• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

GM210 primer issues

CEshooter

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2022
Minnesota
I was trying some new handloads out the other day and out of around 25 rounds fired, I had these two duds that happened. Both rounds were rechambered after the initial misfire and I attempted to fire them again with no luck. All of the rounds fired would have been loaded in the same session and used Federal GM210M. I haven't had this issue with any other rounds fired in this rifle so where would I start looking to pin down the "why" of where my issue lies?

Eh0jahk.jpeg

rFo5dka.jpeg

I was trying some new handloads out the other day and out of around 25 rounds fired, I had these two duds that happened. Both rounds were rechambered after the initial misfire and I attempted to fire them again with no luck. All of the rounds fired would have been loaded in the same session and used Federal GM210M. I haven't had this issue with any other rounds fired in this rifle so where would I start looking to pin down the "why" of where my issue lies?
Are you 100% sure you charged those two cases? Cant tell if you pulled them apart in that picture...

Well awesome, it looks like I did a great job at drawing attention to me being dumb. nn8734 gets the gold star for tonight for the accurate assumption.

I hadn't had time to pull the bullets yet, but I figured I could take a few seconds and throw them on the scale and see what showed up and sure enough, both of the "duds" are roughly 40 grains lighter than the other rounds that I hadn't shot yet.

I guess I was due for an ego check in that I've loaded enough rounds to start to think I had a system down but not long enough to not make mistakes like this.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Well awesome, it looks like I did a great job at drawing attention to me being dumb. nn8734 gets the gold star for tonight for the accurate assumption.

I hadn't had time to pull the bullets yet, but I figured I could take a few seconds and throw them on the scale and see what showed up and sure enough, both of the "duds" are roughly 40 grains lighter than the other rounds that I hadn't shot yet.

I guess I was due for an ego check in that I've loaded enough rounds to start to think I had a system down but not long enough to not make mistakes like this.

I did the same thing a couple months ago where for the firsts time in like 7 or 8 years I had one that didn't fire, only to find out I hadn't charged the case. My process is such I didn't think I could overlook charging a case and can't figure out how that happened. So, I just blame it on my advanced age. ;)

No assumption, just a question - one borne out of experience doing it plenty of times myself (mostly 5.56 prior to moving to a Dillon 750). This is the best possible outcome for you. I'd much rather find out I made an honest mistake (being human and all) then have to potentially write off "x" number of primers due to a potential defect in them...

Loaded 1000s upon 1000s of rounds since 2012 without issue. I finally failed to charge one round last year. A good reminder to be vigilant……

For precision ammo I use 50-round loading blocks . I charge the entire block in a session. When I finish charging, when I pick up the block, I look into every case to be sure there is powder in every case. I don't glance, I look. 50 cases, 50 looks.

In some cases, this is more trickier with a Dillon. I use a 550B. Has anyone invented a small mirror that can be attached to the die-holding-block so I can look for powder before I drop a bullet into the case? If such a thing exists, especially if it had a light to illuminate the powder, I would buy one. I'm thinking that the 1050 and maybe some of the lower numbers have a station to detect if the case is empty?