• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Glock 19

Re: Glock 19

I've put a good amount of everything through my 17, from win white box to harnady TAP, golden saber, powerball, even wolf. But as far as weight goes, I have the best luck with 147grn from hornady in my handloads over 3.5grns titegroup for uspsa/ipsc or general plinking loads. Tight groups, negligable muzzle flip, and its quite a cost saving load. Jut watch out for lead rounds, I have read that because of the polygonal rifling in the factory barrels, that leading and unsafe conditions can ensue. Thats why I dropped in a Storm Lake match barrel. It was about $200 if i recall, and it will outshoot my beretta 92 from my pistol rest, which is quite a feat, and lead rounds are no problem.

The only round I've ever seen give a problem is the 124 speer gold dot.The ammo was loaded slightly over max length and would'nt feed in "some"G19s.They may have changed the spec on the ammo this was about 5 years ago.other then that you will be hard pressed to find anything that it won't feed.And combat accuracy will be more then enough with any quality hp out.

My G17 groups just fine for me with the white 100 round box of Winchester 115gr ball from Wally World. The accuracy with those exceeds my current marksmanship skill, and for $20 per 100 I can afford to shoot more often.

The Glock 19 is a terrible pistol that won't shoot any bullet weight well. They are inaccurate, cheap pieces of plastic junk.

Send yours to me for proper disposal. I'll IM you my address.

Don't thank me now, it's my duty to protect you from bad guns.

wink.gif

I've always had good luck with 115 and 124 grain ammo.

Shoot snything but test the round if you plan to carry it. I carry 147 Gold Dot HP in a 19 & 26.
Glock doesn't recommend lead in the factory barrel.

147 gr is subsonic... It's all I buy now. Win whitebox 147 gr HP are on sale every now and again at Midway but sell out the same day... Every time they come up I get 500. The Winchester Ranger 147 gr bonded is AMAZING and is my carry ammo.

My experience is like the other posters'. I have not had a problem with any ammo in my G19.

My G19 has gotten to feed on wide range of 9mm ammo including whatever I can get a deal on for range time.

Try a few out and see which ones you think work best for your intended purposes.

Mine eats all kinds of FMJ ammo well, I mostly use Fiocchi 123 or 115 grain. Seems to like 115 grain best though, but there is hardly any difference.

Range/Practice:
- Winchester White Box "WWB" 115grn. FMJ
- Blazer Brass 115grn. FMJ
- Fiocchi 115grn. FMJ

SD/HD:
- Speer Gold Dots 124grn.+P HP
- Winchester Ranger SXT 147grn. HP
- Federal HST 147grn. HP
<span style="font-style: italic">
* Agree: Feed it just about anything quality & non-corrosive. </span>

Have a great one,
FTK

Where you may have problems is the ligther loads with a shooter that has a tendency to limp wrist the gun. Shooting a 125 grn +p+ or a 147 grn may give you just enough oomphf to overcome a light grip. If you have average shooting skills, you should have no problems, regardless of the bullet weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The G19 is my fav. carry gun. Stick with the lighter bullets.... </div></div>

Why lighter bullets? Why would your sacrifice penetration and increase recoil for no gain?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only round I've ever seen give a problem is the 124 speer gold dot.The ammo was loaded slightly over max length and would'nt feed in "some"G19s.They may have changed the spec on the ammo this was about 5 years ago.other then that you will be hard pressed to find anything that it won't feed.And combat accuracy will be more then enough with any quality hp out. </div></div>

Speer must have fixed the issue. I've run over 500 through my G19 and the Wifes G34 without a single problem.

I've never had a situation where any of my G19's dislike what they've been fed. I, like many others, even shoot Wolf without hesitation. Home defense load is 124gr. Ranger Talons (couldn't find the 127's). No problems with that load either.

Only one thing to watch out for (as far as I know) is the polygonal rifling situation described above.

Lead bullets are not an issue, as long as you clean the barrels..........
IF you cast your own, or know someone that does, making them harder, will enable you to shot them as much as you want, and at any speed.
No leading...............
I personally ,like the Cor Bon 115's, or the 124's.........
Smokin........and are not as over penetrative as 147's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The G19 is my fav. carry gun. Stick with the lighter bullets.... </div></div>

Why lighter bullets? Why would your sacrifice penetration and increase recoil for no gain?</div></div>

From my POV the lighter bullets have less recoil and high veocity... and that means the bullet will expand fully causing more damage with less risk of over penetration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The G19 is my fav. carry gun. Stick with the lighter bullets.... </div></div>

Why lighter bullets? Why would your sacrifice penetration and increase recoil for no gain?</div></div>

From my POV the lighter bullets have less recoil and high veocity... and that means the bullet will expand fully causing more damage with less risk of over penetration. </div></div>

Lighter bullets have more recoil. This is based on the law of physics. F=mv^2

"Over penetration" suggests that you will never miss. Are you THAT confident in your shooting skills?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I'm certainly no scientist but it seems to me heavier bullets have more recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nervous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a used Glock 19 in 9X19 yesterday. Can anyone tell me what weight bullet their Glock 19 likes? This is my first Glock.

