• Fast is Fine, Accuracy is Final

New tee just dropped. Shop now!

Grab yours

Going to call this the "Unpopular Opinion" thread and I have some thoughts...

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    To start this thread off, I find that mayonnaise is by far the most vile of condiments to ever exist. It tastes like paste (aka glue) on a sandwich and has no place in our culture. So many dips & similar products use mayonnaise as a base ingredient and it completely overwhelms the flavor profile because even with all the spices that are thrown in, it still tastes like well spiced "glue".

And for some reason all of the fast food burger joints have incorporated mayo into their products and it's at best a 50/50 shot when you explicitly specify in your order to exclude the mayo that when you open up your bag that damned if you don't have a double helping of mayo on your burger. It's beyond infuriating.

Fight me on this.

-LD

200w (2).gif

Here's another group while I'm voicing my unpopular opinions- morning people. Holy balls if there isn't a more insufferable group out there it must be the bike riders going 10 mph on a road that is at a minimum 45mph. And for some crazy reason, the world, at least the business world, works around these morning people.

No- I have no interest in your 7am meeting, my "night owl butt" was up until at least 2am solving the world's problems and dang it, I fully plan on being asleep at 7am. I don't care if you were up at 4am, what the hell were you doing between 10pm-2am while I was solving all of our problems, let me sleep dammit and no- that doesn't make me lazy it just puts me on a different schedule than you're on.

-LD

To start this thread off, I find that mayonnaise is by far the most vile of condiments to ever exist. It tastes like paste (aka glue) on a sandwich and has no place in our culture. So many dips & similar products use mayonnaise as a base ingredient and it completely overwhelms the flavor profile because even with all the spices that are thrown in, it still tastes like well spiced "glue".

And for some reason all of the fast food burger joints have incorporated mayo into their products and it's at best a 50/50 shot when you explicitly specify in your order to exclude the mayo that when you open up your bag that damned if you don't have a double helping of mayo on your burger. It's beyond infuriating.

Fight me on this.

-LD
    like mayo? read the ingredient label. nothing there that resembles food. agree,the most disgusting condiment in a world full of disgusting condiments.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    3rd group in my unpopular opinion bucket- ex/former smokers. Holy fuck have you ever met a more condescending group than them? I finally quit the cancer sticks several years ago and did that for my own reasons. But god damn, there are some of these "ex-smokers" that would make even a Jehovah Witness missionary blush.

-LD

• Haha
    Reactions: mosin46 and Cody S
    Maybe try making your own mayo from high-quality basic ingredients.
    I've got a raspberry version I like - forget what it goes on though.
    Not trying to call you out specifically, but mayo is a non starter to me. Its texture resembles glue and if you leave it in the sun for a couple of hours, it'll start to grow hair. I know there's an internal discussion amongst the mayo fanbase on Dukes, Hellmans, etc, but I find any form of mayonnaise to be absolutely off-putting and if there's even a hint of it in whatever dip at a BBQ, that's the only flavor profile I can taste and it becomes an immediate non-starter for me.

I know lots of folks love their mayo, hence why this was in the "unpopular opinion thread" but that a big NOPE from me.

-LD

Reactions: Cody S
    mayo is mostly fat right? I bet it's good for you.(that's my unpopular opinion)
    a few years ago I started cutting carbs and concentrating on eating all the protein(fish, steak, chicken), still mostly fried but however, and fats I wanted. lost significant weight, have more energy and I seem to fight viral infections better than when i was eating poorly and overweight.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    mayo is mostly fat right? I bet it's good for you.(that's my unpopular opinion)
    a few years ago I started cutting carbs and concentrating on eating all the protein(fish, steak, chicken), still mostly fried but however, and fats I wanted. lost significant weight, have more energy and I seem to fight viral infections better than when i was eating poorly and overweight.
    That's more than fair and I won't give you any crap for that opinion. I just absolutely despise mayonnaise beyond any other condiment and if there's even a hint of it, that's the only thing I can taste and absolutely ruins whatever it is I'm trying to eat. I. Hate. Mayonnaise.

-LD

Maybe try making your own mayo from high-quality basic ingredients.
    I've got a raspberry version I like - forget what it goes on though.
    The natural world as well as all things holy would dispute your suggestion. The devil himself convinced the world that mayonnaise was anything more than an acceptable condiment and I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. I will die on this hill, there isn't a more offensive condiment that exists in this world aside from mayonnaise.

-LD

#5 (there might actually be a correlation between #4 & 5) but for the life of me, I cannot understand why we insist on playing the National Anthem at the start of sporting events. I may surprise you that I understand where the practice originated from but I don't hold much amusement from false displays of patriotism, especially at that level. Either put up or shut up and patriotism doesn't need to be/shouldn't be a box to check in grade school/high school/ college/ semi professional /or professional games for that matter. Just the inclusion of that part of nationalism diminishes what that anthem stands for. I'll say this much, it doesn't mean a god damned thing about your midget or High School Football Team.

Again, fight me on this.

-LD

can't go with that one. one of my fav addicting substances. i will say that the weak coffee obtainable in rural areas like mine is horrible in may ways. a x strength colada? different beast. but,i like a lot of cuban stuff,including their women who are big time hot and ALL completely insane.

Fight me on this.

