• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Getting Started

Afkirby

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Mechanicsville, MD
I've been lurking around this board for probably a year and a half, but this is my first time posting. I'm thinking about getting into precision shooting and I'm looking for some guidance. Although I'd love to drop the money on a TRG22 or some other custom 308 rifle, I'm in college right now so money is a little tight. I built a del-ton 16" carbine ar15 kit and I like the platform, so I was thinking about building a more "precision" "spr-ish" AR. What do you think of this setup?

18" White Oak Barrel with matching bolt
Regular flat top upper
Free float handguards, I'm thinking either Larue or Daniel Defense
A nice trigger, either a 2 stage, or maybe a trigger worked by Bill Springfield
Either an A2 buttstock, a Magpul CTR or PRS, I haven't decided yet.

Also what bolt carrier assembly would you all recommend? I have heard that Bravo Company is the new trend, but I have never handled any of their products.

I know this build is a little more in depth than just putting a lower together, but I'm fairly handy so I think I'll be ok putting the upper together.

Re: Getting Started

Sounds like a fine setup.

The Bravo bolt is GTG they make good stuff. Daniel Defense makes a nice MPI one too.

You'll want a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel (you probably already knew this) and you'll want at least a bare bones reloading rig to roll your own 75-77gr OTM rounds.

You could also consider building a custom .308 AR using mostly DPMS parts. You might be able to put together a nice gun with a bit more power for a similar price. But then again the loading for the .223 would probably better fit your college budget.

Thanks for the encouragement, I've been saving my brass for the day that I get a reloading set up. I still have to decide what scope I want. I was thinking of a variable around 2-10 power with a mildot reticle in a larue mount, or possibly a set of high rings.

Reloading will set you free.

I'd rather have the larue mount over the high rings, gives you QD and repeatability.

The falcon menace isn't a bad option but I have no clear recomendation when it comes to glass. (Improvements have been made over the past decade so there are good compromises but you still get what you pay for)