Thanks,
Nervous </div></div>

I like the cheapest weight bullets, they shoot the best out of my G19.

The 127grain Ranger SXT +P+ has .357 Mag like velocity and soft tissue damage through a Glock 34 or 35 with the longer 9mm barrel. A friend sat in on an autoposy of an individual that had multiple hits from that round in Glock 34 or 35's. It sold him on how well they work and now his department uses them exclusively for issue duty ammo.

Darin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoots anything. </div></div>

What he said.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I'm certainly no scientist but it seems to me heavier bullets have more recoil.

</div></div>
Downzero is correct. Lighter bullets have more recoil energy in this 9mm example below. I am not a scientist, but as an engineer, this is simple physics and math stuff. I will dispense with the math details and give you the results:

Glock 19 fully loaded, 4" BBL, 9mm Luger 115 gr bullet at 1175 fps
Recoil Energy = 4.59 ft-lb

Same G19 with 147 gr bullet at 950 fps
Recoil Energy = 4.35 ft-lb

So in this case the lighter bullet has about 5% more recoil energy.

Proof to dispense the myth that lighter bullets have less recoil and heavier bullets have more recoil. These assumptions in this case are incorrect.

Thanks Downzero for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjb2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how does newton's second law and linear momentum play into the "felt recoil" equation ? Also, my "experience" is that slower powders provide more of a "push" rather than a sharp kick and result in higher velocity as well. </div></div>

Also wrong. There is a reason why pistol competitors use faster burning powder. It significantly reduces felt recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjb2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how does newton's second law and linear momentum play into the "felt recoil" equation ? Also, my "experience" is that slower powders provide more of a "push" rather than a sharp kick and result in higher velocity as well. </div></div>

Also wrong. There is a reason why pistol competitors use faster burning powder. It significantly reduces felt recoil. </div></div>
Downzero is correct again. The recoil energy is the same for a slow or fast burning powder. The physics and resultant energy is the same. But as Downzero indicates, some people feel the recoil is reduced. The recoil is the same, it only matters what works for the shooter. I lifted this statement from IMR that sums it up nicely and is a better authority than myself:

Some people think slow burning powders produce less recoil. What they perceive is the longer time it takes the powder to reach peak pressure, which gives the same recoil as a faster burning powder, just over a longer period of time. Others like the faster burning powders which peak quicker, although still the same recoil, just a shorter period of recoil. Perception can be everything to a shooter, so he should shoot what he “feels” is the most comfortable.

GLOCKS dont care what you feed them as long as you feed them factory.

ANY reload will VOID any and all warranty, parts whatever.

ALL KaBooms were traced back to NON-FACTORY ammuntion.

so shoot away with all the cheap, not so cheap, heavy, light ammo you can get your hands on, so long as its factory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GLOCKS dont care what you feed them as long as you feed them factory.

ANY reload will VOID any and all warranty, parts whatever.

ALL KaBooms were traced back to NON-FACTORY ammuntion.

so shoot away with all the cheap, not so cheap, heavy, light ammo you can get your hands on, so long as its factory.
</div></div>

The kaboom'd glocks came from shooting hot loads in unsupported chambers. The 10mm ammo in the late 80's all of the sudden became suspect because of the Glock chambers. Even factory stuff was toasting G20's because of the .15" or so of Brass only support at the base of the case.

If memory serves me properly Winchester made a public service statement about shooting their older lots of 10mm ammo in an "unsupported chamber" which was thinly veiled "No Glocks".

I love my G20, but the factory barrel bellies the brass out something aweful, I get comparable loads from my drop in 40SW barrel with a fully supported chamber because the brass isn't supporting the pressures all by itself.

Shoot reloads all you want in a Glock, just work into the max loads and watch the brass. Reloads in just about any firearm void the warranty, few if any manufacturers will warranty against a homeroller doing something they shouldn't

Recoil is a momentum based calculation at the start, you launch a bullet mass and powder mass out the barrel at a given velocity, the gun has a mass of its own and recoils backwards at a velocity proportional to the velocity of the ejecta (bullet and powder). In other words, there is an exact equivalence between mass times velocity in each direction. Note that velocity is not squared at this point. Then, you take the velocity of gun going backwards and apply that kinetic energy formula listed above.
So, in general, for a given case, pressure, etc., if dropping down in bullet weight lets you increase velocity by a greater percentage than the loss of bullet mass, your recoil will go up, or, vice versa.

Oh, I love my G19's. the Black Hills 124 +P gold dot at better than 1250fps rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoots anything. </div></div>

What he said..... </div></div>

Same here but it does seem to prefer the heavier weights for pure accuracy.