-LD
    https://tenor.com/view/how-dare-you-screaming-lady-rage-angry-gif-15730816

• Haha
    can't go with that one. one of my fav addicting substances. i will say that the weak coffee obtainable in rural areas like mine is horrible in may ways. a x strength colada? different beast. but,i like a lot of cuban stuff,including their women who are big time hot and ALL completely insane.
    Hah, I'll be your Huckleberry,

I just love this couple and their review of coffee. They seem to have a great marriage.

-LD

I hate coffee, it tastes like dirt flavored water to me. I do like the smell of coffee. My dream is the people will stop buying me coffee cups as gifts.
    My wife is the same way actually. I had to significantly cut down on my coffee intake myself because the caffeine doesn't play nicely with me but I can still enjoy the occasional cup and possibly explore more expensive options since I drink as little of it as I do now.

-LD

Unpopular opinion #7- we've got some rather major societal problems today. I grew up learning about the house where the "gas pumper" raised their family and now we're reading Reddit threads 40 years later on how 2 college trained engineers are struggling to afford rent these days. Opinions are likely vast but in my opinion, but this isn't sustainable and likely leading us to even harder times.

-LD

Last edited:
    #8- we've seen a decades long societal shift of decline in participation in local organizations (masons, lions, KOC's, VFW's, AL's, Lion's Clubs, Rotary Clubs, etc.) not because of a perceived generational change in supporting local community but rather because of a shift in financial priorities and the subsequent lack of disposable income to support local efforts.

-LD

Your comment, while you likely consider to be clever is why you'll never achieve greatness. You're stuck thinking "inside a box".

Think about this...

When the Soviets were greatly out producing our tank production, somebody had to sit there in a meeting and say- hey, why don't we develop a gun that will beat their tanks and build a plane around it? AND THEN, they had to sell that idea.. hence the birth of the A-10.

Or how about when we were faced with Soviet anti-air missiles and someone had to be the contrarian and suggest we build a plane that flew above their missile range?

Or, on the same thread, what if we built a plane (after Gary Powers was shot down) that flew faster than their missiles and led to the birth of the SR-71 Blackbird?

My point is that you're likely shortsighted in your thinking. You seem to get enjoyment out of casting judgement on me because I think differently. There's likely a whole lot of directions I can go with that comment but... hey, I'll just say that I wish you the best and hope you can maintain your superiority of judging contrasting opinions.

-LD

#10, and this isn't exactly original but I'll say it and end my tantrum with an even number. Unpopular opinion #10 is it's beyond ridiculous how folks cheer on their "team". On the professional sports level, most seem to gravitate to their geographical location, on the collegiate level, it's frankly a "free for all" on schools that they might have went to, to schools they wish they went to, schools that are in their area, and schools that align with their nationality.

BUT- there's no consistency with "having a team", the players change yearly and even Jerry Seinfeld had a joke about cheering for clothes (which was funny then and is funny now because it's true, you're rooting for a uniform). And nobody that's a big "sports fellow" can offer one single data point in where their lives were enriched by following their sport's team.

-LD

Unpopular opinion #11, if you just work harder than the next guy and "pull yourself up from your boot straps" you'll achieve success in your life. 100% hogwash in 2024. Seek George Carlin's opinion on the matter if you feel otherwise.

-LD

Unpopular opinion #12, the entire "fake it until you make it" mantra is a marketing ploy designed to entice folks to spending more than they have to impress people that don't care with hopes that it'll lead to success that won't happen.

-LD

Unpopular (and lucky) #13, societal norms of the past don't amount to a hill of beans- I'm talking about nonsense like elbows on the table, wearing a hat indoors (we all know that you're balding if you do this in your 40's), etc.

-LD

#14 of the unpopular opinion thread, personal religious beliefs don't seem to matter all that much. When my parents were growing up, and likely even more so with their parents, entire communities were split over what church they attended. These days, nobody cares (and maybe that's a problem in itself). But we don't seem to have the Catholic/Protestant/Jewish/etc. neighborhoods these days so maybe that's ok.

We also lost community relations somewhere along the lines, heck I couldn't tell you what my neighbors's names are either (and I kinda like it that way) but... there honestly is zero sense of community these days too and that's somewhat...complicated I'd say.

-LD

Op needs to go to the “what are you drinking right now” thread and take a shot. Seems a little cranky tonight. Meanwhile I gotta go, cause I have to get up EARLY for work. I’ll have a cup of coffee, make a sandwich with MAYO on it, and then probably say the pledge of allegiance on my way to work.
    Not all that cranky at all and I get that it's likely fun to make jokes in a thread you likely don't care all that much about but how about ya just let us have this particular thread and go back to poking fun with other threads here in the pit? Sounds like a "win/win" type of solution, we get to whine in our thread and you get to act superior in other ones. Don't see the downside for you frankly.

-LD

#15 of the unpopular opinion thread- maybe this one is the most important one I have to state before I head to bed, but if you make a salary of $174K and become a multimillionaire within 4 years and this occurs across the board consistently... perhaps it's long since time we start questioning the mathematics of that equation and start holding folks accountable for their sudden increase in wealth while being a "public servant". Just an idea at least... Call me crazy if you will but.. consider the alternative, I'm right, the math doesn't add up, and... nobody cares? But you are inclined to get mad at me for some reason.

Think about that.

-LD