend and time of day?

Agreed on the feather from a branch or make your own setup with a couple of sticks and hang it from a piece of thread so it blows in the gentlest breeze. Get a $200 FoxPro Spit fire and use the bird distress or woodpecker in distress, whatever that sound is.

What are you raising, there might even be a distress call for them out there, if so the bobcat has heard that sound before and will think it's meal time again. Get some decent camo cover and DON'T MOVE or they'll spot you.

If you are inexperienced at calling then the cat probably busted you already. Good camo/cover, No movement, continuos calling, and a decoy will do it. They can take up to an hour to come in. Mojo Dove or woodpecker decoys are good.
Listen to this podcast too. Episode 18 is all about bobcats.
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=34247&pageNumber=1&pageSize=15

Running dogs is a great option too. They run them just like you would a Mt Lion/Bear/Coon etc.

How tall is your high fence and do you have it going under ground at all. A bobcat will make holes under the fence and cross there at the same hole religously. You can set up a snair there. Also if he has killed any animals is he doing it in the same area? If he/she is is there any trails drainages, or natural travel routes? They love to follow funnles, creeks, etc.

One thing you may want to try with your trap is buy some fresh urine, there are probable alot of people in the area that sell it. Female urine try first, they are very territoial. Good luck and I hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are inexperienced at calling then the cat probably busted you already. Good camo/cover, No movement, continuos calling, and a decoy will do it. They can take up to an hour to come in. Mojo Dove or woodpecker decoys are good.
Listen to this podcast too. Episode 18 is all about bobcats.
http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=34247&pageNumber=1&pageSize=15

Running dogs is a great option too. They run them just like you would a Mt Lion/Bear/Coon etc.
</div></div>

Nice vid. Thank for the link. I added it to the fav list

The fastest way to be rid of it is to contact an experienced bobcat hunter. We have a website, TN Predators dot com, that functions as a clearing house and has a "Help Me!" E-mail address for folks in Tennessee in need of predator removal. Just a quick look in the Internet and I see Texas hunting forum dot com, Tx predator posse dot com and Texas varmint hunter dot com. And there's always predator masters forums dot com.

But I guarantee you there is a hunter within driving distance of your place who is champing at the bit for the opportunity to harvest that cat. One of those web sites is bound to have contact information for someone looking for just such an opportunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mulie_mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How tall is your high fence and do you have it going under ground at all. A bobcat will make holes under the fence and cross there at the same hole religously. You can set up a snair there. Also if he has killed any animals is he doing it in the same area? If he/she is is there any trails drainages, or natural travel routes? They love to follow funnles, creeks, etc.

One thing you may want to try with your trap is buy some fresh urine, there are probable alot of people in the area that sell it. Female urine try first, they are very territoial. Good luck and I hope that helps.</div></div>

thanks for the info. its 8ft fence. I have three holes under the fence and a snare on each of them which leads me to believe he is staying in there. Snares have been set out since he was first spotted. Will a cat waste time climbing a fence that is 8 ft. I assumed he will be going under. am I wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The fastest way to be rid of it is to contact an experienced bobcat hunter. We have a website, TN Predators dot com, that functions as a clearing house and has a "Help Me!" E-mail address for folks in Tennessee in need of predator removal. Just a quick look in the Internet and I see Texas hunting forum dot com, Tx predator posse dot com and Texas varmint hunter dot com. And there's always predator masters forums dot com.

But I guarantee you there is a hunter within driving distance of your place who is champing at the bit for the opportunity to harvest that cat. One of those web sites is bound to have contact information for someone looking for just such an opportunity.</div></div>

Thanks for that info. Im going to give it one more go this weekend on my own. If no luck than that might be the way to go. I would love to get this thing myself but I cant get him Im not to hard headed to let someone else have at it under the circumstances.

I have a good buddy that is a State Trapper here in texas he is in the Comstock Del Rio area....he uses snares and leg traps baited with cotton balls soaked with bobcat piss for bait, he get a lot of cats that way.

Snaring bobcats is not as easy as it looks, they can slip through a small loop, I use light cable and load it and use locks that move easy, they will fall with a slight touch! Leg hold trapping a bobcat is a piece of cake, curiosity always kills the cat.

I seriously wish that I was in Texas. I'd do it for a good price too.
grin.gif

D24,

It doesn't matter what the season is, when a predator hits your livestock on your property, all bets are off. I've got a small farm in South MS and with goats, ducks and chickens....it's a constant dinner bell being rung at my hilltop buffet. Originally we were only shooting pred's reactively, but it doesn't take long for them to really kill a lot of your investment or profits.

That's when I got into calling, nightvision, suppression and whatever else to get out on my place and try to actively take these guys out. If they're close enough to hear your call, then they were just waiting on a chance to come by and raid your henhouse.

Ditto on what the other lads said, start reading the predator hunters websites and begin to understand how the critter thinks, acts and reacts. Then bust his ass!

Good Luck with it,
Breeze

Dont waste time with the calls. Order some #1 1/2 size cool spring traps. dig a small hole bait it with some sort of cat piss or buy the commercial bait when you order your traps. A ob cat is pretty easy to trap and the first animal I ever caught.

I bet there is a local that would handle it would you. The texas trapper and predator assocation

Here is the contact.

http://txtrappers.com/districts

These guys will help.

Might try them first before you get the feline too spooked.

No hunting season for varmint in texas. Borrow a fox pro(electronic calling device) or buy one, break out the spotlight with some red seran rap over the end, find a good spot with some open area, get in the back of the pickup and call that thing up and bust it. Or like somone said earlier ask around and I am sure somone won't mind coming and getting it for you. We hunt them all the time our here in west texas. They are pretty weary, got to be pretty still and quite to get them to come up. Good luck.

There is in fact no bobcat season in tx as mentioned previously. There is however a trapping license bit with snairs already out that's out the window. This is to protect your animals. Also I assume those animals you want to protect are the reason that the snairs are bot working. Outside of your 100 acres a bobcat has to not only find the animal but catch it and kill it in the open. Seeing as though it is a 100 acres to raise exotics I'm guessing animal population is high. Also pros for the bobcat consist of not very young native game this time of year. And the infamous corner. Of a bobcat does track something down to kill and eat and gets it one of those corners of the property it's toast. But the same pros for him work for you as well. Only so many places he could be in a 100 acre fenced area. You want to be smart about this or he will leave your property but almost cereal fly not for ever. It's a heavenly set up for a pretador. I live in Abilene tx and have a ranch uder an hour away. In the past I have trapped manny bobcats with the conventional. Dirt hole set a lil urine and something to catch there eye and another smell. Usually use a little piece of rabbit fur with a small chunk of FRESH meat down in the dirt hole. Something that I started expiramenting with last year is rooster for bait. Cost me 10 dollars i personally like steel duke number 2s for cats. I steak the rooster down set up about a 6 foot funnel with logs and other available surroundings. A nice cactus patch works well for one side. Put your trap offset or 2 if u wish at the entry of the funnel. It appeals to smell sight and sound to them. Those things makes much noise. And it is so obscure they can't help but to want it. In the end curiosity kills the cat

I would agree with all the other posts, use a call or trap it. The dogs will tree it but the bobcat will jump out and take off again.The cat will do this over and over before you can get to it to kill it. If the dogs do get it cornered the cat always wins and the dogs get cut up real bad. That's the exprience we have always had with bobcats here while we were coon hunting.Maybe other type dogs would work but coon dogs sure take a thrashing. Just my 2 cents...Good luck and keep us posted.

Great thread. Had a late night last week and came home to a bobcat that made several passes across my front yard, residential Frisco, literally within 7 yards but trotting at a decent pace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ky 606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would agree with all the other posts, use a call or trap it. The dogs will tree it but the bobcat will jump out and take off again.The cat will do this over and over before you can get to it to kill it. If the dogs do get it cornered the cat always wins and the dogs get cut up real bad. That's the exprience we have always had with bobcats here while we were coon hunting.Maybe other type dogs would work but coon dogs sure take a thrashing. Just my 2 cents...Good luck and keep us posted. </div></div>

vie never hunted with coon dogs but i have stood by and watched on separate occasions both a german wire hair and a catahoula/ black mouth cur mix kill bobcats. both times they held up in thick cactus patches. only thing the dogs suffered was a face full of needles, the cats on the other hand didn't get off so easy.

I know a man in throckmorton Tx that runs dogs specifically for bobcats. he's in his later years now, but 30 or so years ago spent 5 years in Big Bend commissioned by the state trapping and dogging Mountain Lions. Hell of a guy to listen to stories from, and even better photo books nothing like some old faded sepia photos of big cats hanging from a tree limb.